Author Topic: I need help with 2 Great Pyrenees  (Read 9619 times)

Offline pdw01

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
I need help with 2 Great Pyrenees
« on: October 23, 2008, 01:02:54 am »
Sugar and Spice are almost a year old.  We got them 4 months ago, and cannot keep them in a fence.(4 ft high, and elecxtric on top) Currently they are house dogs (gulp) and chew everything in sight.  At night, if there is any paper they can get to, it's shredded.  Last night they chewed a pillow from the sofa.

Can anyone offer a suggestion to contain the guys?  Hubby's ready to give them away.  Right now the next alternative is to pen them with wire on the ground and on top.
Thanks

Pat

Offline einalem

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: I need help with 2 Great Pyrenees
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 01:07:55 am »
My akita loves to chew the sofa pillows, i'm down to three out of about ten. Try keeping them locked in the room with you when you go to bed. It leaves them in a tighter space so there is less roaming of the house while your asleep. Also this is a fault of mine, try walking them for a while right before you go to bed, that why they are a little tired and have less energy.
I love my boys:
Shoda -> Akita
Russell -> Chihuahua Pomeranian
Nemo -> My cat

And the new member of the family,
Lady -> Pomeranian

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 02:38:00 am »
My fencing is wired top and bottom- its not a big deal to run a second strand around the bottom to keep them from going under.  You also have to be absolutely sure your fence is working and not shorting out somewhere- a hot wire WILL contain a Pyr if installed correctly.  To prevent destructive chewing in the house go get some big beef bones from the butcher.  That plus other chewies like rawhides and plenty of exercise should contain the urge to chew.  Dogs love to shred paper- solution is to put it out of their reach  These are still puppies and what you describe is puppy behavior- the key is to re-direct all that puppy energy into acceptable behavior. 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 03:06:32 am »
Lots and lots of toys to chew and a crate for when you are not with them.

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 04:27:16 am »
So far what i have noticed with Rasputin, my 3 year old Pyr, is that his "teething" stage didn't end until he was 2!!!!  When i had him and his brother they were a shredding machine!!!  The only thing that i can tell you is one) paper towels: they are cheap and Rasputin LOVES them!!! bit of a mess though  two) some people have had luck with bitter apple spray and other deterrant sprays.  I have not.  I tried about everyone on the market with no avail.  I probably ended up eating more of it that my boy!!! LOL!!  I agree with the other, Pyr's dont have endless amount of energy.  Tire them out before bed so they sleep through the night.  Out of sight out of mind.  I have had to retrain my husband (who has a chiuahaha so doesn't understand the fact that the counter is not out of reach for a Pyr) to clear off all tables, counters and floors for tasty chewables for a Pyr.  Its taken years but the destruction is down to an all time low!!!  Good luck my dear, dont loose hope.  If you can make it through this frustrating stage you will never regret the joy and love that a Pyr will bring to you and your home.  I will have one for the rest of my life and if you can hold on i think that you will have a new obsession like the rest of us ;) :) :)

Offline a l y s s a

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:05:36 am »
instead of pinning them have you thought about a zip line. find two trees and take a cable from one to the other. then put them on a cable and attach it this allows them to run and play. i am getting my great pyr mason on march 6th i am so excited. but i am ready for these problems also. ;D
Jasmine(lab/chow)
Domino(chihuahua/jack russell)
Abby(shih-tzu)
Bailey(shepard/husky)
Willow(lab)
Mason(great pyrenees)
moe(cat)
missy(cat)
sasha(cat)
cattle(23)

Gentian

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 04:22:29 am »
I assume they go over the fence? I'm always surprised when any dog stays in a 4-foot fence. I've always had jumpers, and I'm grateful when they can't go over my 6-foot fence.

For our fence climber, we tried a few things. One was making him wear a no-jump harness in the yard. It worked, but they can't be left unsupervised lest they try to hang themselves in an escape attempt. There are tilt-in fence toppers you can buy or make that might help, too. We also tried one of those invisible fence bubbles with some success.

Since they're so destructive in the house and escape the yard, I'd also try more exercise. Bored dogs are destructive and inventive, and just roaming the yard isn't enough stimulation for a young, smart dog. In addition to fence modifications, I'd try an exercise program. ;)

Offline PyrPack

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:28:32 am »
I have a 4 ft chain-link fence all around my back yard.  I fostered over 40 dogs in the last 3 years and only one went over it, a young boxer mix.  None of my pyrs have ever gone over it.  I don't know what I'm doing right. For the boxer, I ended up using a wire run between the house and a tree.

Chewing has been the hardest part for me as a dogowner.  My pyrs and fosters have chewed 2 couches, pillows, tools, solar walk lights, doors, walls, my irrigation system and of course shoes.  Xena, my current chewer didn't stop her chewing until she was almost 2 years, though she slowed down by 1 1/2.  Even now, at over 3 years, she gets an urge for the plastic planters by the greenhouse. 

They do grow out of it.  Just pack away anything that it would hurt to lose. 

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 12:40:03 pm »
Try getting some boxes..even if you have to dumpster dive for some behind a business..

Of course with your guys you would want big ones..

Our fur kids love to rip and tear and destroy boxes..
Yes when they are done it is a mess but we know that ahead of time..

It was always bait and switch..redire ct them to what they were allowed to chew and tear up..

the best part is that they tire themselves out playing tug o war and tearing things to peices..and once they are done..we just rake it all up and throw it away..

and they still love it today..even Sir William is getting into the act..being all ferious with head turning and growls..

But I have never had my furniture eaten..and I've had two pyrs..although not at the same time..

you can try it..

now the fense jumping that is a horse of a different color and since I never had that problem I'll leave that to those that have..

don't give up..they are worth it

TATFK