Author Topic: Massachusetts Voters Pleae vote yes on question 3  (Read 8595 times)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Massachusetts Voters Pleae vote yes on question 3
« on: October 24, 2008, 04:18:31 am »
Hi,

Election day is approaching and if you live in Massachusetts please read question 3 on the ballot and vote yes to eliminate greyhound racing in the state.

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepip08/pip083.htm

Link for all 3 ballot questions
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 04:21:13 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Massachusetts Voters Pleae vote yes on question 3
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 04:41:05 am »
If we vote yes to end racing, then the breed of dog will go extinct.  If not extinct then it will go obsolete.  Why can't we just strengthen the regulations in the sport?  I know that they are a great breed, don't get me wrong, although though talking with others, greyhounds love to run, that is what they were bred for and that is what they loveto do, you are taking away something that the breed loves.  Yes there are the jerks who abuse them, and that is why i say strengthen the regulations and rules.  But though talking with the people on the force of vote yes, they do agree with this.  I do think they need to stop the euthanizing and the abuse, but i do think they should still race. 
UNLESS I AM COMPLETELY MISUNDERSTANDI NG THIS

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 05:21:40 am »
I forwarded that link to everyone I know in the state, encouraging them to vote 'yes'. Thanks Winslow's dad!
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 06:35:13 am »
Hi,

Holly is absolutely correct pretty much every breed we now know and own do not practice what they were Bred for, Newfs aren't working on fishing boats, Saints aren's just in the mountains serving brandy to the cold hikers, Pyres aren't gaurding herds exclusively. .. I can go on.

Banning the sport stops the overbreeding, the euthanizing of under achievers and hopefully all Grey's can find loving homes with big yards to run in all they want.

The Industry is bad and treats the animals horribly that is what this vote is stopping!! It does not stop Greyhound owners from raising them and letting them run!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 07:34:38 am »
i understand where you are coming from..JMO in working with people who wants dogs or have dogs, i have never seen anyone with a greyhound pup, i am sure they are out there....but you don't really have people saying oh they want a greyhound puppy.  i think they like the racing, i am for the raceing but yet again stated...UNDER CONTROL, NEW REGULATIONS, and fix it.  why dont they get rid of dog shows then? There are so many dogs that are severily abused at dog shows and yet they continue. There are so many things that are considered dog abuse, so now racing is dog abuse because they are in kennels.  Well many (not all) many show dogs are kept in small kennels at breeders so that the dog will be board out of their mind until it is time to show.  There are many other things in this world that need to be fixed besides worring about dog racing.  I would not own a greyhound, i know they are sweet and loving.  I work with rescues at our work as well, and even the rescues are saying no, they don't like the abuse, although the dogs love doing that.  And as for the great dane and hunting boar....yes i know that they don't go and hunt boar, we don't have boar here in our backyard, although if we did....and sent our dane out...then that would be more animal abuse.  There has to be a limit, why keep adding more and more rules to things? next thing they will be in our homes telling us what we can and can't eat! There already took trans fats out (which i think is great!!!) but...a person should have the option.  How is this a free country when here in MA they are telling you that they are trying to pass a mandatory spay/neuter? a nucence law that if your dog barks they can euthanize them with no questions asked? How can that be? And now we are worried about stopping a working dog?  LIKE I SAID>>>> FIX IT, don't get rid of it!!

ok to prove a point.. how many people here have had greyhound puppies?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 07:42:46 am by Guardian Angel's White lightning »

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 08:04:05 am »
Thank you Holly! I guess my misunderstandi ng is the fact that they will not do anything to improve the circumstances. So it is because of racing that their isn't pet breeders? Gottcha.

If they would improve it, or could somehow, then we would be good to go! Thanks for reinstating what you said!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 03:58:41 pm »
I'm sorry. I don't agree that it needs to be banned.  I see thes numbers of how many dogs are being killed each year and compared to the number of greys being put down, it is astronomical.  I have seen dogs being taken to other states for adoption, some the day they left the track kennel.  These were not abused, shy, screwed up dogs, IMO.  They were healthy, happy, friendly, dogs.  I am not saying it doesn't happen, but I don't think it should be banned.  Let's say it is banned.  What is going to be next?  Hunting dogs shouldn't be hunted?  They get cut up by the wild hogs.  They live in kennels.  Cattle dogs should not be allowed to work cattle?  They get gored, kicked in the head, stomped to death, etc. Sled dogs should not be allowed to pull sleds and race in the Iditarod?  They are abused and can die.  Where does it end?  Realistically, more dogs are abused, neglected, beaten, etc. by private pet owners each and every day, than greys are similarly mistreated at the tracks.  Do we ban pet owning, because some are being hurt?  We have to accept the fact that there will always be abuse, as long as people are alive, of children, women, the elderly, the unfortunate, the poor, animals, etc.  This is just a part of life.  We need to enforce the cruelty and neglect laws we have on the books and stop trying to mandate and ban everything.  JMO
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 10:44:27 am »
Hi,

It was a a fairly close vote but i feel the right side won! Yeah it is nice to feel like your vote makes a difference!!

Time for change!! I can't agree more and I am looking forward to seeing the results!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 03:36:22 pm »

Congratulation s to the state of Mass for taking a great step forward for dogs!

Based on this thread, I am sorry to hear that it sounds like we have a lot of work to do still to educate the public on the disgusting industry of greyhound racing.  I am afraid that the understanding of this issue is even less understood than puppymills, so I hope more work can be done here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfhZMaIGPyE&feature=related

The reality is that the industry needs to be eliminated or else the drive for racing profit will continue to prevail over the health and safety of these dogs.  The notion that racing should not be eliminated because its what these dogs do is really missing the point:  these dogs are designed to run and as sighthounds, track prey - this continues every day in wonderful environments where I live - it's called "lure coursing" and these events allow sighthounds the opportunity to do what they do - run through large open acreage of fields chasing what they love, then returning to the arms of their loving owners and going home to a warm bed.  Lure coursing events, both for competition and pure recreation are fun to watch and my own Berner loves participating - she actually beat the Borzois two years ago!

I hope this conversation continues here so that more can understand the true atrocities done to greyhounds.  It is absolutely NO better than dog fighting and this country has recognized the need to put that to an end.

I hope Mass. sets a precedent.....
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar