Author Topic: NDR - Would appreciate some prayers and positive energy...  (Read 8311 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
NDR - Would appreciate some prayers and positive energy...
« on: October 25, 2008, 01:46:11 am »
Sierra let herself in the house yesterday and we didn't realize, so the back door was standing open for who knows how long and the cats got out.  Oscar, Thank God, chickened out and didn't go off the deck before he came back in, but Gina is still out there.  She's so scared she won't come near us.  We saw her hanging around the house a little last night, and we almost were successful in coaxing her into the house once, but the last we saw her was around 11:30.  She went into some underbrush and disappeared.

Gina was a stray when I rescued her off the streets, so I know she normally would be able to take care of herself, but she now had no front claws and when I think about how she can't hunt for food or defend herself or even climb a tree to safety, I get sick to my stomach.  Oscar and Gina are the first cats I've had declawed.  I have learned my lesson.  I will NEVER do it again.  I put food out for her but it hasn't been touched.  We have an outside cat, Angel, that is territorial and she'll chase Gina away before she has a chance to even get near the house.  We locked Angel in the shed last night, but we can't keep her in there forever.  I just have this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that Gina isn't coming back and it's killing me because I know that if she doesn't come back, it's because she couldn't survive with no claws.  And it will be my fault for having them removed.  I just feel terrible.  She's been spoiled and pampered for the last three years and now she suddenly spent the night outside in a strange place with strange sounds and to make things worse, it's raining.  She probably cold, wet, hungry and miserable.  Never mind being absolutey terrified.

You know when you have a pet, you kind of take it for granted when they are young and healthy and you don't really think about the fact that age and health doesn't guarantee you'll have a lot of time with them.  I mean, Sierra is only a year and a half old, but what if I leave the window open in the car just a tad too much and she jumps out?  Or, what if she has an allergic reaction to bees that we never knew about until she gets stung and it's too late? That happened to someone I knew with their Husky.  Right now I feel like I'm never going to let Sierra out of my sight.  oh God, I don't know if I could bear it if something were to happen to her.

Please pray that Gina gets back safely.  I'm worried sick and I've been crying all last night and started again as soon as I woke up this morning.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 02:04:14 am by Newly Newfed »
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: NDR - Would appreciate some prayers and positive energy...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 02:07:18 am »
I haven't had the chance.  I had to go to work this morning.  I will try when I get home, but to top it off, my engagement party is today, so I'll only have two hours from when I get home until I have a houseful of guests.  I have so many stresses lately and it seems every time I get rid of one, two more are piled on me.  I don't need this now, I feel like I'm about to crack.

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 02:34:37 am »
First, take a breath. If you can still see her in the yard, she probably won't go far. Don't think of all the bad things that COULD happen to her - you'll drive yourself sick. She WILL come back. She knows how good she has it inside.

What about getting a cat trap from the animal shelter? If you put food in and you're not around, she may be hungry enough to go in. Then you can bring her inside when you get home. She'll probably be freaked out and hide for a couple days, but at least she'll be inside.

If you do this, be sure you put the trap in a shady area (Duh, right?)
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 03:03:40 am »
That's a good idea.  Honestly I don't care if she hides.  I don't even care if she hurt and I have yet another vet bill.  She'll heal.  I just want her HOME.

You know, Gina cuddled with me for over an hour the other night.  She's normally not a lap cat and hasn't cuddled with me for months.  Maybe she knew something like this was going to happen?  Animals do have that uncanny sixth sense...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 03:04:16 am by Newly Newfed »

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 02:49:01 am »
Don't be so hard on yourself. She's going to be ok. All 6 of mine got out while I was away for a few days. It took several weeks to get my one male back in. They were all declawed. My sister also has a declawed cat that has lived outside for 5 years and is doing just fine. She will come back where her fear settles down some.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 02:59:11 am »
Sending Gina positive returning home vibes. I had a cat that was declawed when I was younger. She got out one time and managed to climb a tree-- a big one too. So, it can be done without claws and she would even catch a mouse that was in the house..ugh.

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 06:17:02 am »
WOW!!! you have a lot going on right now, breathe... and again, breath...
Ok, cats are amazing!!! i have many in my day and the toughest one still was Spot.  He was 7 lbs tops and front declawed, he would take on full sized racoons outside of our house.  The lay down and kick with their back feet like you've never seen before!! They are fighters!!! 

Down side, if you live in a populated area there is the possibility of cars :( :(  But if she is still running around the yard to the point that you can see here STILL i doubt she is going out in the streets.

Again, breath...

My thoughts are with you :) :) :)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 06:56:57 am »
The lay down and kick with their back feet like you've never seen before!! They are fighters!!!

Funny you should say that...

The good news - she's hanging around the house and she actually came to me last night and I grabbed her.  I had her in my arms!  I was so happy!

The bad news - I went to bed with a bloody hand and no cat.  She doesn't like to be held to begin with and I was trying to scruff her.  In an effort to avoid having my face and neck scratched up by a squirming, flailing cat, I almost dropped her and we both ended up on the ground and she won the fight.  I just hope that the incident didn't kill any chance of her coming to me again.

Thankfully, we don't live near the street we are way back on a mountain.  That unfortunately poses other dangers,  like foxes.  I'm going to keep trying though..

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret