Author Topic: waterless shampoos?  (Read 7128 times)

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
waterless shampoos?
« on: October 27, 2008, 07:33:46 am »
Anyone use these instead of water baths during the cold months??
I received a 8oz bottle of this stuff when I purchased my furminator.  I havent used it yet,  it would take the WHOLE bottle to groom Kira.
 As a refresher it may work for her.
Gunner hates the groomer.  I tried to have him groomed yesterday and he about went through the glass when I tried to leave and he wouldnt stay on the table.
The girl (who isnt my/Kira's regular groomer) said she was too afraid he would hurt himself so she refused to do him adn I was too afraid after seeing him freak out to have someone else try.
Now he is great at home in the shower,  doesnt say peep,  just sits till I tell him otherwise. 
I just cant dry him well(he hates the blow dryer) and I dont want him to get cold. 
In the summer he would run outside and lay in the sun on the concrete and dry that way but it's too chilly now for that.
IF anyone has any suggestions or recommendation s, I am completely open.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: waterless shampoos?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 07:41:30 am »
You could just put him in his crate after showering and put portable heater right next to him for an hour or so  :)
I usually don't wash Lily in the winter and waterless shampoo is just enough to keep her in Ok shape until it gets warmer  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Tonda

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 07:44:59 am »
They get soaked when it rains and they survive that just fine, so if they get muddy and need to be bathed, I just turn the heater on for an hour or so and do it.

AudgePadge

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 07:48:21 am »
Roscoe LOVES water...he LOVES baths... so I don't usually have a problem there, and he loves the towel part... I just use about 4-5 towels, and he's dry...good having shorter hair...

Ramses, hates water...so i use the waterless shampoo...take s forever, but it works. Since he has that long coat, I use the shampoo, then conditioner... It's an organic horse product...I can't remember the name,  ::) I'll get it for you when I get home...

I spray...rub with a towel, chase, then spray the conditioner, chase, then furminator...t otal, about 3 hours.... :o

jesday

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 08:01:09 am »
You could just put him in his crate after showering and put portable heater right next to him for an hour or so 
Gosh, I'd be careful putting a heater up next to his crate. They can get overheated so quickly. Many grooming places used this method and there are cases of dogs dying from overheating.

I got a free sample of waterless shampoo as well with my furminator. It made them smell really good, but didn't do much for actual cleaning.

My bubs don't particularly care for the hair blower either but I got the Airforce Commander and it works quickly to get most of the water off and dry. Just to keep the peace, I don't always dry them completely. They are usually a little damp when I'm done but not totally soaked and they finish drying pretty quickly even in the cold garage which is where they prefer to be these nights. Too hot in house with fireplace and so on.

The Airforce Commander was totally worth the investment for me. ;)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 08:08:02 am »
You could just put him in his crate after showering and put portable heater right next to him for an hour or so 
Gosh, I'd be careful putting a heater up next to his crate. They can get overheated so quickly. Many grooming places used this method and there are cases of dogs dying from overheating.

Not if you put it on low  ;) I sit right next to it all winter and still alive! LOL   
I wouldn't recommend turning it on and leaving the house, of course  :P
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 08:09:27 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 08:15:18 am »
I never thought about trying to kennel him with a heater for a little.
I may have to try that.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 11:08:07 am »
I take my girls to the "Doggie Day Spa" It's a great facility with all the necessities to play dog beauty shop  ;)  I use my own shampoo and conditioner.

I would be apprehensive of using a space heater on my girls, but then I'd be apprehensive of using one indoors for anything. I'm a scardy cat!

;D I do use a space heater on my front porch to put up Christmas decorations ;D
        :o which I heard is in 59 days-YIKES! :o
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:11:32 am by yellow_dog_mom »

Tonda

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 04:05:42 am »
There is always the wet/dry vac option too (if your dog will stand for it). My mom has a Rainbow and is sucks the water right off the dogs! But if your dog won't stand for a hair drier, I doubt he'll let you vacuum him off, LOL!

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 07:10:10 am »
Hi,

Shop vac just put the hose on the exhaust end and blow dry away, the force is pretty good and the air doesn't get too hot for the puppers!!

When done drying put the hose back in the suction end and vacuum up all the hair you blew out!! Works like a charm!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad