Author Topic: Big paws and stairs  (Read 9558 times)

Offline no.newf.ashley

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Big paws and stairs
« on: October 27, 2008, 11:02:11 am »
After some discussion with a few breeders, we've realized that because we live on the second floor of our apartment the stairs have become an issue.  We need to walk up and down the stairs (that are inside) to go out, and it has come up as a little bit of a concern.  I'm aware that we have to be very careful with a growing big paw (like a newf)and were wondering if you guys had any suggestions about getting around using the stairs to get your BP's up and down once they've become well...bigger. ..(to big to carry, but still at the age that they need to be gentle with their limbs).  I would love to hear any advice, and are definitly going to take everything into consideration!
Thanks!
Ashley

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Big paws and stairs
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 11:27:32 am »
I have three newfies .... 11 or 12 stairs to my basement .... 5 or 6 stairs outside both the front and back door .... Absolutely no problems yet !!! I gave up a long time ago trying to make them walk down slowly etc ... our's just fly up and down with no cares in the world .... of course ,they jump on trampolines , climb up the kids' play "rock wall"and slide down the slide too  ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 06:51:56 am »
For my inside stairs I nailed down carpet treads and for the outside ones I painted them with sand in the pain to add traction so she would be less likely to slip. I was told Great Danes can break a leg being careless on stairs. She does look really awkward going down them.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

jesday

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:20:06 am »
You're right- it's impossible to know.  But, it can be safe to assume that there is a genetic + environmental interaction that happens with these pups.  And, since there's nothing that you can do about their genetics, why not give them the best chance by reasonably controlling their environment/health?

I think we might be saying the same thing, for the most part.  I just wouldn't want someone down the line reading this and thinking, "what the h*ll?  I can't do anything about it, so why even try?"  I think it's our responsibility as owners of large dogs to take all of this into consideration, as well as to learn from other's mistakes when we can. 
Kind of on board with this one guys because we are going through the same thing at 1.5years times two. Yes,definitely hereditary issues, but compounded by playmates and rugged terrain. Do they need to be dogs? By all means but as responsible owners we need to control the play time, exercise and obvious joint strain activities. 

We have an expandable ramp we use to get them in and out of the car. As for the many stairs in and out of your apartment, I would keep him on a short leash once he is too big to carry and control his eeaaaase down the stairs until he is at least 2years old.

And to throw in one more monkey wrench. We're looking at $3000 for Sophie's TPLO surgery and Rimdyll/Duramaxx combined with Adequan injections for the life of these beauties.

They are, however, the very best breed of dogs we have ever owned and we have No regrets in getting them.

Okay, we'll forget about the eating of the garage door and the ripping of the carpet and the dog house insulation removal and the... ;)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 12:15:06 pm »
Just to be on the safe side we've restricted access to the stairs in our house.  Everyone knows how to use them but they can only come upstairs by invitation.  This has the benefit of keeping them out of our office and providing a second "dog free" zone for visitors.
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 01:19:23 pm »
i live in the apartment complex where I do because it is all one level.  With Rotts having the lovely ACL issues they do, I don't want to blow one because she's got to go up and down, or carry her up and down with a recently replaced ACL.  IT was a god send when Grace had her right ACL replaced in Feb. of this year and will be a great help when her left one goes (if it does).

Offline no.newf.ashley

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 04:23:23 pm »
Hey guys!  Thank you for all the input, I've definitely taken it all into consideration, and i think so long as you're as proactive as possible, there's not much else you can do.  I was looking at adopting a lovely newf a few hours from me, but havent heard back unfortunatly!  So back to the puppy search it is.  After lots of thought, I think I've come up with a pretty good compromise!  We have 3 good size balconies off our house, so with one of them we'll use puppy pads (so the dog still knows to go "outside" and the house training can still be done) with a lot of the regular potty breaks they need, and then maybe twice a day we'll take the doggy outside to just be able to release some energy they may have, and still be able to enjoy the outdoors.
Thanks for all the wonderful comments.  (good and bad, they are all good to hear and be aware of!!!)

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 09:30:01 am »
But, it can be safe to assume that there is a genetic + environmental interaction that happens with these pups.  And, since there's nothing that you can do about their genetics, why not give them the best chance by reasonably controlling their environment/health?

But then, how do you know which aspects of their environment you should be modifying?

I spent all of last night buried in research articles about canine hip displasia.

I have found solid research that
-there MUST be a genetic link to the disease for a dog to have it
-that an environmental factor that does play on the gravity of the symptoms and the age of onset is nutrition/weight.

About exercise, I found that there are 2 major schools of thought found on the net:
-that exercise must be managed and kept to a minimum during puppyhood to reduce strain on the joints
-that the malfunctioning joints could actually benefit from exercise, seeing as stronger muscles would provide better support and aid in weight management.

The problem: these seem, so far, to be opinions, both of them. These were not research articles, they were not even scholarly sources. There is no citation to any research article, or even a valid authority on the subject.

Maybe I have not looked properly, correct me if I am wrong, but so far I have not found a single article containing evidence that certain forms of exercise will either hasten or worsen the onset of hip displasia.

??? ???
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.