Author Topic: Am I crazy?  (Read 13194 times)

Offline kbnewfjack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Am I crazy?
« on: October 29, 2008, 04:48:11 am »
I'm starting to question my sanity LOL We have an almost 2 year old son and are expecting another child in April. We also just got Jack last week. He is being a typical puppy and very rambunctious and I'm starting to wonder if I'm crazy! LOL

So, how long does this puppy stage last? ha ha

Tonda

Re: Am I crazy?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 04:56:45 am »
Less than it lasts for the skinkids, LOL!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 05:05:35 am »
Puppy stage lasts for different lengths of time, depending on the breed.  My male English Springer was a puppy up until his death at 13.5.  He was still a bouncy, playful, goofy dog, up until about a week before he died.  He was not hyper, even as a puppy, but very playful and mischevious.  Males are usually puppy like longer than females, in my experience.  My pyr is 2 and still gets excited and jumps around like a puppy, from time to time.  If you could watch my IW, Caucasian and Pyr race through the house, out onto the deck, into the backyard and then back, you would think they were all just giant puppies.  The furniture goes flying, if they bounce off of it, I go flying, if I don't get out of the way, etc.  This little cool spell we are having has really energized them.  If you have never been hit, by a 190 pound dog, running and jumping onto the other dogs, you just haven't lived in my house.  Even a glancing blow can be quite painful.  Luckily on tile, you have enough warning to get out of the path of the oncoming steam rollers.  It is rather comical to watch.  They look like huge puppies, playing and tumbling around.  It is very entertaining and we love it, especially when they are grabbing each other by the tail and pulling them backwards.  I wouldn't trade my big dogs for anything. 
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline kbnewfjack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 05:12:15 am »
Yeah, a co-worker told me for another 8 months, I was like, what? LOL I think it will actually get better when he's bigger and I don't have to worry about crushing him becasue he's walking under my feet, or try to see if he's chewing on electrical cords laying behind the couch.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 05:40:15 am »
My last newf didn't settle until almost 3  :o But he was a special newf, not like most  :P ::)
Good luck! I hope you will keep you sanity  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 05:47:07 am »
LOL I think it will actually get better when he's bigger and I don't have to worry about crushing him becasue he's walking under my feet, or try to see if he's chewing on electrical cords laying behind the couch.

In that respect yes, they grow fast so it begins to limit the places they can get in trouble.

YES you are crazy, I hope your lucky enough to have either yourself or your other half able to to be the "stay at home Mom".

There is not really an answer to your question though as it varies so much from dog to dog. Our experience with newfs has been the first year can be really trying in different aspects of behavior, then your good for a while till they hit their terrible twos, after which they all seam to mellow out and become "productive memebers of society".

Tim

Offline kbnewfjack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 05:51:39 am »
Well, neither of us is able to be the "stay at home mom", but my husband does work 3rds (One reason for getting Jack), so he's there to let him out during the day and play with him for about 20 minutes before going back to bed.

Also, how long did you crate yours before you trusted them to be out of it?

lookingfornewf

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:59:13 am »
Yes you are crazy, hope you are enjoying it.
I crated Clifford everytime I left the house until 1 yr old, he is 14 mos now. When I leave him out now I do have to make sure there are no food like things out and I still usually come home to chewed up paper towels or kleenex. If I can't get everything "Clifford ready" I will still crate him when I leave. My Jack Russel I didn't trust out of the crate for a few years.

Offline kbnewfjack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 06:37:42 am »
Yeah, everyone told us we shouldn't get him becasue of the baby coming. But...I look at it like this - we were going to get a dog within the next year or so anyways, so I would rather have him and get him potty trained and somewhat calmed down before I have the baby then have to put up with a very young puppy, a baby, and a toddler.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:38:57 am by kbnewfjack »

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 02:07:51 pm »
Good luck with such a full household!

Bear has always been a chill dog- very mellow- and has never been crated. I'd say the puppy stage was over quickly but the teenage years & attitude lasted a but longer.  ::) He threw temper tantrums & ate a few heels off my favorite shoes when he was mad at me for being gone too long. Hang in there!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 06:04:35 pm »
We only crate when they were very small and being potty trained. We just hardly use crates which seem so popular. Our dogs have all been very good, with only the occasional item chewed. Toilet paper being a favourite..... ......I think they watch the ads on TV. As to puppyhood, how long have you got.
My last newf, Annabelle is still a puppy at 18months old. She can be so silly and happy. Maybe because she was a rescue. We just keep our dogs very busy when we are home and we do a lot of training. Annabelle was completely out of cntrol when we first got her four or so month ago, but now she is an "angel"
And pretty good. We also have an outside run with kennel room attached for the long away times. I really do not like to keep her in the house for longer then six hours. And she has to doggie friend to keep her occupied. A lone dog can get into a lot of mischief. I find owning multiple dogs much easier.

Annabelle on the obstacle course in sit and stay mode
Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos

Offline charlie baby

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 01:52:26 am »
Hang in there, our 7 month old has been a handful.  He wasn't at first but when he hit about 6 months and realized he was tall and can reach what ever he wants that's when he became trouble.  He gets into garbage cans and anything on the counter.  He is still crated at this point and will be until he's a year I would think.

Laura

Offline LDT

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 04:53:37 am »
You think you might be crazy? We have three of the buggars! We got two at the same time at the age of 7 weeks. All I can tell you is that I would want more! Like your newborn, embrace the stages, they make your day, and you will laugh at them when you look back. The stuff they wreck and chew  are only things, they can be replaced. Now, I'm not advocating letting them go wild and do what they want. They need guidance and patience for a little while, and that small investment lasts their and your lifetime. I have had many breeds throughtout my life, but these Newfs are just precious. Read about crating, it really is the best way to get a leg up on things.
I have tried nothing and I'm all out of Ideas!

jesday

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 05:16:35 am »
All I can say is...Bwaaaaaah aaaaahaaaaa!

Aww, that wasn't in the spirit of Christmas.

Ho Ho Ho  ;D

Seriously though, these are the only dogs we've had that can do the damage they've done and hubs goes, "it's my fault. I knew I should have reinforced, blocked, not left....But look at those faces."  ;) ;)

Pretty soon you'll be posting, "Does anybody else's Newf sleep all day?" :D

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 11:52:28 am »
May as well lump the baby and puppy phase together.  You'll be awake all the time with a new baby anyway.  May as well be awake with a puppy too.  That way you'll have some peace and quiet to look forward to. 
Puppy phases can be longer for some dogs than others.  Grace is just now starting to act like a grown up and she's almost 4.  She's the eternal puppy.  It's not so bad since she sleeps all night and is pretty calm sometimes.  But other times, she gets into things and gets a burst of energy like a puppy would.  It just depends on the dog and the personality.  You'll have to sit back and see which way it'll go for you.