Author Topic: Housebreaking woes - with an update!  (Read 4535 times)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Housebreaking woes - with an update!
« on: November 01, 2008, 01:51:01 pm »
Okay fellow BPOers, I need your help.  Fargo, our new Newf puppy, is NOT getting the housebreaking idea at all.  The problem seems to be two pronged.

1.  He really likes to spend most of his time outside.  It's understandable because it's probably cooler outside especially at night.  The serious outside time leads to problem two though.

2.  When he comes in, he's excited and then potties in the house. 

He seems to have his inside and outside rules reversed.  Most puppies wake up inside and it's easy to get them outside to potty.  He tends to wake up outside and then come in to do his business.  Although I will say that he will hang out with us inside in the evening, eat dinner, spend 30 minutes outside and wait until he comes in to poop.

So how do we get him to enjoy spending time inside so that we can move forward on housebreaking? 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 02:53:01 am by Ursa »
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Re: Housebreaking woes - with an update!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 03:00:09 am »
Last night we were determined to keep Fargo inside where we could supervise him so our house now has more baby gates than a daycare.  God help us if we have a fire!  After Fargo pooped IN THE CAR yesterday we knew we needed to take serious action!

We have a really open floor plan so it wasn't easy to find gates that were wide enough but he's now confined to just the kitchen and living room (it's really one big room) when we're home so that he's easier to watch.  We stripped our bedroom down to just the bare essentials, put him in there with us, several toys and a puppy pad covered by a towel and shut the door. I don't know why but he likes to poop on blankets and towels. 

He did pretty well.  Only one accident on the floor but I'll give him credit for aiming at the towel. 

We do own a crate btw.  In fact we have two.  Crate training is still a work in progress for him.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:14:37 am »
I swear by the puppy pads now after Kaila.  She was great about using them from the get go and if she had an accident it was usually that she just missed the pad.  Are the accidents all day or only at night.  Kaila and Shiner would get startled at loud or odd noises when they were taken outside to potty at night.  Then we would have to come inside and let them settle and then go back out again and try it all over again.  Shiner is still really easily distracted outside and so I just bring him in and then go back out in a few minutes and try again.  I know that's not much help but good luck. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 01:05:38 pm »
The accidents happen both day and night.  Like Shiner, Fargo is easily distracted outside.  He thinks he's out there to play - not potty.  It would help if he would potty while on the leash because I feel like we could keep him more focused.  So far he's refused to do that.

He's been better today since we installed all of the extra baby gates.  Only one accident last night and none so far today.  That's a huge improvement!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 01:08:49 pm »
How about taking him outside potty on a leash only until he "goes"? then you can take a leash off and have a party???
That way he will learn that he can only have a party after taking care of business  ;) :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)