Author Topic: Should I bother?  (Read 5980 times)

jesday

Should I bother?
« on: October 31, 2008, 03:12:50 am »
I'll try to synopsize. Sophie-Syrus, Christmas surprise. I questioned breeder on inherent health issues and about sire/dam. She said both were heart certified, sire had been OFA'd and bitch came form parents who were both OFA'd.

Found out yesterday Syrus has elbow dysplasia :'( which has strong heredity factors. And I'm now concerned about Sophie as she is acting very stiff in front legs.

There were many red flags when talking to the breeder, but what's a person to do when someone shows up Christmas day with too adorable puppies with a house full of people and kids ooing and awwing and newfie pup personalities and... Okay, okay you get the picture.

So, my question is, do I bother to contact the breeder and let her know what is going on with Syrus in the hopes she will look into her breeders (sorry if I'm not using proper breeding terminology)? My hope is she will not continue to use same dogs if Syrus' condition truly is because of heredity. But I'm guessing she is just breeding to make some extra money and will not take heed. Did I mention she has 8 human children?

Icerotti

Re: Should I bother?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 03:45:40 am »
I certainly think it would be worth mentioning to her. I would hope she would not continue to breed the dogs with issues. At least you made her aware of the problem(s).

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 03:49:32 am »
By all means contact the breeder- they need to be kept abreast of problems that develop in their puppies.  You cannot always foresee problems but you can prevent them from occurring again.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 05:55:14 am »
Do you have their pedigrees? Have you actually looked on
OFA website and checked parents records?
http://www.offa.org/
I should definitely contact the breeder and let her know about pups issues, even if she wont do anything about
it  :-\
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

jesday

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 07:54:21 am »
One of the reds flags from initial breeder meeting (Christmas day at the house, pups in hand) was she only showed me the pedigree for the sire and wouldn't let me make a copy. I never followed up on AKC registering because I knew we would spay/neuter both babies.

I have written many emails to her in my head, but trying to calm down. Play nice, diplomatic, etc.

I hope she listens (reads). Maybe she at least won't breed the same pair.

Here's hoping ???

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 01:26:58 am »
Despite how shady the breeder appeared to be at your meeting, you should still let them know of Syrus' elbow dysplasia. If they are responsible breeders, they'll use that info to look into which of their lines is introducing the dysplasia into their puppies.

With Rosie's recent back leg problems (torn ACL that required TPLO surgery and a medial luxating patella that required more surgery), we've kept her breeder updated even though these weren't necessarily hereditary. Our breeder's great about wanting to keep updated about all of her pups.
Rosie - Newfoundland