Author Topic: Info about Dog Food...............  (Read 17113 times)

Offline Akitamom08

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Porscha- My American Akita
    • View Profile
Re: Info about Dog Food...............
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 05:02:12 pm »
Well i want to thank you all, and sorry things got so out of hand! :)
All i want is for my dogs to be health and Happy. I know they are VERY happy so i wanted to make sure they are eating healthly foods. I love my dogs so much! They mean the WORLD to me!!

So can somone explain to me what i should be looking for in dog foods (Ingredients wise). The good and the bad. And can somone also give me a list of dog foods that you recommend. My dogs are not Allergic to anything so far....If that helps.....

Thank you all  :)

Proud Owner Of
*Black Labrador Mix - Mercedes
*American Akita - Porscha

"If dogs dont have souls, then look into a Akitas eyes"
•*´`*•.AMY,PORSCHA,& MERCEDES•*´`*•

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 12:47:51 am »
Moderation is a consideration as well.  Food ingrediant lists can be daunting but the general trend is to go with natural ingrediants and less grain products.  Consideration needs to be for availability and costs as well as how YOUR dog does on the food.  Its all well and good to spend $70 or more for a bag of dog food but if your dog is thin on that brand then perhaps its not a good choice.  I reviewed many of the dog foods at k9cuisine.com and some of them looked good enough for me to eat.  BUT $162.00 for 27 pounds??????  Give me a friggin break!

As much as many on this list dislike some of the long time brands like Purina and Eukanuba the fact remains that they are still widely used and a lot of dogs do very well on them.  So the best advice is to feed the best you can afford and the food that your dog does well on

Tonda

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 03:56:29 am »
I reviewed many of the dog foods at k9cuisine.com and some of them looked good enough for me to eat.  BUT $162.00 for 27 pounds??????  Give me a friggin break!

I don't know which one that is ( nd I don't want to know *shudder*) but they sell Eagle Pack Holistic for $10 a bag LESS than my local pet shop, plus free shipping and no tax!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 04:18:44 am »
Me too- my dogs are free fed and stay on the thrifty or lean side.  But there is a difference between lean and hip bones that stick up like a cows!  If your dog isn't maintaining a healthy weight on a certain food it really doesn't matter how much you spent on that brand- its time to change.  

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 04:22:16 am »
I didn't want to reply but I HAVE to since "patrick" is actually talking to me  :)
Lily is 80 lbs and eats 2.5 cups of Orijen a day mixed with a half can of green tripe plus some treats. Pat thinks it is NOT enough no matter how much I pay for it  :P I think my dog looks fantastic, she is super healthy and skinny, just like me  ;D I am 15 lbs underweight and LOVE it!
Oh, yeah, my hips are sticking out too  :P :)

P.S. Lily sleeps 20 hours a day and feeding requirements listed on the bag fall in her intake
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 04:29:04 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 04:33:58 am »
'Why not choose one that's as healthy as you can reasonably afford?'

I agree and that is what was said.

"So the best advice is to feed the best you can afford and the food that your dog does well on".

And my post was not directed to Lily's mom- it was in response to a discussion about prevalent brands like Iams etc which is what this discussion was originally about.  The determining factor in dog food choices should always be first how well the dog does with that particular food.  More expensive does not always equate to better

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 04:45:11 am »

And my post was not directed to Lily's mom-
Good  :) Because two skinny ladies want to be left alone  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 06:55:05 am »
First of all. I have only been a member for about 8 months now. I can tell you that everyone here is PASSIONATE about their pets and I think it is sometimes hard to read "tone" in typing. However, my dog Tink had a scare with a "bad bag" of IAMS when she was about 4 months old and I was hysterical. This forum helped me research and find a new dog food I feel confident in giving my "baby". I feed Innova large breed puppy. He coat and even her temperment have improved. I was just on their website today requesting coupons (which they are happpy to send out) and they have a video on their home page I think you should check out about their quality control and manufacturing (which they do all in house). It was quite impressive. I could not believe some of the things I found out in my internet research as to what goes into the "common" grocery store dog food. I will never feed it again. Holly was a life saver, she is a bundle of good advice and info on the subject. I love INNOVA and don't think I will ever change. It is a bit pricey, but my dog eats less. She is over 100lbs at 10 months (OMG, the vet thought she would top out at 90) and still only eats 4 cups a day, so the bag lasts longer and offsets the price.

I don't know if I helped, but good luck.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

AudgePadge

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 07:47:14 am »
I can eat Ramen noodles every day for dirt cheap. It wouldn't cost much at all and I could get full on it.  But since Ramen has so many empty calories and no protein, I'd have to eat a ton of it to get full...which means I get really fat, would not have a balanced diet and feel icky all the time. Not to mention the salt intake.  So, it would be cheaper to buy it at the store, but I'd likely have elevated blood pressure from too much salt, too much food and too much weight. Blood pressure and being overweight are awfully expensive in the long run...

....as I'm eating Ramen at my desk...hahaha