Author Topic: How would you housetrain a 2 year old dog?  (Read 7632 times)

Offline CadillacQueen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
How would you housetrain a 2 year old dog?
« on: November 03, 2008, 03:26:51 pm »
I recently Dane-Rescued a two year old purebred Great Dane called Shanty.

She'll go outside to pee, but only if you open the door once she barks for it to be opened.

It's pretty cold at the moment, and we don't have a big enough kennel yet, so she's inside overnight.
Trouble is, when people are asleep, when she barks for the door to be opened....no-one hears, and pee gets on the carpet.
Eeek.  :-[

So, how can I teach her to pee on a pile of newspapers?
As she was a rescue, she's timid and if you try to pat her or reward her with a treat for going near the newspapers, she cowers and thinks she's being punished.
If you use a gentle tone and praise her, she cowers.

She's getting better around people, but you cannot praise her, she's just too timid, and I hate shoving her outside on such a terrible set of nights.

Any advice, BP-ers?

Offline CadillacQueen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: How would you housetrain a 2 year old dog?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 07:00:37 pm »
I'm confused, she's telling you she wants to go out to go potty and you want her to pee inside on papers? Only during the night, when it's too cold out and there's no shelter in the backyard for her to go into.

Where do you have her sleep that you can't hear her? She has a bed in the room with me but she prefers to sleep on the kitchen tiles next to the backyard door. She doesn't 'bark' as in loudly "woof" she whines quietly like "woooooo". If I'm asleep, it's very difficult to hear her.

Is she not in the house with you?
In your room?
^^^^

Also, you plan on keeping her outside? Once the kennel is delivered.

Offline CadillacQueen

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:01:06 am »
Well, the thing is, her previous owners kept her inside until she was 12 months old, then switched to keeping her outside when their twins arrived.

so she's been inside/outside 50/50 and definately prefers being outside.
The doggy bed inside that we ordered is largely ignored, and she prefers to pace in front of the backyard door, or lie in front of it so she can see outside.

As soon as a door is opened, she bolts for it, and will lie shivering outside until we can entice her back inside.

Offline BrewMaster

• Ankle Biter
  • My dog is a giant creature from the muppet show!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 11:13:09 am »
Buy a baby monitor and set it up in the kitchen.  turn the speaker up to full blast so you can hear her whining to go out at night. 

Brutus was used to being an outdoor dog too...so much so that he even marked our walls a few times when he first arrived. :D  Day by day though, he is really coming to love being an inside dog.  Like your dane, he prefers the kitchen for now and we are not pushing him to explore other areas.  He'll do it when he's ready.
-Anna
Brutus - 50% Pyrenees, 25% Irish Wolfhound, 25% St. Bernard

Penny - Welsh Corgi Mix

Peggy Sue - Blue & Gold Macaw

Benny & BatToo - Cockatoos

...And Flock!

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 04:37:09 am »
I'm confused, she's telling you she wants to go out to go potty and you want her to pee inside on papers? Only during the night, when it's too cold out and there's no shelter in the backyard for her to go into.If you're ultimate plan is to leave her as an outside dog then it has to be YOU who doesn't want to go outside?? Go to your pet store, buy a horse lunge line and attach it to her collar, she goes outside to pee, you stay in the nice warm house and reel her in when she's done!

Where do you have her sleep that you can't hear her? She has a bed in the room with me but she prefers to sleep on the kitchen tiles next to the backyard door. She doesn't 'bark' as in loudly "woof" she whines quietly like "woooooo". If I'm asleep, it's very difficult to hear her.

Is she not in the house with you?
In your room?
^^^^

Also, you plan on keeping her outside? Once the kennel is delivered.

I myself just got a 1 year old female Bullmastiff who was not completely housebroken. I was told she was trained to ring a bell if she wanted to go out, so we put a bell on the door...it never rang. You have to treat your new dog like a new puppy! My pup was the same way, she didn't make any obvious signs that she wanted to go out and didn't want to do ANYTHING that would get her into any trouble. She would pee and then run to cower, you couldn't tell her no without it breaking your heart. So consistency and lots of love paid off, 5 months later we have a fully trained Pup who now rings the bell...which I never taught her to do, so was she really not trained OR adapting to us? Your new Pup doesn't know what to expect from you, doesn't know the rules of the house, but may know the consequences of making the "pack leader", which is now you, upset. It took 3 months for Kahn to start to settle in. Now at the 5 month mark, we have completed an obedience class, she's successfully housebroken and looks to us for love and a cuddle. You get what you put into it.