Author Topic: Feeding my OEM  (Read 13350 times)

Homers Mom

Feeding my OEM
« on: November 06, 2008, 02:18:23 pm »
HELP!!!!!!!  What does everyone feed there OEM puppy?  I am the PROUD new owner of a 4 month male Mastiff named Homer.  I usually use Eukanuba but no where around here sells large breed formula.  I have a breeder locally I called and aske dher what she feed.  She recommended Diamond.  So I bought Diamond Lamb and Rice Large Breed puppy.  Its been over a week now since we switched and his stools still are not firm.  Plus....just today since 1pm he has pooped 6 times!  Its now only 7:30!  It seems to run right thru him or do OEM just poop this much???  Ha ha  I used to own a Newfie and he didn;t this much!  So any food advice is appreciated!

Homers Mom

Re: Feeding my OEM
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 02:32:53 pm »
Pics of Homer.  He is about 17-18 weeks of age now.  I will get more pics soon!

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 06:05:50 pm »
not to be a bum..but this is what i found on the eagle pack site on the performance food...how can this be good?

Chicken Meal, Ground Yellow Corn, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Pork Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Ground Brown Rice, Anchovy & Sardine Meals, Brewers Dried Yeast, Corn Gluten Meal, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Lecithin, Inositol, Kelp, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. subtilus, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.

Offline mtays

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 08:18:57 pm »
Hey,
This is assuming you live in the US [which i do not]... Back To Basics is a food made specifically for OEMs.  It don't know if its sold everywhere, but I guess its worth checking.  Just be thankful that you live in the States, your food is much better than ours is in Canada!!
Murphy ~ Black Lab
Morgan ~ Bernese Mountain Dog
Marley ~ English Mastiff

Homers Mom

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 01:33:10 am »
Thanks for all the replies.  I was on here for two hours last night reading food questions!  Alot of the foods they mention are not even sold around here.  I have to drive almost a hour just to get foods like Purina Pro Plan, Eukanuba, Diamond, Royal Cannin and Science Diet which I hate Science Diet.  I try not to buy anything that has the first ingredient as meal or by-product.  I want a meat listed first!  Royal Cannin seems to be getting popular around here and I have heard of Eagle, I think there is one place who sells it.  I used to love Eukanuba, but since Iams sells at WalMart now and was bought out I feel the same, its not as good.  Thats where I have started looking again!  My friend uses ProPlan Giant on her Great Dane...any suggestions there?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 01:58:23 am »
Thanks for all the replies.  I was on here for two hours last night reading food questions!  Alot of the foods they mention are not even sold around here.  I have to drive almost a hour just to get foods like Purina Pro Plan, Eukanuba, Diamond, Royal Cannin and Science Diet which I hate Science Diet.  I try not to buy anything that has the first ingredient as meal or by-product.  I want a meat listed first!  Royal Cannin seems to be getting popular around here and I have heard of Eagle, I think there is one place who sells it.  I used to love Eukanuba, but since Iams sells at WalMart now and was bought out I feel the same, its not as good.  Thats where I have started looking again!  My friend uses ProPlan Giant on her Great Dane...any suggestions there?
You CAN buy good food online with free shipping and get in in a couple of days as they ship FedEx
http://www.k9cuisine.com/
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Homers Mom

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 02:37:48 am »
Thanks for the great replies.  We are very rural here and I use a great farm vet, but no one in my area cares about food!  I Do!  I am on the website now and a few more questions to verify I am looking correctly.  Eagle Holistic Large breed puppy in the green bag.  When do I switch to the adult Large breed?  I know they say not to leave Giant Breeds on puppy for very long.  The Giant adult formula I would want is the orange bag?  And this is a good food and will also firm up his stools?  This morning at 4:50 he was whining in his crate....I got up to let him out and he had messed in his crate.  I let him out and when we went to come back in I saw he had stepped in it and I had poop paw prints all the way to the door!  So I spent all morning on my knees scrubbing carpets!  And cream shag type at that!  Ha ha.  Dogs, gotta love em!   ;D

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 02:46:22 am »
I have been feeding my 9 mo old OE/Bullmstiff X Solid Gold Wolf King and he has been doing good on it.
Eventually, I will be switching him over to grain free,  the same thing that I feed my 7 year old Akita.
I often order canned food from K9cuisine.com,  especially the tripe.  It does not take long to get either and a few times they sent a 10% off your next order coupon.
I live in a city that has limited access to GOOD food for my guys.  I do drive 45 mins and across a state line to get my Akita's grain free though.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Homers Mom

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 06:46:34 am »
I did a search and I found the Eagle about a hour from here.  Its also priced at $47.99 for 33lbs so the website does mark up their prices to offset shipping.  The lady who works there has a 9 mon OEM and she feeds the same.  So I bought two bags ( to last awhile) and we will see how it goes!  Wish up luck and thank you all for everything!  If Homer continues to be as good as he is....we will be adding another OEM next spring to our family!

Offline mtays

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 03:38:52 pm »
What I've heard through asking questions about when I should switch my OEM to adult food is that there is no hard and fast rule.  Whenever your puppy stops growing and just starts gaining weight is generally the best time to switch to the adult food.  This means that when your puppy starts gaining fat over the ribs and spine to the point that you can't even feel them its time to switch.  Can't really vouche for it too much, but it's the best answer I've gotten so far...
Murphy ~ Black Lab
Morgan ~ Bernese Mountain Dog
Marley ~ English Mastiff

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 07:16:41 am »
I feed my giant breed Innvoa LG Puppy and I love it. She had a bad experience with a "bad bag" of IAMS when she was about 4 months old. Now, she eats less, poops less and is growing astronomically! She is 10 months and 100 lbs with just 4 cups a day. Some days she doens't eat even that much. Innova has a very impressive video of their production and quality control process on their website. www.nutrapet.c om. I have emailed them twice and they have sent me coupons on two seperate occasions. A set for $8.00 off and the last set for $5.00 per bag. Complete Pet Mart and Jacks Aquarium carry it and they have a baker's dozen special. Buy 12 bags and the 13th is free. Right now the 33lb bag is on sale for 49.99 usually 54.99. I love this food, she does great on it and I have convinced friends and family to switch (even those without big paws)to a Innova product appropriate for their fur kids. You won't be disappointed!
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline chanceNcooper

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 08:31:36 am »
I'm glad you asked this question. I was just getting ready to but saw your post. I'll need to print it out for my husband. He isn't used to giant breeds only large breeds and insists our dog will be fine on the same food because it is cheaper and the economy and yadayada...I keep telling him we will pay thousands more in the end if we don't switch because there is no way I WON'T treat our dog when needed..so he needs to choose between a healthy dog with pricey food or cheap food and one the guilt of not doing our dog the service he deserves and two the medical bills because not dealing with it isn't an option in my book :) Thanks everyone for all the great information.
Chance - yellow lab 6 years old
Cooper - Mastiff 10 weeks old

Offline bseacheney

• Gnawer
  • I love my dogs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 08:33:42 am »
I have a 24 week old male mastiff. I had the same problems! When we got him at 8 weeks we weened him off the breeders puppy chow and put him on Eagle Pack Holistic Giant puppy. He never really liked the taste and pooped alot. Since then, we discovered he shouldn't be on puupy food very long. We put him on adult at 4 months. He is now on Canidae chicken and rice. I pefered Innova, but you have to keep on eye on the protein. You don't want protein higher then about 25%. There are alot of good foods out there. I believe in Holistic and I switch the food alot so they get all the goodies. Good luck. Aren't Mastiffs the best?