Author Topic: Loki and his table manners  (Read 4785 times)

Viking Lady

Loki and his table manners
« on: November 07, 2008, 06:17:23 am »
Two of my daughters and their little ones came for lunch yesterday and it was such a beautiful day that we wanted to eat out on the patio. Their kids are the ones that are being exposed to Luke. It has become less frequent as he got bigger because they began to run from him screaming "Ahh.....monste r!"

Yesterday our mission was to teach him how to let us eat without bothering us. I want him to go lie down while we eat and then he will get something. I put his short leash around the chair away from us and gave him his bone and he laid there and did pretty well. But I am using the little nylon leash alot now and wondered if that's a good way to train him. When the little ones are here outside, they are 1,2,and 3 I keep him on this little leash to keep him from jumping. He's very sweet to them, it is only his size and weight and the fact that he is exited. I just keep saying "gentle" when he is around them and tug a little on the leash.

Now I have rambled too much. What I want to know is if the leash is an ok idea. It APPEARS that if I do that for a while when they are here, I can let him off and he is less rambunctious.

lookingfornewf

Re: Loki and his table manners
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 07:12:01 am »
I have a short leash for Clifford that I use for the first 5-15 minutes after people arrive. He gets so excited and then after that I take it off and he is fine. He is actually better when we go to other peoples houses. I am also working on getting him to leave us alone while we eat. I am having good luck with having his bed not too far away, telling him to go to bed and giving him a treat and then telling him to stay. I think if they know where they are suppose to be it helps.
By the way Clifford is 14 months old and is getting calmer in most areas except when people first come to the door.

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 12:05:36 pm »
Yay! That's what I wanted to hear. It's that first period of time that is the worst.

I'm also screwing up with rewards, I guess. Luke will do any command I have taught him instantly if he thinks I have a treat. But if I don't he completely ignores me. When he comes in the house,after a while I want him to lie down. He will lie down but he won't stay down. So I was trying to give him little chewy things to keep him still and I guess that was the wrong way to do it.

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 11:58:44 pm »
Luke will do any command I have taught him instantly if he thinks I have a treat.

Apollo and Zeus used to be the same way.  Would only come inside from the yard if we shook our box of bisquits, and even that was only about 50% of the time.  We had to find different motivators for them.  Now they'll come running if I sit on the ground and make funny noises (because they're incredibly curious!) and they'll sit just because they know I won't give 'em hugs and kisses if they're butts aren't on the floor.  Be patient and persistent, and with time you'll figure out what makes Loki tick - other than treats, of course!