First off let me correct my type-o! I own not Won my Mastiff! Ha ha. Secondly, no I do not have puppy fever....thats why I feel I should wait till Homer is grown. I raised all three of my Newfies together from puppies and it was easy....but they were also outside in my privacy fenced yard I had at that time. I never went thru any teenage years with them....and Homer acts just like them. I have raised dogs in the past and I also managed a shelter and worked for a vet so I am not new to dogs or teh "teenage" years at all. I just wanted a opinion from someone who has raised two OEM together inside from pups. As for the price.....we are in a rural area. For example..My sister lives in Boston and Labs sell for $800-1000 there. Here they sell for $150-300. Most Mastiffs in my area sell for around $700-800 and they are quality. Locally you can not sell for bigger prices cause no one here will pay that. Unless you will ship a dog ( which I will not do) you wil lbe stuck with a entire litter at a big price. My friend used to raise them and got out about a year ago...champion bloodlines on both parents sides and she got $500 out of them most of the time. In my area right now nothing is selling at all. You can get Tcup Yorkies and Poodles for around $300 right now here and usually they are $800-1000. Small dogs here are popular ...big dogs are not. And I worry at that price some idiot with no knowledge will get one and it will end up in a shelter. I have seen it happen many times when I managed one.
I can not see Homer rebeling....he might....but I doubt it. He is a exceptional pup. My male Newf was the same way and we never had any teenage years with him. This is why I am hesitant to get another....I think it will make Homer tend to act more like a teenager. Been thru those teenage years with my labs I use to raise....I don;t wanna go there again! LOL
In Idaho, as in all states, because of the economy, high quality dogs are being sold at incredibly affordable prices. Excellent Bred dogs are also being taken to the shelters. There are plenty of BPO members (I am one of those rescue queens) who work rescue and will attest to this fact. I would check out the puppies and not allow the price to deter you. You can always ask Ms Dog Breeder for references as to who purchased the rest of the litter.
If you truly want another puppy, can afford to take care of the puppy, have the time and energy, I would definitely investigate further.
I have chronic puppy fever...Chanti
lly struggles daily to get out of my arms
, and wonders endlessly, "WHY is MOM always smelling my breath."