Author Topic: Pedi Paws  (Read 17112 times)

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Pedi Paws
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 10:41:59 am »
it started to smell like smoke  :o

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 11:12:16 am »
yeah.  i had it on her nail for about 3 seconds and I could smell smoke...or smell the nail getting hot and smelling funny.  neither one of us liked that.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 11:45:16 am »
yeah.  i had it on her nail for about 3 seconds and I could smell smoke...or smell the nail getting hot and smelling funny.  neither one of us liked that.
I assume you left the tool on the nail too long or applied too much pressure. Here is what instructions say:

"-You never, ever apply pressure to the nail with grinding head. Allow the speed of the spinning drum and the friction of the sand to do the grinding. If you apply pressure, it will press on the quick and it will get too hot. Both mean that your dog will be uncomfortable and unhappy.
-Never keep the Dremel in one spot longer than three seconds and never do the same nail for more than three seconds continuously. Once again, this will cause the head and the nail to get too hot. You will burn and hurt your baby. I alternate around nails and then come back to allow cooling time. I usually do two paws at a time. So, I do one nail for 3 seconds, the next, the next and the last. Switch paws and repeat on other paw. Return to first paw and repeat whole sequence."
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 11:57:47 am »
I don't know what it was.  I tried it for 3 seconds while Grace was wiggling and fighting and growling.  I tried it again and didn't have time to apply any pressure before she jumpped around me even though i was practically pinning her to the couch. 
all i can figure is a large dog's nails are a lot thicker needing more time to do each.  when i have to do her nails so quickly to keep her from getting mad, this is going to be too time consuming. 
the odds are stacked against me with this devise.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 01:40:06 pm »
I don't know what it was.  I tried it for 3 seconds while Grace was wiggling and fighting and growling.  I tried it again and didn't have time to apply any pressure before she jumpped around me even though i was practically pinning her to the couch. 
I think you took the whole thing took fast  :(
It takes a while for dogs to get used to a dremmel, blow dryer, etc. You can't expect to a dog to like weird things right away. That is why the instructions posted earlier said TAKE IT SLOW! Very slow...over a week or sometimes even longer because it is worth it in the end  ;) :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline goldensaint723

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2008, 09:37:35 pm »
My aunt just got pedipaws 2 weeks ago and she loves it and it works great on her puggle and now you can buy it at our local grocery store so Im thinking of picking it up and trying it on my dogs. There not scared of the nail clippers at all they have all become quite accustomed to lay down get nails done and feet trimmed at the same time, but most of the time I only do there front feet first then like 2 days later do the back feet.LOL. You try sitting there with scissors and nail clippers doing three saint bernards its tiring. Especially clipping that horrid foot hair. I wish they would come up with something easier for that besides a groomer. Thank god my dogs are patient.
Owned by 3 saints and a Jack Russell Terror
Cujo saint bernard
Macey saint bernard
Kodiak saint bernard
Angel Jack Russell
 River waiting at the bridge

Tonda

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 04:48:06 am »
I will admit to giving up on it. My pups just hated it. They aren't crazy about the clippers, but it's much easier to clip a nail here or there while they sleep then it is to deal with the pedipaws thingie.

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • My fur-kid, Tucker, at 16 months.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 05:58:24 am »
Tucker just got PediPaws for Christmas (from the cats, LOL) and we are still acclimating him to it, but so far so good. I was able to do a whole paw the second day, but his nails were just trimmed 2 weeks ago at groomers, so there wasn't much to file down. 

I did test it on myself first to see how it felt- its not too bad, better than I expected. And its also quieter than I expected.
Sarah
Mom to daughter, McKenna,
With us for 40 weeks, 1 day
Silently Born Into Eternity
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese
Simba, 2 years, Orange Tabby
Mom to one reptile-teenager,
Trevor, 16 years, red-eared slider turtle