Author Topic: Our new Berner!  (Read 5247 times)

Offline katiejoh

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Our new Berner!
« on: November 11, 2008, 10:53:38 am »
Hi, my name is Katie and my boyfriend and I just bought a Berner named Turbo. I am absolutely in love with this puppy but will admit that he may not have been the first choice for a first-time owner like myself! We've had him for three days and our breeder told us that he'd never been in a house before we picked him up on Saturday and I know that's definitely going to make it harder! I'm just looking for advice and tips to help us train him. We plan on doing puppy obedience as soon as he gets his third round of vaccinations in a couple of weeks. Turbo hates walks (we're careful to only go around the block three times a day - don't want to hurt his joints!) and he HATES his kennel. I know it takes time, but even luring him with treats doesn't work! Of course house breaking is going to take time as well so I won't even ask about that.  :) Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the advice! I'm anxious to hear from others. This breed is wonderful!

Offline Akitamom08

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Porscha- My American Akita
    • View Profile
Re: Our new Berner!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 11:54:48 am »
Hello and Welcome!! :)

Congrats on your new puppy. Your Bernese Mountain Dog is simply adorable! I love the Bernese breed. They are such a sweet breed and so beautiful.And i Absolutely love the name "Turbo". :) I have 2 dogs. I have a American Akita named "Porscha" she is going to be 10 months old on the 14th of this month and i have a Black Lab mix named "Mercedes" she is 3 years old. My dogs are named after cars because i love cars so much. :)

About Training the Bernese breed:::

With this breed you need patience and consistent in training. Bernese need time to think things through. They do not respond well to harsh treatment, however Berners are very willing and eager to please their master. Bernese love to be encouraged with praise and treats. They can be Stubborn at times. Like the breed i have the American Akita they are a stubborn breed as well but they learn things fast. And thats great that you are going to get Turbo into Puppy School that will help him out a lot! Now with the Kennel its only been three days so patience is key. When you put him in the kennel and he starts to whine and cry just ignore him it will be tuff probably for the first week or so when you wont get much sleep. Welcome to puppies. lol!  But with ignoring him He will get used to being in his kennel and sooner or later he will stop crying and whining. But yes the Puppy School is going to be perfect for Turbo he will learn lots of stuff and become a very obedient Bernese puppy.

Good Luck and keep us updated on how he does when he starts Puppy School. :)
Cant wait to see more pictures of "Turbo"

And here are some great Puppy Books that will help you since you are a first time dog owner::::

These books you can buy at Petco:::
http://www.petco.com/product/8520/Puppies-for-Dummies.aspx

http://www.petco.com/product/7821/A-New-Owner-s-Guide-To-Dog-Training.aspx

Here is a Bernese Dog Calendar too at Petco::
http://www.petco.com/product/107709/Bernese-Mountain-Dogs-2009-Square-Wall-Calendar.aspx

Hope all this Helps!
And Welcome to the BP.
You will learn so much here. :)

*Amy*

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 12:29:38 pm by Akitamom08 »

Proud Owner Of
*Black Labrador Mix - Mercedes
*American Akita - Porscha

"If dogs dont have souls, then look into a Akitas eyes"
•*´`*•.AMY,PORSCHA,& MERCEDES•*´`*•

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Our new Berner!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 12:27:30 pm »
Hello and welcome.  I'm sure you will get some great advice here.
As for puppy training, I've been there, done that.  Just remember patience, patience, patience.  Nigel and Posey were already used to their crates when i got them and I don't remember when I started Keiko (over 10 yrs ago........... lol).  Gunther though had never been crate trained or been in an house either, he was born in the barn and only brought into the house I think a week before I got him.  He took about 3 days to get used to the crate (or really 3 nights as he was out during the day).  After that he was easy peasy as far as that was concerned..... ........until he outgrew it..........lo l.  ::)

Training...... .......be consistent.  Follow thru.  Positive reinforcement.  NILF.  Great that you will be getting him into training.  Not only will it help with obedience, but it will help him socialize with others and help him to focus on you with distractions.

Good luck!

My name is Chris and my crew is listed below.