Author Topic: Dog parks, and ignorent dog owners. >:( Sorry, long)  (Read 9491 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Dog parks, and ignorent dog owners. >:( Sorry, long)
« on: November 24, 2008, 06:42:34 am »
I just came back from the dog park, I've been laid off for the past 2 weeks and have been able to get out almost every day now.  Most days at the dog park are enjoyable.  Naja will play and rough house with the other dogs there big and small, I get to chat with other dog owners, it's nice. 

Today started off pretty good, we walked around 3 or 4 times, chatted with other owners, Naja found a miniture boyfriend ( a little toy poodle that had the biggest crush on my Miss Naja).  We were on our way out, both Moo and Naja were on leash and there was this what looked like a golden retriever mix that came over.  He started growling and snarling at Moo (who for those of you who don't know us is like 17 lbs).  Naja kept a close eye on it, then the dogs boy (maybe 12 or 13) came and got the dog, thats fine, it's under control, and we're on our way out anyways.  We almost make it to the gate when that d@mn dog comes over again and bares it's teeth at Naja, gets it's hackles all up, is snarling and growling and looks like it wants to tear my girls throat out.  Now I'm not worried about Naja being able to defend herself, but I am worried about a lawsuit if she hurts this dog, plus she needs to know I'm the protector, not the other way around.  So I get myself between Naja and this dog.  I shout NO!  Get out of here!!, and the dog slinks away.  Fine, it's dealt with, we're leaving anyways.  Then the stupid owners of the dog chime in "Thats why they call it a dog park eh!"  Well now I'm p!ssed, I shout back that if their dog is aggressive they should not be taking it to the dog park, it is not a place to bring your dog to get a laugh at how many fights it can get in.  Then I turn around and leave, have a quick chat with another person who's also leaving, about those people and their dog (he always leaves when he sees them coming in).  I get in my truck and go to leave.  Well the father and the son come down to the gate and the kid has a snowball in his hands, so I stop the truck and wait for him to throw it so I can get out and tear him and his parents a new one.  Soon as the kid sees me looking at him, he drops the snow ball.

Sorry bout the length, I just needed to get that off my chest.

Alex   :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:43:02 am by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Dog parks, and ignorent dog owners. >:( Sorry, long)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 06:47:16 am »
I would also like to add, that I know alot of people refuse to bring your dogs to the dog park for this reason, but I can't bring myself to rule out the dog park completely.  We live on a farm out of town, the dog park is the only  time my dogs get to interact with other dogs and people.  And again most of the time it's fine, I just wish there was some way to screen the people who come in, and turn away those people who can't control their animals/kids, or the jerks who deliberately bring an aggresive dog for the purpose of seeing it get into fights.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 06:59:57 am »
Kira is one of those dogs that cant be completely trusted around other dogs,  so I dont put myself, my dog and other people and animals in that kind of situation.

It's people like that guy that make responsible pet owners avoid alot of pet interactive places.
Sadly, the one to suffer will be that dog when he aggress the wrong dog,  and all because his owner is a jerk!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 07:13:01 am »
And I totally respect you for that.  Naja is usually really good there, if she does begin to get a little snarky or aggressive with another dog, I will immediately apologise to the other owner and remove her from the situation, which usually means we leave the park.  I don't make excuses for her, or say "that's why it's a dog park eh".  Aggresive behavior will not be tolerated by me, whether it's my own dog or someone elses.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 01:15:45 pm »
There must be some bad dog park karma going around right now.  We've taken the kids to our dog park probably a dozen times and never had a problem.  We took them last night and were shocked at how filthy the place was!  The park has installed a number of new benches so it seems that a lot of people are sitting around visiting and not supervising their dogs and cleaning up after them.   >:( >:(

We've got a few dog parks to choose from but this has always been the cleanest and the most big dog friendly.  I refuse to take the triplets to a dog park with feces all over the place - all I need if for somebody to come home with worms or some other parasite!

I'm hoping this isn't an ongoing problem.  If it is, I really have no place for the dogs to have any time off leash other than our yard. 

Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 01:44:26 pm »
So I have a question, because I am in a dog park predicament.
I've been taking Craig to the park almost everyday for a couple weeks now, three times I have had to leave because he wants to play with this particular dog. Craig makes it his mission to get the dog to chase him, but the dog starts to guard the space around his owner. He's not out of control, he will come back to me if I call him. But then we just sit there and the mean dog gets to do what he wants. Is it my responsibility to leash him if another dog gets defensive and mistakes his bow and waggy stance as threatening?
The dog happens to be a large pit bull and the owner keeps a spray bottle with her(which doesn't help). While Craig is bigger and would defend himself well, I don't want a full out brawl to ensue.

Who has the right of way?
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 03:22:44 pm »
Short answer?  The most well socialized and least aggressive dog has the right of way.  In my mind, a dog that feels the need to guard the space around its owner shouldn't be at the dog park.  Sadly, most owner's don't see them problems with their own dogs.

Is the pit's owner approachable enough that the two of you could discuss the situation and try to come up with a solution that would be fair to both of you?
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 03:35:49 pm »
I may try and speak with her if there is no one else with her, which is rare. She seems to know everyone at the park.
To be honest, she intimdates me a bit...like she could be set off easily.
Kind of like her dog!

I see her at two different parks so I could always go down to the other one...I don't always have the time. Eh, I'll figure something out.
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

KBNewf

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 04:38:41 pm »
Today was the second time we took Koda to the dog park and so far so good...Koda plays really well with other dogs/puppies and when we walked by this lady with a Boxer puppy the puppy wouldn't stop jumping on Koda. The owner called him back maybe 5 times and granted the puppy couldn't have been over 12 weeks. We called Koda back to us several times and he was trying to come back but that puppy wouldn't stop attacking him! So finally Jeff had to go rescue our puppy and push the other pup away and the owner finally slowly walks over and yells at her puppy "I've called you over like 3 times!" Ok seriously moron first off your puppy is like 10 weeks old and if you can't control him he shouldn't be off leash. Second, he's a puppy, he's your responsibility .

Ridiculous.

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 06:32:28 am »
Yeah, I think I am starting to see it in that light. I don't feel it's fair to ask someone else to leave because my dog can't take a hint from another dog.
I'm trying to find other big dog owners in the area who have more aggressively playful types so Craig doesn't have to try to coerce other dogs.

And Zoocrew, it's the Humane Society's park. I think it opened recently.

Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 03:16:02 pm »
I do go to the Carlsbad park, and I also like the people there better. Nice views too! We live and work close to the 76 and don't always have time to get down there. It's funny you mention "the pond" because someone just told me about it yesterday. She said a Golden Retriever Club came one day and didn't clean up after the dogs, so the whole parking area has been blocked off.

Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 07:53:22 am »
The only dogs I recognize are the basset hounds...I remember them from the Teamshredit days. Lucas was also having aggression issues and didn't get along with them. Haven't seen them around lately.

Just got back from Carlsbad park...lots of small dogs and puppies. I think I'll check out the pond on Sunday.  :)

Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix