Author Topic: My dane pup  (Read 6693 times)

Offline Cinester

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
My dane pup
« on: November 30, 2008, 01:09:30 pm »
A lot of you have seen my pup pics under zeus, Im going to try to keep updating that weekly.

I do have questions though, I live pretty far away from any training places, and have been having an issue with my pup growling and biting for play, is this normal behavior?

We have 4 boys 9,8,7, and 4, and then about a month ago we got my dane pup.  And he was pretty young when we got him.  He seems happy, but just plays rough, and Ive been telling the boys to play nice with him because of the size he will be.  But my pup, unless I stuff a chew toy in his mouth is constantly trying to chew on his skin brothers. 

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: My dane pup
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 02:23:23 pm »
Welcome to owning a puppy!  Our mastiff boy used our 7 year old as a chew toy too.
It took alot of consistent no-s and redirection with him but it paid off and Gunner finally figured out that Baileigh isnt an interactive squeaky chew toy.

He is 9 mos old now and hasnt mouthed anyone in a long time.
He is even gentle with our 5 mos old Chihuahua.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Cinester

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 03:00:55 pm »
He is 10 weeks old today, he was just a few days over 6 weeks when we got him.  I figured it was normal puppy behavior.  Just needed reassurance or advice I guess.  Thanks for that. :)
I grew up with 2 female dobes, but we had them from the time I was 2, so I cant remember what dad did to turn them into gentle  100lb lap dogs.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 03:03:17 pm »
oh they all growl with play and bite.  that is something you can discourage, but it will pass.  with the size he will be, you might want to start discouraging biting soon.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 05:10:54 pm »
It's very commen with giant breed dogs to be mouthy, and many other breeds as well.
You do want to nip it in the bud as quickly as possible though.
Redirection works.  We taught both Keiko and Gunther "no bite".  Don't remember what the heck I did with keiko (sooooo long ago........lol) but with Gunther I would say "no bite" and stick something else in his mouth.  It really didn't take too long for him to get the picture.

He will still occasionally mouth while playing, but he doesn't use his teeth, just his lips.  If he starts getting carried away, the game is over.  That's another technique you can use.  If getting too rough and using teeth, you can yip as another pup would do, and walk away or leave the room.  He will soon learn that biting causes the play to end.

hope this helps.  :)

Offline Cinester

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 09:09:17 pm »
Thanks everyone, I will try these things and let you all know how its going, I love this place.

Tonda

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 04:28:48 am »
Bite Inhibition is really easy to teach with a puppy.

Here's a pretty good technique:
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/725

What we do (and it only took the pups a few days to catch on) is as follows:

EVERY TIME the puppy puts it mouth on a person, SQUEAL like you've been jabbed with a sharp stick.

When the pup mouths you (just soft mouth, no actual pressure) you say GENTLE and continue to play with him.

Soon, if he still bites or nips on occasion, you can just say GENTLE and he'll revert to soft mouthing.

From the soft mouth stage you can then move on to having him not touch you AT ALL with his mouth if you like, by using the LEAVE IT command, which he should already be being taught.

One thing that is VERY IMPORTANT to teach your boys, is that if they roughhouse with him now, they’ll have problems down the road when he’s big and it’s no longer fun. Teach him to be gentle now, and they can wrestle with him later (for life).