Author Topic: need some URGENT housebreaking advice!!!  (Read 4385 times)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
need some URGENT housebreaking advice!!!
« on: December 01, 2008, 01:24:23 pm »
Before the SO murders Fargo!!

Here's the problem.  All of the dogs are completely housebroken when we're home.  The Newfs still need to go outside once at night of course but that's not a big deal.  When we're at work though - that's a different story!  Fargo can't go 3 hours without pooping in the house when we're gone - and it's wearing on everyone's nerves.

Fargo eats breakfast at 5 am and then goes out to potty.  He has a rather slow system so I take him out again at 5:45.  I do watch to make sure that he pees and poops. We leave for work at 6:15.  The dog sitter comes over at 9:30 to let everyone outside and almost always has to clean up a Fargo pile (we know it's him because Sadie is crated and Ursa would die before she'd potty in the house).

The dog sitter comes back at 1:30 pm and lets everyone out again.  Usually no pile in the early afternoon.  We get home at 5 pm and ALWAYS have to clean up a mess.  Bear in mind, at 1:30 pm it's been over 7 hours since his last meal AND he's been out 4 times  >:(

Fargo is not crated during the day but he is babygated so at least the mess is confined to the dogs' room.  Little consolation though when we're going through two cans of carpet cleaner a week.  Again, this isn't a problem when we're home so we're at a loss as to how to help him. 

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.  Seriously, I'm afraid that my SO is going to throttle this dog the next time he comes home from a hard day at work and finds Poop Mountain staring him in the face!

Almost forgot - we have had him checked by the vet just last week and he got a clean bill of health.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:30:12 pm by Ursa »
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Tonda

Re: need some URGENT housebreaking advice!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 02:31:20 pm »
Crate him. He CAN hold it, he's just not doing so.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 10:24:25 am »
Crate him. He CAN hold it, he's just not doing so.

Ditto. I would definitely crate him, he won't poop in his crate and will get used to holding it.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 01:25:41 pm »
Today was the first day back in the crate for Fargo.  We changed the carpet in the dog room last night to get rid of any lingering "bathroom odors" and washed all of the crate bedding so he could start fresh.  Tossed him in this morning with a kong and instructions for the dog sitter that he was to be in the crate or outside - no running loose in their room.

Ursa was happy because she gets more room to roam if the other two are crated.  She gets the dog room and the back sitting area.

So far so good.
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us