Author Topic: Crate Day 2 - not good  (Read 6788 times)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Crate Day 2 - not good
« on: December 03, 2008, 01:33:07 pm »
Fargo made it through the first day of crating with no accidents but day 2 has been a different story.  Came home again to pee and poop  >:(.  His housebreaking issues are really causing some friction here at Casa del Puppy.  We're going to keep up the crating and hope that he'll decide soiling his den isn't a good idea.  If it doesn't work I guess the next step is buying a cork!
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Re: Crate Day 2 - not good
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 02:59:27 pm »
He's 5 months old.  He's crated on workdays. from 6:30 am to 5 pm.  The dog sitter comes at 9:30 am and 1:30 pm and let's the dogs out for 30 minutes each time.  Basically he's never in the crate for more than 3 1/2 hours.  We don't crate when we're home. 

We just started crating him again (he was babygated in the dog room) due to his pooping in the house.  He isn't given food or water in the crate but is given water when the dog sitter comes over. 

Honestly, we've had only one poop free workday since he arrived.  Both of the female dogs are completely housebroken so we're not sure what we're doing wrong with him. 

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 04:00:35 pm »
Generally I'd say, he's 5 months old, give him some more time, but if you have a pet sitter coming to let him out twice a day, I'm puzzled. I'd be wondering if she is really doing her job and exactly how long she is giving him to try to go potty.

Just my suspicious mind at work...
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 04:06:55 pm »
Generally I'd say, he's 5 months old, give him some more time, but if you have a pet sitter coming to let him out twice a day, I'm puzzled. I'd be wondering if she is really doing her job and exactly how long she is giving him to try to go potty.

Just my suspicious mind at work...
I have to agree.  with a sitter coming over to let him out, he should be able to hold it till you get home.  Maybe the break in the day is upsetting and confusing to him.  At 5 months, he should be able to go a full day in the crate. 
I say he's acting out for some reason.  Maybe you should get a baby cam and see what is going on during the sitter visits.
but at 5 months, he is still young and learning.   he will mature in time.
Does your crate have one of those dividers?  When Grace was little, we used the divider.  She would potty in the crate, but only without the divider.  given the extra room, they will take it and still have a dry spot to sleep.  As they get bigger and need the room and you remove the divider, they stop making messes in their crates because there's really no room.  If Lady had a tummy issue and needed to go she would actually push her behind against the crate and shoot it out onto the tile floor so it wouldn't be in the crate with her.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 04:20:17 pm »
Hhhmmm....I hate to think that the pet sitter might be part of the problem but it sounds like something I'm going to have to consider.  I hope it's not that because we're good friends with the sitter's family and any problem could create an awkward situation.

We have considered that he's acting out but we're not sure to what.  One of the big reasons that we went back to crating was to be certain that the other dogs weren't harrassing him.  They all get along beautifully when we're home but when the alpha bitch is away there's no telling what's happening.

Lin - our crate doesn't have a divider but we do have a slightly smaller crate that we could try for him.  I'll do a test run tonight to make sure that it's a good fit for him.  It's normally the one that Sadie uses but I'm willing to swap out if need be.  If he doesn't fit, I might have to invest in a divided crate.  It will be worth the cost if peace is restored to my house. 

I hate to keep changing things up on him because I don't want to make things worse but this situation can't continue. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 04:39:53 pm »
so he's in his crate when you're not home, but the other dogs aren't?  That could be a big issue.  Maybe he's jealous.
When I had both Lady and Grace, they were both in the crate.  I could always trust Lady, but Grace would get into everything.  We always put them in their beds when we were at work since the one in the crate would have gotten so mad if the other was allowed to be free in the house.  I can hear Grace whinning all day "THAT'S JSUT SO NOT FAIR!" while Lady was lounging on the couch saying "NEENER".

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 12:22:24 am »
Oops - I wasn't clear on that.  Fargo and Sadie are both crated in the same room.  Ursa is babygated separately. 

Not a good night last night either.  Pooped on his bed.  *sigh*

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 02:55:04 pm »
You know - I think we have a webcam around here somewhere.  I'll have to see if a) we do and b) it can be hooked up downstairs.  If I can set that up at least I'll know for sure what's happening. 

It seems that the "danger zone" for Fargo is somewhere around 8 hours after he eats.  That seems to be when he really really really has to go and just can't hold it for very long.  He poops before that but 8 hours after a meal seems to be the timeline for his accidents.  (yes - i actually charted that!!  :-[)  Now to figure out how to use that knowledge to help him.