Author Topic: Come command  (Read 4515 times)

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Come command
« on: December 21, 2008, 11:06:35 am »
I need all the advice I can get on this one!

So far I do practices, back and forth with my hubby, randomly in the house, where he gets praise then treat. It's not really cutting it.

He's great at it if a treat is the best reward around at the time, but if there is a better reward, say like another dog, a squirrel or an idiot at the dog park giving him a treat, it's over.

At that point I'll slowly walk over and leash him for a bit, or leave if he really annoyed me, but by that time, I'm not sure if he can put "not coming when called" together with "no more off-leash". The time discrepancy between this action/reaction seems a bit big for a dog.

I want to achieve better than this, any suggestions?
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Come command
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 12:42:06 pm »
Are you working with him in areas of distraction as well?  Or just in the house?

To help him get over his short attention span with distractions, you'll need to work him in areas with many distractions. 

I would suggest investing in a long line. Def. at least 20 ft long, preferably even longer.  That way, if he does get distracted, you can reel him in and he will be "forced" to come.

I plan on doing this come warmer weather.  All my guys could use some refresher training, they've been getting a bit lazy with listening.

Good luck to you, it can take some time to get it down.  And some dogs will never learn to listen to you completely.  But you can usually get them to listen a good percentage of the time.  ;)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 01:20:57 pm »
I second the long line.  It keeps them under your control.  You can also try taking your puppy at places like Petsmart where you have lots of distractions but the environment is still more controlled than a dog park for example.

We just took our two Newfies in for their training class placement eval this afternoon - they're both going to start intermediate next week! 

KBNewf  - just my two cents on training class.  We started Ursa when she was just under 4 months old and she'll be graduating intermediate in about 3 weeks.  She'll start advanced right after that and will, I hope, have her CGC by Spring.  The Newfs will be following right behind her.  A good class is worth so much when you're dealing with a giant breed dog!  All of my dogs love training!

If you're signing your puppy up for his first class try to interview as many potential trainers as you can.  We found that not all trainers like to work with the giant breed dogs.  Our current trainer was the 4th one we interviewed.  Also try to make sure that their training methods and philosophy are a good fit for you.  For example, I don't teach tricks.  Ursa hates them, I don't care if she doesn't do them - end of story.  My trainer is totally supportive of my decision and didn't try to push the issue at all. 
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 07:27:08 pm »
Thanks everyone, I believe the long leash is what is in order.

As for the training lessons, I have been to the beginner ones. They were fun-it's one thing to read about training principles, but another to have to perform them in front of a group and see others struggle through them at your side as well. I love a group effort.

But as mentioned, Diesel performs well in a controlled environment, and just needs to tackle the old mommy vs other dog/squirrel/idiot-with-treat dilemma  :)

Thanks again, this week will be my first long leash at the park attempt.
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.