Author Topic: pop quiz  (Read 17750 times)

Offline mgcsold

• Ankle Biter
  • Zachary Thomas 1 year old.
    • View Profile
pop quiz
« on: April 05, 2005, 08:42:22 pm »
pop quiz.....

Do any of you know what the original status of the Akita was in Japan?

Do you know how they came to the USA?

How about what they were good for in Japan?

I know the answers I just wanted to see if anyone else did....lol
my dog is my best friend, he listens when no one else will and licks away my tears....you can not lie to your dogs they can see right into your soul, and they will love you no matter what they see there.

Offline bigpawsadmin

• Michael~
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • This is Bear
    • View Profile
    • Website - www.michaelandjaime.com
Re: pop quiz
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 08:54:40 pm »
Grrrr... I hate pop quizes!!

They were guard dogs right? From my understanding, some people used them as fighting dogs because they could be so hostile.
Just trying to keep the bugs off the board!

Offline Gulliver

• Gnawer
  • My late and wonderful 140 lb. pal, Gulliver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 09:25:14 pm »
Centuries ago, the Akita was owned only by the Shogun, the imperial leaders of the century. The dogs were used to track large game and hold it at bay until the hunters arrived to make the kill.

Akitas were introduced to the U.S. by serviceman returning from Japan after World War II.

As to what they're good for in Japan?  I dunno, but I do love this story:

Hachi-Ko was one of the most revered Japanese Akitas of all time.  Hachi-Ko was owned by Professor Eizaburo Ueno of Tokyo.  Everyday the Professor would commute to work on the the train from Shibuya Station. Hachi-Ko would accompany his master to the station each morning and meet him and accompany him home each night.
        On May 25, 1925, when the dog was 18 months old, he waited for his master's arrival on the four o'clock train.  But he waited in vain; Professor Ueno had suffered a fatal stroke at work.  Hachi-Ko continued to wait for his master's return.  He traveled to and from the station each day for the next nine years.  He allowed the professor's relatives to care for him, but he never gave up his vigil at the station for his master.  His vigil became world renowned, and shortly after his death, a bronze statue was erected at the train station in his honor.

Now that was a devoted companion.

From Vinalhaven Island, Maine

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 09:33:20 pm »
pop quiz.....

They were hunters of boar, elk and the small Yezo bear.Also one of samurai's favorite pastimes was dog fights.Could of been a gift from the chinese as well
As for coming to the USA, I believe the American soldiers brought them home after WWII, regardless if they where a national monument or not.

There... how'd I do?
Renee

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 10:01:35 pm »
Wow Gullivar. Now are you a trivia buff? I can't believe that story of true love and devotion! Dogs are really amazing animals.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline KojiInu

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 09:13:28 am »
Hello friends,

The first Akita was introduced into the U.S. by Helen Keller. Just thought you should know. 

KojiInu

Offline mgcsold

• Ankle Biter
  • Zachary Thomas 1 year old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 09:50:03 am »
Very good....helen keller was the first to bring them home to the united states...it was a gift from the emporer...year s later when her dog died...they sent another one over seas to her....

The story of the devotion is a very true story....one of my favorites too.

As far as the hostile temperment...u ntrue....they were known as protectors of children in Japan....famil ies would leave their kids in the care of the family akita...knowin g they would be safe....

Christi
my dog is my best friend, he listens when no one else will and licks away my tears....you can not lie to your dogs they can see right into your soul, and they will love you no matter what they see there.

JCDrennan

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 03:09:42 pm »
The Akita is a National Treasure in Japan.
Helen Keller brought the first Akita to the US.
Akitas were used as hunting and retrieving dogs as well as police dogs in Japan.  They were used in pairs to drive off the Yezo bear when they came down from the mountains.  Yezo were very nasty, mean, large bears, sort of the equivalent of our Grizzly bears.  Akitas would also guard homes and children.

Jill
pop quiz.....

Offline oneway

• Gnawer
  • My Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 12:53:54 pm »
As I was informed, Hellen Kellers first Akita died after only a month, after which she was sent another.

Offline rpeeples

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Peeples' Homepage
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 09:23:44 pm »

---> It depends on whose history you read.  History varies from hunting dogs to guardians to dog fighting dogs to imperial guards.  I imagine they are a lot like most primitive breeds and used for a bit of everything.  They have since been declared a National Treasure and much controversy exists over the correct "type" of Akita.  There is even some suggestion that the current Akita in the USA is a blend of the historical Akita and a  now-extinct larger Japanese dog. 

-->the first one was via Helen Keller.  WWII soldiers brought a lot back as well. 

-->  Not sure what is meant by that question.  Spiritually they represent good health & good fortune.  Practically they have been used for pelts & food during WWII, for hunting & protecting the village from bears, for dog fighting sports, & for guarding the property.  And of course the famous statue of Hachiko stands as a timeless remider of the power of love & loyalty

Rachel Peeples, DVM
Heart of Dixie Akita Rescue
hodakitas.org

Offline zimas_mommie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 12:23:02 am »
pop quiz.....

Ummmm lets see I did read anyone elses I went straight to reply then I want to see if I got them right!!! ;D

They were hunting dogs?? bear and boar.... they keept them at bay till the hunters arrived? Usually in male and female pair!! They were considerd royalty? Even the feedings were made a big deal about!! They were broght to the united states by hellen keller.... as a seeing eye dog!   How did I do??
Nicole

Offline thorthugglesworth@

• Gnawer
  • Thor Thugglesworth
    • View Profile
    • Hustleware Clothing coming soon!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 03:38:19 am »
Akitas were originally used in mating pairs to hunt small bears in the mountainous region of Northern Japan (Akita Prefecture.) Later, they were used extensively in dogfighting. Legend has it, they were also used to babysit small children.

As for status, there was a time when only nobles could own one.

The first Akita in the USA was presented to Helen Keller when her own guide dog died while she was visiting Japan.
Vagabond, baby. I kicks that raw, boy. Rappers get stole on like the Pistons' ball boy...... Barack in '08!