Author Topic: You Don't Have To Be Big To Be A Bully!!  (Read 21763 times)

BabsT

Re: You Don't Have To Be Big To Be A Bully!!
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2005, 09:02:21 pm »
Every morning we get terrorized by a beagle, cocker and a golden....Driv es me nuts...The beagle is killing itself (choking strangling itself) to get at zero and zero just walks by with no worry.  Their used to be a min pin too but they moved L

The golden today was off his lead and came charging after us...I was like Oh god!!!  The second he got off his property, he 100% submitted to Zero as if he was saying oopss my bad LOL...because zero at 9 months just towered over him

I am lucky that dog submitted and the man apoligized up and down...which i was fine with...I just get annoyed acting like it is my fault I am walking my dog

Offline Janisjin

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Photos of Toku & Logan
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2005, 11:17:35 pm »
"I just get annoyed acting like it is my fault I am walking my dog"

Amen to that! I find myself feeling like I have to apologize to the people, who don't know squat about dog behavior, who are standing around looking disapprovingly at my "bully" breed after smooshing a daschund or a mean jack russel. It's so stupid. I quit apologizing, I just stare back like I'm waiting for an apology from the daschund's owner (even though I know he'll never apologize).

On a side note, dog social behavior is certainly interesting at off leash dog parks, but sometimes I think the human social behaviors are even more interesting!  :D

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
-- Unknown

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 06:58:28 am »
Nina - you did not offend..  I am the 1st to admit my little ones are bad...and it is my fault...  It is just so much easier to not train a little dog...  I am always apologizing for my little ones behavior in public...and as I am training Willow the little ones will also be learning.  Will it change their tude- probably not...but maybe it will help a bit.
I dog sit for 2 mini chis sometimes..use d to do it full time...When the chis owner first brought them to meet us she told my children they had to pet the male chi from behind or he'd bite...WHAT???...That lasted about one day at my house...The same corrections that work on a big dog work on a little dog too...lol...Af ter her noticing how much better behaved the dogs were after being at my house for a couple of week she hired a trainer to come in & work with her dogs...It worked wonders though they still have their tudes...lol... they do know basic obidience now. :)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 08:13:33 am »
Tim and I were at the off leash park and DIlbert and Harley were being there social little selves, they are soo much better now. The only time they bark a other dogs is when they are in the house on in the yard. ( working on that but having a hard time, any suggestions would be great  ;D ) Anyway, there was some small dogs there that were awesome, playing with the big dogs having fun, some would bark but then the dogs would just walk away. Well when we were leaving this little dog jumps out of the car and started barking and snarling at Dilbert, Dilbert just ingnored it and keeps walking to the car, and this little dog goes after him. Then the owner, just for the sake of saying it, is like " OH Bear stop that"

GRRR

Side note why do people with little dogs name them bear? kinda funny huh? Sorry that could sound snobbish, don't mean it to, I just think it's funny  ;D
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

GR8DAME

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 08:35:25 am »
You should be proud of your dog Janis.. sounds like he has a lot of patience and a really good temperment for an Akita.   The fact that the daschund  is still alive says that :) I don't think I'd handle anyone kicking my dog too well. 

I saw in another thread related to this, that they take a squirt bottle to the dog park with them to squirt the small dogs that have issues. I just can't imagine that doing too much unless there is a little ammonia in there or something though.

Brandon,
instead of ammonia, try a 1/8 cup of vinegar in the water in your spray bottle. It won't do any damage but they hate it.

This week end I was walking Merlin and hubby had Strider and Merlin got attacked by an unleashed small dog. It tried to hamstring Merlin, and I statched it up by the scruff of the neck, and gave it a shake. I made Merlin sit, and about that time a lady came flying out of the house screaming at me. I looked at her, at her mop-dog and at Merlin who was (as usual),sitting there looking up at me and the snarling snapping handful of dog; drooling, and gave her an evil smile, dangled her dog above Merlin's nose and told her. "The next time your dog attacks my dog, I drop him, and let my dog loose to defend himself. It won't be pretty, but it shouldn't take long." I handed her her dog and walked away. Poor Dale was rolling on the sidewalk, because Merlin wouldn't have hurt that dog no matter what it did, but she doesn't need to know that.

I have no problem with small dogs. I have a problem with dog owners of any size that are not responsible enough to train and learn how to handle their dogs.
Bridgid67, that wasn't directed toward you, as you seem to make the effort to control them as you know they have a problem, and I do consider that to be responsible dog ownership.

Sorry, Pet peeve, canya tell???
Stella

Offline Mokeymunster

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 11:48:04 am »
How true.  I own a boston terrier, and believe me if you will, he is fairly well behaved at the dog park.  He has a low tolerence with other dogs bullying him.  Some others at the park find it humerous, me not so much,  he will play with everyone and be the best of buds, but, when the other dog flips him over trying to smell his underside, Lazlo the bt, gets mad.  He never causes any harm, he just chases the other dog away.  I try to deter this behaviour by calling him over and telling him no, and that his behavior is unacceptable.  It doesn't help when the other owner, is laughing histarically, and calling him over to meet my little firecracker.  I love lazlo, but little dogs are so different to teach manners too.  I've told my husband that we should stick to big dogs, they are easier.

Okay now you have me venting.  If you were in the park and a retriever jumped up, would you encourage the dog to continue doing it??  NO, why then must you encourage my little dog to jump up even though i have gained many wrinkles and probably shortened my own life span trying to teach him NOT to jump on strangers.   >:( 

Alright, sorry i went off on a rant there, I just couldn't help it.  Boy did that feel good.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 12:02:25 pm »

If you were in the park and a retriever jumped up, would you encourage the dog to continue doing it??  NO, why then must you encourage my little dog to jump up even though i have gained many wrinkles and probably shortened my own life span trying to teach him NOT to jump on strangers.   >:( 

Alright, sorry i went off on a rant there, I just couldn't help it.  Boy did that feel good.

I sooooooo agree with you, you took the time to stop this and it should be encourraged, especially if there is childres around, the small dog may not be small to them.  which now brings my question, Harley does not jump on us, we finally got her trained to now do this, but at the dog park she will do it to strangers, ugh and I don't know how to stop this???

Any ideas??
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Kristen

• Ankle Biter
  • Tyrone and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 01:00:25 pm »
I agree with everyone here. I try to teach Jacques manners. He just gets really excited when he meets other dogs, and he does a bird peck to get them to play (we've been working on that one, and still are).
Anyways, up our street is a person with 2 toy poodles. Those things are so nasty! Their owner came over once to talk to my mom, and she had bandages from her wrist up to nearly her shoulder. It turns out that her "loving" poodles dislike being brushed.  >:( Man, if one of MY dogs did that, they'd be getting held down on the ground, and then having a lot of training.
On the street behind ours, there's a person who breeds toy poodles (I think that that's where our neighbor got hers). They have 7 of them, and they're allowe to run loose. When I was walking Sher, all 7 of them ran up to us snarling and growling. When one of them went for Sher, we turned around and went home. The dogs actually followed us, and tried to bite me through my boots!! Those dogs were soooo lucky that I didn't have my rifle on me, or they'd be long gone (I don't tolerate dogs trying to bite me).
Kristen & The Dog Gang
Sled dogs rule!

Sherwen- Alaskan husky
Tyrone- Alaskan husky
Kaltag "Kallie"- Canadian Inuit dog/Malamute
Jacques- Bichon frise

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 01:04:00 pm »
To be honest, little dogs scare me ( well pugs don't), especially poodles.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2005, 01:10:09 pm »
Oh, my goodness Kristen.    I don't put up with that either, and if there were 7 of them running after me, you can bet that some of them would have gotten punted into the next county.

Offline Kristen

• Ankle Biter
  • Tyrone and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 01:10:33 pm »
To be honest, little dogs scare me ( well pugs don't), especially poodles.

I don't blame you.
Kristen & The Dog Gang
Sled dogs rule!

Sherwen- Alaskan husky
Tyrone- Alaskan husky
Kaltag "Kallie"- Canadian Inuit dog/Malamute
Jacques- Bichon frise

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 03:00:12 pm »
lol my little ones hate to be brushed also...that is why they go to the groomers....  And I always apologize beforehand for one the fact that I have not been brushing them between visits and 2 for their actions during the grooming... My little dogs are not allowed to run free..and they are really big chickens.  They talk a good game.  I took them to a dog park once and they were trying to climb my legs to get me to pick them up.  they do pretty good around my moms group of big dogs...they are actually quite respectful...

BabsT

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2005, 06:36:25 pm »
Today the beagle was off leash for the first time on our walk...That thing came FLYING at us...I put Zero in a sit which he did perfectly and the second that dog got off its property, she froze in her tracks as if sayin 'uh oh....

The owner came flying out but this little beagle had its fur up and everything.  The second Zero took a step (to play) the thing peed it self and ran off

The same thing happened yesterday with the golden I mentioned earlier in this post.  Same thing aggressive barking,posture etc...the second it got off property and noticed that Zero made him look like a dwarf, he 100% submitted and they were fin

Two dogs in two days LOL

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2006, 11:30:39 pm »
i don't know about all of you, but my next dog is going to be a Chihuahua (cream, longhaired) and after that a pitty. i just feel like i need to prove these people wrong that not all little dogs are mean. but for now, most of them bug the crap out of me!

we have 2 toy poodles down the road that raise cane all day and all night, yet WE are the ones that get sued for barking dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my dogs are aLways either inside or supervised outside!!!! they NEVER BARK!!!!!!!

jeez, as soon as this nation gets over racial, and gender, segregation, i think we need to work on *doggie* segregation. if the dogs don't care what size they are, why should we?

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007