Author Topic: allergies, dry skin or haircut?  (Read 5867 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
allergies, dry skin or haircut?
« on: December 05, 2008, 07:21:34 am »
Happy holidays all!!  I wanted to post this question to see if anyone had any ideas as to the recent onset of itchy skin in Bo.  She started itching a lot a few weeks ago and I don't know if it's because we changed her food, the really dry weather (my face is peeling off) or the fact that we had her hair clipped to 1/4" about two months ago (it's now about an inch long) due to BAD dreadlocks and BIG STINK.  We changed her food from Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken to Evangers Pheasant & brown rice.  She's not having any bowel or tummy problems that we can see (which is what usually happens when she's allergic to something), so I am at a loss as to whether or not this is an allergy to food, fleas (which we haven't seen) or bad weather!! =)   
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: allergies, dry skin or haircut?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 09:24:11 am »
Funny, I was just logging on to post the same question.

MY newf puppy is scratching like crazy... no fleas anywhere though, even checked the base of the tail for flea excrement, as suggested, and nothing there.

I read that there is a myriad of reasons why a dog could be itching, but what is the best way to figure out which one it is? Anyone here been through this?
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 10:01:56 am »
Yeah, this is her first winter with less hair!!  I know I'M itchy and dry, so I imagine that she is, too.  We haven't had much rain here in Nor Cal to speak of.  My husband is blaming it on the new food, but I think it's just a coincidence.  The food is really good...plus it's available where we live which is a plus!  I was driving an hour from home to buy Instinct and couldn't see the sense in doing that when I'm trying to save money!! =)
I'll try the olive oil...got lots of that around!

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 10:31:27 am »
Good point...she does have a delicate tummy.  Her brothers, on the other hand, will eat a tin can if they could!! =)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 06:48:27 am »
I think I may have found a culprit this weekend... A FLEA!!!  I noticed, too, that she has these little bumps on her like mosquito bites.  I had lapsed on her monthly flea dose and I think she may have picked them up from my mom's husband's dogs (who aren't very well cared for) at Thanksgiving.  I dosed her with some Advantage and I bought some herbal skin soother spray to try to help her feel better.  She's still itchy, but not nearly as bad.  I guess it might be a flea alergy?  Anyway, I agree that the weather is still a factor, but I think it was probably the flea thing.  D'oh!!

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 05:59:04 pm »

Hey guys....do you know why olive oil may help some dogs and fish oils may help others with dry skin? 

I thought sharing this may help some....

Fish Oils are rich in omega 3s - it is now understood that dogs require omega 3s and the NRC states that a proper ratio to omega 6s is required (resulting in healthy skin, coat and reduced inflammation).  So if omega 6s get too high, or simply omega 3s too low....the addition of fish oils will help.  If they don't help, then this isn't the issue, and perhaps omega 3s are already too high relative to omega 6s for example.

Olive oil on the other hand is predominately omega 6 (and some omega 9). Since it contains very little omega 3, it is a poor source for this.  If omega 6 is needed, this will help - but if omega 6 is already too high, and/or omega 3 deficient, you will not see any benefit likely from the addition of this ingredient.  Olive oil is also 100% fat so a good source of this if this is needed in the diet.

I just wanted to clarify that they are doing different things and therefore not interchangeabl e.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 06:07:28 pm »
I just read an article, i will have to find it that states if you give too much omega 6's you put all of the omega's out of preportion and because of that you will notice behavioral changes.  I called the vet and they actually agreed with this for some odd reason.  SO i guess becareful on the omega's

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 08:33:23 pm »
Oh no, sorry about the fleas! Vile things.

Diesel was a bit luckier, as it turns out it was in fact dry skin. We gave him olive oil once a day and we saw a difference as early as day 2. Thank goodness! Now his scratching and obscene bathing is back to a normal ;D
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.