Author Topic: When to switch from Puppy food to adult food?  (Read 8461 times)

Offline swebb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
When to switch from Puppy food to adult food?
« on: December 06, 2008, 02:00:50 pm »
Murphy is 5 months old and doing very well on Eagle Pack Giant Puppy.  I was wondering when a good time is to switch him to the Adult Eagle Pack Holistic for Giant breeds? I have been told by some to make the switch around 6 months old, and some say that we should have switched to an adult food around 3-4 months old.  Need some help here.

He is currently 65 lbs and still able to feel the ribs.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Re: When to switch from Puppy food to adult food?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 02:14:49 pm »
Our vet told us to switch our dogs at 4 months so that we could keep them growing slowly.

Sounds like your Murphy is a big boy!  Fargo will be 5 months old next week and he just hit 50 lbs.
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 03:46:27 pm »
I still feed both my Saints, ages 2.5 and 1.5, puppy food. I looked at the NI on the bag, and they are basically the same.
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline mal222

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 06:00:47 pm »
i switched my mastiff just a lil before he turned 4 months and my pitt/mastiff switched with him but he was just a lil over 3 months old. they did great with the switch. i mixed a lil of their puppy food in with the adult and gradually over 3 days went rite to adult. my mastiff Pike is already over 60lbs and just turned 5 months old and my pit/mastiff Mooney is about 35-40lbs at almost 5 months. ur pup is adorable by the way!
Pike: bullmastiff
Mooney: pit/mastiff

Offline swebb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 02:23:34 am »
Guy's need some help here....

We started switching Murphy over to Eagle Pack Puppy, about 4 weeks ago, we did it very slowly and for the last week he has been on 100% EP.  He seemed to be very gassy while on it, but has been steadily gaining weight.  Well, now seemingly out of nowhere, he has runny stooles.  This has only been going on for a couple days, but he hasn't had this problem before.  Is this something that should pass after a few days or so?  He is still eating like a maching.

Offline swebb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:49:43 am »
Given that he didn't react from the beginning and that he was on 100% EP for a few days before the runny-ness began, it probably isn't a food intolerance and it will probably pass.  Puppies get into all kinds of things behind our backs, so he might have ingested something he shouldn't have or maybe he got a treat that didn't agree with him.  If it's just runny and not liquid, I would just add a couple of tablespoons of canned pumpkin (plain, pure pumpkin, not pie filling) to his meal for a few days.  If that doesn't firm him up, he might need a trip to the vet.  If his poops get liquidy, a trip to the vet is order right away.

Thanks for the reply Holly.  I suppose the best way I could describe it is.....Wet cement.  We have an appointment tomorrow anyway, but I will try the pumpkin.  He is eating nearly 7 cups a day now.  This afternoon, I could tell he was not feeling all that great, but he did eat and was eager as ever to get to it. 

Offline swebb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 03:16:28 am »
Went to the Vet and he's gonna be fine.  No fever, stool samples checked ok, but they gave us some meds and he should be fine in a day or so.