Author Topic: ACK!  (Read 3987 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
ACK!
« on: December 07, 2008, 07:16:21 am »
Okay, my step sister is coming over, that's great, she's awesome!  She's bringing her new dog, a English Bull Dog named Mega.  Mega's really cute so of course I'm going to take lots of pictures.  Now for the problem.  Mega is a little aggresive, Naja is very dominate, and a little aggresive herself.  They have not yet met, there is no way to take them to neutral ground because my mother is having a holiday party today and I can't get away.  What do I do????  I will take Naja outside to meet him, they will both be on leash for at least the first 10-15 minutes, and there will be lots of treats on hand.  Does anyone else have any other suggestions??   ??? ??? ???
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: ACK!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 07:22:10 am »
My biggest suggestion is don't anticipate a problem. Naja and will certainly pick up on your vibes and that could fuel a conflict. I would walk out there calmly with Naja on a leash and don't even talk to her or Mega. Warmly greet your sister, let Naja greet your sister, then have your sister get Mega out of the car.

So, Naja has greeted your sister and is comfortable with her and this friendly person who Naja trusts is now introducing another dog. It's important that both of you assume there will be no problems, let them sniff each other, etc. and keep an eye out for warning signs, but stay relaxed and in control.

You're probably worrying for nothing and Naja and Mega will quickly become best buds!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 04:15:35 am »
Scootergirl got it. Just keep calm and friendly and not make a big deal of it. Enjoy it! And only treat when they behave nicely, as expected. Look forward to seeing pics of the new friends!
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 04:36:05 am »
Here's how it went.

Ashley got here, I brought Naja out to the car to greet Ashley, who was wearing a hat and sunglasses, and all that stuff that Naja doesn't like, so of course she's barking her fool face off at Ashley.  Ash takes off the hat and glasses, Naja calms down a bit, until she notices Mega in the car, and Mega is barking and crying to get out. 
We wait until the dogs calm down a bit the Ashley lets Mega out of the car.  Ashley and I are all high pitched friendly "Nice Hellos!" and "Good Puppies!!" Mega is very excitable, but submissive which is good.  Naja is, well... herself.  Dominate, assertive, and a little b*tchy.  Whatever, Mega comes in, pee's on my mothers new couch!!!  HA! Naja is out on the porch at this time 'cause she likes to bark at the farm hands. 
Ashley and I take all 3 dogs out for a walk to see how they'll interact.  They get along GREAT, they're like best buddies! 
They run, they play (All the while, I've left my camera in the house, d'oh!), they chase each other through the feilds, into the forest until I feel like my legs are going to fall off, so we go back.  They're all great together until we get onto the back porch. 
Now Naja is going into territorial, dominate mode again.  ugh. 
Poor Mega just wants to be friends, and can't understand why she doesn't want to play anymore.  Whatever, Mega, Moo, Ashley and I go inside and leave Miss Misery out to bark at farm hands some more (honestly, she really likes to do that). 
When she does finally want to come inside, she was fine for about 20 minutes, then she got territorial again, so she went downstairs to watch football with my step father Jim.  I've got to get a trainer in here to help me with these issues.  I've resigned to the fact that she'll never be a therapy dog, but I don't want to have her labeled as totally unsociable.  :-\
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:37:05 am by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!