Author Topic: I SWEAR! we're still alive!  (Read 5796 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
I SWEAR! we're still alive!
« on: December 17, 2008, 07:10:04 am »
I feel like i've been doing this every 6 months!  I don't know where the time goes, or why the sequence of events keep happening, but i just keep reminding myself that everything happens for a reason! 

But i do feel bad for neglecting my BPO! 

Fumble, stacy and i are all still alive!  We did have a close call in Sept there with my mother though.  At the end of august/early Sept my mom was admitted to the hospital.  I left the big guy with Stacy and her boyfriend, John (who moved in with us) and drove to Albany, NY where my parents live now.  I got there around 11 am, and by 2 pm she coded (no pulse, no BP), and then by 7 pm she was in emergency surgery until 1 am and we found her 1/3 of her small intestine was necrotic, and pretty much ready to go septic.  so thanks be to god she was okay.  The last three months have been chaotic since though.  She's been in and out of the hospital for weeks at a time, and things finally seem to be at status quo.  She's not getting better, but she's not getting worse.  KNOCK ON WOOD! 

Fumble's been okay too.  Over the summer, i battled with the home cooked food.  First we tried Millet and Pork, then Fish and Potatoes... and neither for some reason seemed to sit well with his belly…
So now he’s on the Purina soy stuff that you get from the vet.  Plus the home cooked food was getting a little too expensive each week… probably because he weighs almost 180 lbs!  and with his vet bills every 2 weeks.  I feel like I live at the vet… or have the last 6 months.  I think after looking at my receipts I had been there at least once every 2 weeks for a straight 6 months.  Needless to say I had to recently take a loan out to pay for his vet bills..  but god love him!  He’s my big guy, and I’d do anything for him!  So I guess now the next thing is getting an appt with an allergist to find out what type of allergy he has.  I know finding out foods is tough.  But he keeps getting these “Rods” in his ears, which from my understanding is much worse than yeast.  And then staph infections on his belly and groin area.  He doesn’t even get dry spots anymore to heed as a warning.  Just all of a sudden it’s full blown staph! 
Poor thing practically lives on pills everyday! 

But he is still as cute as ever!  I added some pictures taken of him recently too.

I hope everyone is gearing up for a very happy Holiday!  I can’t believe it’s already Christmas and the New Year.  I swear the time flies by WAY too fast for me! 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 07:15:07 am by Fumble »
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: I SWEAR! we're still alive!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:58:57 am »
Wow!  You have been a busy one! 
I'm so happy that your mom is stable, things having to do with the bowels is never good.  Have they ruled out Chrones Disease?  My sister has that, and what you discribed sounds very similar to the ordeal we went through just before she was diagnosed.  Either way, I hope she is feeling better and is on her way to being hospital free very soon. 
As for poor Mr. Fumbles!!!!  Poor baby!  I hope that the new food the vet has him on works for you guys.  I heart Fumble, and want him to be feeling good and Fumblicious!  besides if his tummys not well, I bet that's one boy who could make a pretty big mess.  lol

Can you please give him a great big hug and some big kisses on his big black nose for me?!   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

And hey, take it easy eh.  You need time for you to relax too.  ;)

Modified to add, that first picture of Fumbles' siloette (sp?) and the sunset on the beach is just gorgeous.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 08:00:28 am by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:14:43 pm »
I'm glad to hear your Mom is doing a bit better.  Poor Fumby...I think Tim still has the fish from Shawn if you want it for the Fumbs. I know how many of the foods you've tried premium and all. Hopefully the allergist if you see them will be able to help you come up with a solution. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you and we all know Fumbs is very lucky to have you for a Mommy most others woul have given up by now. Also is the vet really sure that it's the food and not something environmental because with how many foods you've tried you'd think you would have found something that'd work by now. Kali has an ear infection right now and is miserable so I can only imagine how poor Fumbs is feeling.  Give the big boy a hug and a kiss for me as we've all missed him.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 12:15:47 pm »
thanks for everyone's well wishes! :)  We are happy to be back!  Hopefully things calm down now and i can comment on BPO a little more than once every 6 months!  I miss my big dog community!

I feel like i'm on the never ending food search.  he has been on almost all of the foods... i even searched the list of the best foods out there and tried a few of them... right now, after the home cooked food dibaccle, he's now on the Purina Veterinary Diets HA Hypoallergenic .  I think it's prescription, or at least they only sell it at the vets office. When he first went on it, i was like, "hey he just wants to be like his mama" becuase i'm a vegetarian!  

It's so funny... that first picture... everyone thinks it's sunset.  I have one of them when he was a puppy too in my office... it's actually a very COLD sunrise here on Cape Cod!  It was a grand total of 17 Degrees out there.  and actually, funny enough... fumble went for a swim later that morning.  Two saturdays in a row, he's gone for a freezing cold swim! which then of course i have to give him a rinse/bath after!  those newfs and their cold wateR!

I'll try to post some other pictures of him too!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 02:14:45 pm »
It's so good to see you again.  Fumble looks great in the pics.  Sorry to hear that things have been so hectic.  Sending healing vibes for your mom. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 02:53:28 pm »
I can't believe how big he is with the tummy problems and all. Bear says "thank you" to the Fumbs because he & his younger twin weigh the same and now I can't call him a fatty anymore.  :D

Glad to see you back and see the handsome guy looking so good.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 03:01:14 pm »
awwww.... so great to see you all! Fumbs looks great! And, I so glad to hear your mom is doing better - what a scare!