Author Topic: Anyone else's Newf this small  (Read 15630 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else's Newf this small
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 03:42:41 am »
Just remember - quality over quantity. :D

Seriously, though, I know where you are coming from.  I'm the same way with Sierra.  She is 23 months old and people are always telling me how small she is and it drives me nuts, because one of the main reasons I am so drawn to Newfs is because of their size.  She doesn't look big to me, maybe because she doesn't have her full coat and maybe because I see her everyday.  She is average height for females.  The breed standard states 26" at the shoulder and she is 26 1/2", but she is still just under 100 lbs.  Our vet is very happy with her proportions.  She's a nice lean dog even though her parents were MASSIVE.  Her mother met the averages for a male at 29" and 160 lbs, and her father was 187 lbs.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 05:54:09 am »
I took Koda to the vet yesterday for his second round of puppy shots, he is 3 months old exactly today. He was 30 lbs when he was weighted yesterday. When we first got him at 8 weeks he was 20. He's only gained 10 lbs in a month, is that normal?

Bear was exactly 32 lbs. at 3 months and was 100 by 1 year. After that though, his growing was like a snail. It took another 3 years to get to 150. Now at 6, after a neuter at 5 1/2, he is a large 180. Koda's normal and will turn out perfect!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 08:35:44 am »
i know how you all feel.  not only is Ursa still a Petite Pyr but Fargo and Sadie aren't the world's biggest Newfs either.  Fargo is 5.5 months old and weighs in at 50 lbs.  Sadie is 4.5 months old and is a tiny 33 lbs.  when i hear of 7 month olds that weigh 100 lbs i worry that i'm doing something wrong.  the vet says that all of my kids are healthy and not to worry but you know how moms are!   :-[
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us