Author Topic: Help! i don't know how to train a gazelle  (Read 7073 times)

Offline no.newf.ashley

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Help! i don't know how to train a gazelle
« on: December 29, 2008, 07:28:18 am »
I just arrived at my parents place, and they have a beautiful 2 yr old golden...his only down fall is that they haven't put a lot of training into him.  I think the only things he knows how to do are sit and down, but thats all to his descretion anyways!  He has a huge problem with jumping up onto me, and other people.  He's so freakin leggy and at 80lbs its like having a gazelle come at you.  I have already learned that you do NOT turn your back to him or he WILL tackle you.  It is a serious problem, i can't even walk out of the washroom without dealing with this, and i don't know how to counteract it!  If anyone has some quick training techniques, (or ways i can come out of this fully intact)just for the next week and half, i would LOVE to hear some suggestions.  really i'll try anything.

I will give him this...He's very cute, while sleeping.

Icerotti

Re: Help! i don't know how to train a gazelle
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:50:41 am »
Rosie liked to jump too. A quick knee (not hard- bring it up like you would to step up on a step) to the chest helps along with the off command.

If you can step on the back toes (of course not hard just enought to get them to move the feet back) they will jump down.  Works better when they have thier front feet up on you. You can also use the off command with this.

Good Luck

*Aren't they all cute when they are sleeping  ;)..lol
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 07:51:51 am by Icerotti »

Tonda

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:57:10 am »
By far the most effective method I've ever used for addressing this problem is the "aww, thanks for the paws" method.  To do this, as soon as he jumps up on you, grab his paws and say, "aww, thanks for the paws!" as if you really mean it.  Except, don't let go.  Keep holding on until he tries to pull his paws back, and then keep holding on some more.  He will squirm, may even try to chew your hands off his paws, but don't give them back.  When he settles down, give him his paws back.  Get others to do the same thing, and pretty soon, he'll realize that when he jumps up, he doesn't get his paws back, and he'll quit jumping up.  I've had 100% success rate with this method.  It takes a little persistence, but give it a try.  It will work.

This is freaken brilliant! The pups are just getting to the jumping up stage and I'm sooooo going to use this on them. *insert evil grin here*

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 10:21:10 am »
Yup, I've used that method on the dogs at work and it seems to work pretty well.  Don't be surprised if he whines or cries a bit for you to release, it's all a ploy.........l ol.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 05:08:28 pm »
I've never heard of that technique, but I love it and will start using it on Kentucky immediately. That's really the only big thing we have left to train her out of . . . well, that and taking off like her a$$ is on fire if she gets off leash or out the door.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 03:13:13 am »
I've got to try this. Athena gets really excited when she is outside and has started jumping at me full force and its like getting tackled by the "Steelers"!!  ;D. I just have to have enough eye hand coordination to catch those paws!  ;D :D
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 05:33:45 am »
Just be careful not to hold the paws too long.  Standing on the hind legs too long for some dogs, really can be painful and if they twist or turn too violently, struggling, it can be hard on their hips, back knees, etc.  The only thing that worked with Max was a simple NO.  His legs were way too long and me way too short, for my knee to even connect with any part of his body.  The only person he still jumps on is my daughter in law, but she never stopped him as a puppy, so now she gets 199 pounds of Max supporting himself on her shoulders.  LOL
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

angelsmama

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 06:35:48 am »
i'll have to try that on angel. shes 6 and still jumps up on me. lab mix i used to have named pj would only jump when invited. his word was "skiddup" i dont know where we got that from but that was PJ's word to jump :P