Author Topic: First day of training for the Newfs  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
First day of training for the Newfs
« on: December 28, 2008, 01:26:29 pm »
The Newfs had their first formal training class today and it looks like I was worried for nothing!  Some of you may remember that we did their basic training at home so they started today in intermediate.  I felt like they were ready but it's hard for me to be objective sometimes.

We had a couple of problems keeping the dogs focused on us in the ring instead of each other but once we split up for individual practice they both did very well! 

I was especially proud of Fargo.  Not only did he relax around our classmate in the motorized wheelchair but my fuzzy baby bear actually sought out some attention from strangers!   ;D

The best part?  Ursa's daddy is handling Sadie during class so he's getting a chance to bond a bit more with her and to practice getting the puppies to obey him.  We had originally thought we'd swap off dogs so everyone could try working together but quickly realized that wasn't going to work. 

Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Re: First day of training for the Newfs
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 02:25:30 am »
Ursa is about 6 weeks ahead of the Newfs in class.  We do her class on Saturday and the Newfs go on Sunday.  One of the downsides to having triplets is how much time you spend at training classes!   :)

With any luck (and a lot of work over the next several months) everyone will have their CGC by next summer!

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 07:15:56 am »
Esther - our Newfs were older than yours when they came to us but we started basic training at home the day they arrived. 

Ursa was 4 months old when she started her first class.  I bet your fur baby would love a puppy class!

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 07:37:56 pm »
That is awesome that you have the Newfs in training classes and that they're doing well! Good luck with it! I trained my two myself, and just having 2 pups to train at the same time was tough enough; can't imagine having 3 young ones! But I'm jealous all the same!  :D
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."