Author Topic: Help with snow  (Read 4136 times)

jesday

Help with snow
« on: December 30, 2008, 04:46:11 am »
Spokane made national news yesterday with all time record snowfall. Very pretty, but I'm getting worn out. :( So to all you Canadians, Michiganites, New Englanders, anyone who has to deal with furry dogs and snow I seek your advice.

We've all experienced the snowball effect and ice balls in their feet. But these bubs come in every time with them all over. I have to blow as much off as I can with my Airforce commander, then use a heated hair dryer to get off the stubborn ones and in some cases (a lot of cases)the only way I can remove them is to hose them off and work them out. (we have heated outdoor hose) >:(

Syrus has this huge mane that acts like a snow sucker. It double folds across his chest. I'm having a hard time getting him dry all the way to skin and I've noticed he's starting to smell in that area. Not wet dog smell, skin irritation smell. So far I can not find any open sores or even redness, but I can't get the smell out even with shampoo.

Plus it's getting to the point I don't even want to let them out because of the time it takes to bring them back in.

Anyone have any tricks of the snowy trade? ???

The last photo is what Syrus thinks of Snowbirds who go south for the winter. :D

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Help with snow
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 05:02:11 am »
Penny loves to play in the snow so I let her play out there for hours and she comes in with snowballs everywhere. I take a manual approach to snow removal. I try and keep her as dry as possible so she won't get irritated skin. I towel her off to get the easy ones, and I take the more stubborn ones off with my hand - my body heat makes them melt a bit and I can carefully work them out with my fingers.

My only other advice is to trim the fur between their toes and under their pads, which are major snowball attractors. The shorter the fur is there the less there is to cling to
RIP former BPO

Offline faye

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Help with snow
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 02:26:26 am »
I trim the hair on their legs for the winter. and we use the dog dryer when they come in if it's bad.  usually just towel dry. the trimming is great even in spring when it's mud season around here.