Author Topic: Newly hesitating to come in through the back door...  (Read 6845 times)

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • My fur-kid, Tucker, at 16 months.
    • View Profile
Newly hesitating to come in through the back door...
« on: December 27, 2008, 06:26:20 am »
Recently, like the past month or so, Tucker has been hesitating to come back in the house after being let out to pee or play in backyard.

To best of our knowlege, he hasn't been "struck" by the door, had it closed in his face or anything traumatic that would've made him scared of the door.  The first thing we thought of was that because we would let him out for one last pee before kenneling him for the night, he began to think "if I come back in house, i have to go to bed"....so we changed his routine, do his last pee out at 9pm, then are still up for 2 hours hanging with him before he has to go to bed.

It seemed to work for a bit, but now Tucker is right back to hesitating. It is getting really frustrating as he'll bark to come inside, be standing RIGHT by the door, peering in the window, and we'll open it for him...and he'll back up, and just stand there, looking at us. And won't move.

We have lured him in with food, but we don't want that to become a habit, that he only  comes in when offered cheese ro whatever...

Any ideas why he's hesitating? Or how to put it to an end?
Thanks.
Sarah
Mom to daughter, McKenna,
With us for 40 weeks, 1 day
Silently Born Into Eternity
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese
Simba, 2 years, Orange Tabby
Mom to one reptile-teenager,
Trevor, 16 years, red-eared slider turtle

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Re: Newly hesitating to come in through the back door...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 08:42:56 am »
If you come up with a solution let me know!  Her Furry Majesty, Ursa, does this same thing.  I just back up a bit and "invite" her to come inside and she does. 
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 08:54:32 am »
LOL...we do back up as well (but need to be cautious as we have two INDOOR ONLY cats we don't want to scoot by us out into the world...) and also make funny noises, shake his favorite toys at him, sit on the floor to coax him into coming in, we open the front door pretending someone new has come in...and none of it works.

Well, stuff might work one or two times, but not consistently, and when its -40 degrees celcius we need Tucker to JUST COME INSIDE!! as fast as possible, we can not afford to let all that heat out!
Sarah
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 09:14:46 am »
Well, it seems you have it figured out so why NOT use the food lure?  The whole point of using food is to get the behaviour you want without having to physically force your dog to obey, then give him a verbal cue with the food then wean him off from getting a treat every time, to every other time, to every 4th time etc etc.  My guys still get a yummy treat once in a while for coming in the house when called.  I am not impressed at all by the idea of getting my gear on to go outside and get them and have them dance around playing "catch me if you can".

If luring him isn't working you can also try making a trail of small yummy treats from him to inside the house that he has to follow and as he starts to "get it" you can space out the treats.  Or you might want to try to lure him by smearing some canned tripe onto a wooden spoon or handle of a broom depending on how far the reach is from him and the door and lure him that way.  Then you won't have to open the door so wide and let all the warm air out, just a crack wide enough to stick the broom out until he gets to the door.  When he does get into the house you can give him a JACKPOT of small treats or an extra lick of the spoon for a job well done.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 10:27:11 am »
I agree to teach him a word command so he knows to come inside.  I had this problem with Nigel when we first got him and Posey.  They didn't understand and wanted to stay outside and play longer.  He learned real quick I don't play those kind of games.

Have you tried leashing him to come inside?  At least until he gets the concept?  That has always worked for me as a last resort.

jesday

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 04:32:15 am »
Maybe one of your two indoorkitties decided they liked it that way. 'I'm in - You're out!' enforced by a covert swat on his tender nose. ;D

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 02:57:12 am »
LOL  I doubt it was a kitty-swat, since they are never near the door when we are getting Tucker to come in, but hey- anything is possible I guess!

We've been using the word "Inside!" and a food lure (randomly) and it seems to be working better.  I think Tucker will be putting two and two together soon enough (he's a smart puppy) and it will click for him.
Sarah
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese

lookingfornewf

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 01:19:10 pm »
That is one reason I got the doggie door. Clifford is a total pain in the butt. If I want him to come in I can yell Clifford all day and get ignored. Most of the time if I yell treat it works. Otherwise he comes to the door barks. I go to the door he backs away, this can be repeated up to a half hour before he comes in. I figure he's barking because he wants me to come out and play and not that he wants in.

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 10:33:23 am »

It is getting really frustrating as he'll bark to come inside, be standing RIGHT by the door, peering in the window, and we'll open it for him...and he'll back up, and just stand there, looking at us. And won't move.

Two thoughts:

1st:  Are you sure he wants to come in? Perhaps he wants you to come out with him?  Berners are renowned for wanting to be with their humans - always - and were bred to be by our sides.  They also love to be outside, especially at night when it is cool and smells come out (animals).  It is not unusual for a Berner to ask their humans to be out there with them - playing with them.  Mine do this - literally demand barking to have me come out.

2nd:  if you rule the above out, then carefully review anything that is stressing him.  Beyond the door itself, is the threshold/entry to the door slippery?  Has he ever missed his footing there? Had anything just inside the door happen negatively?  It doesn't take much for Berners who are so emotionally sensitive - slipping once can cement a floor phobia and generalization for life for example, so don't limit your thinking - it can be something inconceivably small.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar