Author Topic: Great opportunity... Should I take it? Need advice.  (Read 8186 times)

Offline gaagaa4goldens

  • Full Fledged Chewer
  • *
  • Posts: 68
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
Great opportunity... Should I take it? Need advice.
« on: January 01, 2009, 09:17:15 am »
Hello everyone,
     My name is Jennifer and I've been searching for a newfie for about 1 1/2 now. I want to adopt/rescue a young newf.  I've called all the reputable breeders and am in touch with both rescues in my area. Most breeders are willing to part with their adults to be finished in shows, ect.  I'm not interested in that.  I just want a great dog to be my buddy. The rescues only have older newfs.  Now, I've got a young golden and I know that he'd drive an older newfie absolutly crazy.  So I'm still waiting... until today.  There's a breeder that I've had the opportunity to talk to several times.  Although she's not in my area I've had the opportunity to meet 2 males that she bred.  Both were absolutely fabulous. I've asked her all the right questions and she checks out.  People in the local club here even recommended her when I first started my search.  Okay.. now to the really exciting stuff.

     She's got a puppy that is 10 weeks old right now.  Here's the catch... He has SAS, and it's level 3.  This is in the middle on a scale of 1-6.  His condition could get better or it could get worse as he grows.  I'm not experienced enough to know if this is too big of a risk, but I do feel like I'd be rescuing.  (He's in a great situation right now... not in any trouble at all.)  But I feel like he needs me.  What do ya'll think?

Offline gaagaa4goldens

  • Full Fledged Chewer
  • *
  • Posts: 68
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
Re: Great opportunity... Should I take it? Need advice.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 03:15:29 pm »
Hello!  Wow!  That was some great information.  Well, I've called my Newf club contact in my area and she talked to me about this as well.  She had some good points and I'd like to run them past everyone. 
1. Will my own resident dogs overtax the puppy?  I've got a  young golden who is exuberant to say the least and a older golden who is just a big couch potato. 
2. I will have to go and get his heart listened to by a cardiologist at age 12 months. (He'll have to have an eco cardiogram... or something like that... done)  I'll have to travel to do this. Am I willing to do this?
3. Newf pups are fragil, orthopedically speaking.  Am I prepared to keep the pup and the golden from playing rough with each other? 
4.  How do I get him to me?  The breeder lives about 17 hours away from me and I'd have to travel through snow country.  My car is NOT prepared to go through snow.  Should I ask the breeder to meet me?  This sounds bad... but... What about shipping?
5.  Finally, I come to the most important question of all.  I know that I'll give the pup the best possible home that I can.  However, is the puppy better off in a different home? You know... someone with money.  I'm just a poor, single school teacher who loves newfs and goldens. These guys are my babies.

My answers to questions #2 and #3 is an emphatic "YES!"  I know it sounds crazy but I'm so excited I can't stand it.  As for questions #1, #4, and #5 I'll have to think on those.  Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Offline horsepoor21

  • BPO Fanatic
  • ***
  • Posts: 893
    • View Profile
Re: Great opportunity... Should I take it? Need advice.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 04:40:21 am »
Where's the puppy located ?
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

       "Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline gaagaa4goldens

  • Full Fledged Chewer
  • *
  • Posts: 68
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
Re: Great opportunity... Should I take it? Need advice.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 04:26:51 am »
The puppy is located in Ohio. I'm talking to the breeder again today.  I'll let you know what happens.  A transport train?!!!!  I never thought of that.  Ya'll would help me that way?  I'll post again once I talk to the breeder.  I talked to my vet about the situation and she scard me to death.  She told me all of the horror stories that could arise... But I still have a tug at my heart.  I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 04:30:33 am by pyrparent »

jesday

  • Guest
Re: Great opportunity... Should I take it? Need advice.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 05:14:48 am »
Oh, I so don't want to put a damper on your exuberance, especially when it comes to getting a Newf, but I feel I must address question #5.

The potential for huge expense is definite. The medical issues we've had to face with our two young Newfs have been waaayyyy outside the range we expected. In one pup alone we are looking at two separate surgeries at $3000 each. In the year we have had them we figured we have spent well over $2500 and that is not including the upcoming surgeries for Sophie. ($6000) Both bubs will be on medication for the rest of their lives and they are only 16 months old.

My husband and I have often said to each other, after recuperating from another medical expense, there must have been a reason we ended up with these two. Many other families would not be able to afford what needs to be done and the bubs would either be given up, forced to live with whatever condition or the worst possible solution, euthanasia.

With this pup's already known medical issue I might go with Melissakin's advice and wait to see what happens with his SAS. From a financial point of view given your realistic concerns based on your earnings at this time, I would pass on this little guy.  Uugggh, I can't believe I'm advising not to get this baby. I'm just trying to be helpful in your decision.

However if you decide to get him anyway, you must post many, many pictures!! :D

Offline gaagaa4goldens

  • Full Fledged Chewer
  • *
  • Posts: 68
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
Re: Great opportunity... Should I take it? Need advice.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 05:38:12 am »
Okay.  I talked to the breeder again.  The breeder is very good and very through.  She, herself, is a vet.  She's told me that the murmur is a level 3 and may get worse or may stay the same.  There really not a possibility that he'll grow out of it, according to her.  After a LOT of conversations with a member of the Old West Newfoundland Club and my vet I've decided to pass on the puppy.  I think, and I think the breeder is in agreement, that it would be better for this puppy to find a home in his home state (Ohio). 
       However, my story does have a happy ending. I have been researching newfs for over a year now and have made many contacts. By happy circumstance,  I have found an 18 month old female newf that needs to be rehomed.  She is a from a very reputable breeder and is currently staying with another breeder as her original breeder has disbanned her kennel due to a death in the family.  This little girl is very sweet looking and still very playful.  The great thing is that she is big enough to play with my young golden without fear of injury.  That was my biggest fear with the heart puppy.  I've got a boisterous golden who is 12 months old.  I was afraid that he'd work the heart puppy up too much and that he'd aggravate the condition.  That's the other reason that I passed on the puppy.  I'm not convinced that we are the right home for him. 

Offline gaagaa4goldens

  • Full Fledged Chewer
  • *
  • Posts: 68
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
Re: Great opportunity... Should I take it? Need advice.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 08:00:04 am »
Oh...you're so sweet.  I'm the lucky one. I've been searching for this girl for over a year.  I feel honored and privleged to be her new mommy.  I've got pics of her.  See below for attached pics of my girl.  Isn't she just fab!!!!  I'm so excited I can barely stand it... Now to get her to me. 

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

  • BPO Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 1265
    • View Profile
Re: Great opportunity... Should I take it? Need advice.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 08:47:19 am »
Good for you for making the right decision!  Although it's very noble for you to want to take on the HUGE responsibilty of a special needs pup, as El'skids talked about the cost can be very overwhelming, especially for someone such as yourself.  Insurance companies would not issue health insurance to a pup with a health condition such as SAS, and there would be too much heart break in the end. 

But look at where this journey has lead you!  What a wonderful girl your going to be taking into your home!  I just love that big Newfie head of hers!  Do you have a name for her?  Where will she be coming from?  And most importantly, you will be posting LOTS of pictures, right???   :D :D :D :D :D ;D :D :D :D :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

jesday

  • Guest
Re: Great opportunity... Should I take it? Need advice.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 11:06:11 am »
I'm so happy things worked out this way for you. You will have so much fun with this girl. But again, many many more photos must be posted.  :D


Offline gaagaa4goldens

  • Full Fledged Chewer
  • *
  • Posts: 68
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
Re: Great opportunity... Should I take it? Need advice.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 11:12:51 am »
Oh!  I'm so glad that you all back my decision.  I feel now more than ever that it's the right one.  My girl's name is Sushi, but I think it's kind of weird.  I'm wanting to change it to something similar like Chelsea... or Pheobe.  Any suggestions?  She's coming from Florida. Transport train anyone???

Offline Scootergirl

  • Supreme Drooler
  • ****
  • Posts: 1927
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Great opportunity... Should I take it? Need advice.
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 11:17:31 am »
I suggest you keep Sushi - I think it's adorable!

As for the transport, where do you live?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline ZooCrew

  • Tail Wagging Champ
  • *****
  • Posts: 3355
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Great opportunity... Should I take it? Need advice.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 02:01:05 pm »
I LOVE the name sushi......... ..although I usually only hear of it used on japanese breeds   :-\(I know a shiba inu with this name.......... and met one more online......lo l).

Offline gaagaa4goldens

  • Full Fledged Chewer
  • *
  • Posts: 68
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
Re: Great opportunity... Should I take it? Need advice.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 02:35:50 pm »
Hello,
   I am located in North Texas. I'm about 30 mintues north of Plano, 20 minutes west of McKinney and 15 minutes east of Denton.  I live in a little town called Aubrey.  I live in a rural area and have recently picked up a stray beagle that I'm trying to rehome.  I've found him a home, but he's not going there for another 2 weeks.  I don't want to bring Sushi in until he's gone.  He's a really sweet beagle, but I don't want her to have to acclaimate herself to any extra dogs.  So I will most likely be getting my new girl in about 2 weeks.  The breeder is fine with this.  The breeder is located in Destin, Fl.  Does anyone live near Destin out there?
    She does have a squishy face.  I've told the breeder that has her right now that she's supposed to give her lots of kisses on her muzzle from her new mommy. 
   

Offline gaagaa4goldens

  • Full Fledged Chewer
  • *
  • Posts: 68
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
Re: Great opportunity... Should I take it? Need advice.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 04:59:08 pm »
Hello all!
   I'm am so graetful to all of you who helped with my heart puppy decsion.  I'm also very excited to welcome Sushi to my family in just a couple more weeks.  The person who has her now will be down in AR very soon and I'll just drive down there to get her.  AR is about 5 hours away from me so that should be pretty resonable.  I promise to post many pictures when she arrives. 
    I was in the my vet's office today refilling my older guys RX.  I told them that I'd be getting a Newf, and the receptionist and vet tech didn't even know what that was.  They thought that I was getting some kind of cat!!! So I had them look up some images on google and you should have heard the "AWWWWWSSS" that came out of both of them.  They made me promise to bring Sushi in as soon as I got her.  So thanks again to all who offered their advice.  It really helped.