Author Topic: STAY! for about 5 minutes.  (Read 16371 times)

Tonda

Re: STAY! for about 5 minutes.
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 11:17:09 am »
Slag is a dreadful puller, but we're having good luck with one of those sensation harnesses (the kind where the leash attaches in the front, over the chest). My sister took her for a walk on Sunday and reported there was zero pulling!

Viking Lady

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 04:26:58 am »
How easily can I slip him into a harness?

lookingfornewf

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 11:59:54 am »
If he loves his walks as much as Clifford and Annie do getting him into the harness should be no problem as soon as he knows what it is for. Otherwise go slow with lots of praise and treats. Start by him just smelling it so he knows it's a good thing. Clifford will see his harness and wait for me to put it on and lift his paw when I tell him to. And then half the time we do it over cause I've done something backwards putting it on. ;D I do use a regular harness with the clip on the back. He can still pull, but can't slip it and I can grab hold of it to pull him back versus the collar pulling on his neck. IT doesn't slow him down it just gives me more control. It will take trying different things to see what works for you that is why we have a variety of different leashes and collars at our house. By the way, I have failed with Annie, bought everything out there and she still pulls. If my husband walks her (he does not correct her) she pulls and gags the whole time and doesn't care. I doubt even a prong collar would work on her, she's kind of stubborn. ::)

Tonda

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 12:09:22 pm »
Have you tried the sensation-type harness? With the leash attached at their chest, if they pull they either just end up facing you or falling over. They learn pretty quickly not to pull.

Viking Lady

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 12:10:44 pm »
hehe Little Annie does that?!? My husbands dog was a miniature pincher and he was so horrible we stopped trying to walk him cuz it was so embarrassing. As soon as we put a leash on he would start running in circles and turning flips in the air.

Luke didn't pull too bad but I think he will be a puller. He is seeing so much more in the neighborhood now. Dogs and their walkers are coming out of the woodwork! (that doesn't make sense)I think when I get him back out there now he's going to wanna make tracks!

Viking Lady

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 05:38:40 pm »
I plan to go to Petsmart this weekend and get somthing. I assume they will have all the options mentioned. I know I want to have a nice, pleasant, loose ? walk, but have something will get his attention if I need it. I may get two different collars and see what works best. The one he slipped out of was a leather one with a buckle. I thought I had it at a decent size but one notch tighter seemed too tight.

Tonda

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 08:34:01 am »
I yelled and said they were friendly and he just caught them off guard but I don't think he believed me.

Do they ever? LOL!