Author Topic: Kentucky attacked another dog today  (Read 5370 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Kentucky attacked another dog today
« on: January 04, 2009, 11:01:31 am »
We've had our issues with Kentucky at the dog park - most often that she thinks she's the boss of everyone. I call her the "playground monitor". If a couple dogs get in a tussle, Kentucky has to rush over to them and start barking at them like she's telling them what to do or to knock it off.

However, today was totally different. It was nice and cool out the dogs have been restless for a couple weeks now, so we went to the dog park to burn off some energy.

Kentucky was perfect when we got there. She ran all over, playing with all the dogs, saying hi nicely to the humans and was having a blast! Then, in comes this non-intimidating australian shepherd. Kentucky runs up to her as she's coming in and ATTACKS her. No blood was drawn, but Kentucky was definitely the aggressor.

So, I pulled her away and pinned her until the aussie moved on and 'Tucky calmed down. Then, I let her up and she runs right for the aussie again.  I pin her again for about 5 minutes then grab her collar and walk her over to where I left the leash with the pinch collar and put that on.

I walked back over to the guy with the aussie and said, "If you don't mind I'd like to try this again because I think this is her fault" (meaning 'Tucky). He said, "Oh, it's definitely her fault." but he was VERY nice about it. I tried introducing her again while on the leash and corrected her every time she barked, growled or lunged. The poor aussie just stood there staring at her like she was literally "barking mad."

Kentucky just would not calm down so I walked her around the park a few times. Other dogs would run up to her and she was fine with them. After it seemed like she was back to normal, I tried walking up to the aussie with her on the leash one more time and she freaked out again. The aussie's dad just shrugged his shoulders and kind of chuckled. I KNOW we've been at the park with them before and 'Tucky hasn't tried to attack her. I don't know what the deal was or how to stop this next time.

Maybe I just need to be more forceful and not give up so easily? We left the park after the 3rd attempt failed. What do I do if this happens again?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Kentucky attacked another dog today
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 11:11:53 am »
Sorry to hear this has happened.  But I feel you.

I know of several dogs that go to the park and either one or the other will have to leave b/c the dogs simply don't get along.  No one knows why, they just don't.

Since you don't know why she has started this, it may just be something you'll have to be aware of the next time that guy is there with his dog.  More than likely since your dog is the aggressor you should probably be the one to leave.

Dogs are sometimes like people........ ........she may be holding a grudge for who knows what reason.  She may eventually get over it, she may not.

I had to laugh at the park monitor comment though.  We used that exact term for a dog at the park in Ca.  She kept everyone in line there (in a good way).  Her name was Bonnie and she was a boxer.  I was sad to hear her dad had to put her down this past summer.  She was only 7 yrs old but had cancer.  He now has another high energy dog, a vizsla pup........... lol.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 11:24:59 am »
I'm sorry you had issues at the park.  Have you considered that she may be leash aggressive?   Grace is a big lover when she meets people OFF leash as opposed to having a leash on.  We don't have many occassions to be off leash so I basically don't meet people or other dogs with her.  But it's interesting to see the difference with and without the leash. 
I've also noticed that when she has a halter on or her leash is snuggly wrapped around her middle that she minds better and I have more control over her lunging.  I'm not saying you don't have control over her, but it might keep her from those aggressive tendencies if you had a halter leash.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 11:28:18 am »
I get your point, but she was off leash when she first went for the aussie. I did consider that having her on leash may make her more aggressive because she is restricted, but I needed to be able to control and correct her if she tried to go for the aussie again.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 02:04:59 pm »
My greyhound was also one of the "fun police".  He didn't bark at other dogs though.  He tried to roll them over.  We never figured out what it was that set him off and in the end we made the dog park off limits for him. 

Since Kentucky's never done anything like this before you really don't have any way to know what her triggers are/might be.  It really could be just this particular dog.  If so, all you can do is leave if you see the aussie coming in - not much help in solving the problem I know.
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 05:04:56 am »
I guess this means we'll just have to watch out for the aussie. Hopefully our schedules will always be off. I think I'll avoid the park on Sundays from now on, though. It's always way too crowded and chaotic. I think it creates more anxiety than fun for the dogs when there are too many there.