Author Topic: Indroducing another dog  (Read 7400 times)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Indroducing another dog
« on: January 07, 2009, 07:01:17 am »
What is the best way to introduce another dog to Butt? He has never been fond of other dogs, he excepted Tub because he was a puppy when he came home. I'm thinking about having a guy move in with me and he has a dog. I've been putting it off for months because I haven't been sure how to introduce the dogs. The other dog is a med. size (90 lbs) male mixed breed. Should I introduce Tub first since I think he will except him fine? Should they all be introduced together? Should I muzzle Butt to make sure he doesn't bite? All help will be greatly appreciated.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline kpost

• Gnawer
  • My Boys
    • View Profile
Re: Indroducing another dog
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:56:36 am »
Dog introduction should always be on neutral ground, don't get me wrong though i have broke that rule with rescues and just recently by taking in my broth-in-laws chihuahua. My oldest boy is a 6 yr old rescued mastiff, normally he does fine with other dogs but there is always some he can not stand. when we got our puppy he did great, When we brought the Chi home he surprised us by being awesome. But i have tried to help a rescue that took 2 weeks for him to stop wanting to destroy. We kept them separated a let them smell each other through a kennel and slowly worked on it, after Beau pinned him and he peed himself the played great together. afterward some one told me i should have put them both on leash and let them meet while out on a walk, not sure about that one my Beau is a little pushier if he feels like he is held back and he is more protective (towards other dogs)when on a leash and off property. The muzzle i think will make your guy feel vulnerable and can cause him to be more reactive. Does he "leave it" on command, this can be really helpful. is your boy dog aggressive? dog dominant? Leash aggressive or just really pushy and bossy at first (my boy is)? Depending on these things is how you should introduce them. Also what is the other dog like? with a pack the new dog may get pinned and if he is submissive everything should be fine. If he is Alpha material and both males are not fixed it could be difficult. Good luck
~Kim
Mother of 2 young girls ages 5 & 8
Wife of 1 great man
A dog lover but I am biased towards Mastiffs
6 yr. old male brindle Mastiff Rescue named Beau (my Velcro dog)
< 1 yr. Old Male Fawn Mastiff Named Sanuk
10 year old chihuahua named Zoomer
1 yr old Blue fronted Amazon named Kitty

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:35:33 am »
All 3 boys are fixed. Tub at two is still a puppy and believes everyone and everything in life was put here for his sole entertainment. Butt is the alpha here and the protector of all, particularly me. For along time he wouldn't let anyone in the house. Now he as a select group of adults that are allowed in and he doesn't bother even barking at them. He is 100% pushover for my 4 yr old niece and 6 yr old nephew. Alyssa can wrap him up like a baby in a blanket, curl up with him to sleep,have him be her dolls horse, what ever she wants.He's not leash aggressive at all, both the kids can walk both Butt and Tub with out any problems and the boys way out weigh them. The other dog Pogo is more hyper then my boys, but that could be my opinion since I live with 2 Saints that live to sleep:) Pogo moves fast, jumps on people,reacts quick if the kids touch him and he doesn't like it, just an in your face dog.He plays with other dogs and has never had any problems. I really don't think he would challenge Butt at all or show any aggression towards either of the my boys. My main concern is how Butt will react to him when we introduce them and how he will react the first time the kids are around.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 09:04:52 am »
The issuse will be bringing him into their territory.  If he does not submit to your dog, then there can be a problem.  Introducing them on neutral ground will tell you if they initially get along.  It won't tell you how your dog will react to an interloper in his home.  When I was looking for a third dog, I had my dogs both meet them at a neutral place, walked them together, etc.  Everything was fine with each dog they met, until we walked them home.  Then Cody said no.  He was not letting them in his house with him.  Even though they were female, and "should" have been okay, it wasn't.  Neither of them were submissive and growled back at him.  That did not fly with him at all, so we kept looking.  If your dog growls at the new one and the new one submits to him, it will be okay, as long as the new one doesn't just bide his time and continue to push it.  If he eventually does bow up back at your dog, there will be a fight and the loser is expected by the winner to leave, unless they submit during the fight.  That is dog logic, unfortunately.  "You did not submit.  You kept fighting and I beat you.  Now you leave and don't come back."  That is what I am dealing with now, with my pyr and my wolfhound.  The wolfhound was torn up, had to go in for surgery to repair his chest and the pyr is determined to get to him to finish the job.  They cannot even be where the pyr can see him through a door, without the pyr attacking the door, trying to get to him.  Good luck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

AudgePadge

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 09:37:49 am »
I think my best advice is to take both dogs on a looooong walk separately, get them both tuckered out.  Maybe Pogo can go on a run around the dog park or something, play fetch, you get the idea.

When both dogs are pretty tired, take them both on a walk together, don't let them pay too much attention to each other at first.  Then go onto neutral ground, like a small park and let them sniff each other for a bit, then walk around.

Really worked for us when we brought Ramses home. Good luck!

Tonda

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 09:57:10 am »
So much just depends on the individual dogs and what they’ve been used to up till now . . .

If Butt is fine with new dogs at the dog park and on walks, and he’s used to other dogs coming and going at your house, you should be fine. If not, it could be a challenge. I think everyone’s suggestions of getting them to know and accept each other in a neutral place is a good one. Once they’ve mingled and acclimated, you can then bring them all home together and see how that goes.

Best of luck with them, and keep us posted!

Offline kpost

• Gnawer
  • My Boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 06:34:48 am »
The only thing you mentioned that sent up a red flag for me, is if pogo is hyper and jumps on people. Your boy may feel he is disrespecting, especially with your nieces. The only time Beau almost took out the puppy was because he made my youngest cry and Beau actually picked him up and slammed him, he was ok but he never nipped at her pants again. Since you and your boyfriend live separately right now, you can probably get them out and about then have them over for play dates. if those go fine you can move them in. My boy Beau is very protective of me and my youngest (the whole family too but we are his favorites). He also has his own idea of how a dog may behave and if one breaks his rules of etiquette he handles it, which can look scary but he has never harmed another dog. As for Butt if he is Alpha then pogo needs to submit, or there will be a battle and Butt may submit or pogo will have too or leave. Pogo needs to learn his manners before he is with Butt though, because if pogo jumps on you you would need to put him in his place or Butt will do it for you. Another odd question is have you ever argued in front of Butt with your boyfriend, if he is that protective he may not accept a new male alpha in the house your boyfriend. Hope it goes great Butt will most likely surprise you as long as you control the situation remember you are Alpha not him. plus i would have the boyfriend do some training with him so butt respects him not only likes or tolerates him. In my house Beau sees it as Mom is top then dad and the kids then him and it is his job to make sure everybody with 4 legs listens. He actually will wait till i repeat myself with the puppy then yell at him his self. they are smart animals and naturally don't like violence so Butt should be fine as long as his family is safe and respected. Good Luck.
~Kim
Wife of 1 great man

Tonda

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 06:59:03 am »
Another odd question is have you ever argued in front of Butt with your boyfriend, if he is that protective he may not accept a new male alpha in the house your boyfriend.

Oh, man . . . I didn't even think of that. My best friend had a fabulous mutt that he used to play this game with: He's slap my arm and yell "Ouch". The dog would then growl at me, or she's lay across his lap and guard him from me. Then one day she figured it out, and suddenly she was siding with me, LOL! The look on his face.

Offline kpost

• Gnawer
  • My Boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 07:12:35 am »
Yep my husband got too close in an argument and Beau thought he was in the wrong, so Beau got between us and stood straight up and shoved my husband back about 6 feet, i think he was saying if i have to choose I choose mom. He never growled or showed aggression he just made his point clear. Beau is also extremely submissive to my husband, but in his head I am mom and mom rules. The funny thing is even if we are joking around if my husband hits me beau grabs his hand and grumbles if i hit my husband Beau grumbles at him, like why is mom mad at you. If we keep doing that he walks away disgusted with us both.
~Kim
Wife of 1 great man

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 02:12:03 pm »
The guy moving in isn't my BF, he's my ex husband. We have remained friends after our divorce and with the economy we are going to live together to save some $. So Butt is very used to him and we have argued in front of him in the past. Pogo generally only jumps on people when he first meets them, I expect it,so I always block it. I think it will help if Pogo is taken for a long walk, before , because that does help him calm down. We are going to try and have them meet on neutral ground as soon as I get my mind set right and quit worrying about my boys getting hurt.

Offline kpost

• Gnawer
  • My Boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 05:31:12 am »
If that's the case you may have no problems because if butt sees you as both alpha he will take your lead. Beau is actually better with other dogs at home then out. Its kind of like well this is mom and dads house what they say goes but when we are out he wants all four legged creatures to have proper manners and gets upset if they do not. I hope everything goes great and saving money is always a good thing. the only point that more supervision may be necessary is with your nieces. Butt may tolerate and even like Pogo, but if he is rude to the nieces Butt may get protective. Good luck to all of you and your boys are beautiful.
~Kim
Wife of 1 great man

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 07:29:30 pm »
Thanks, I will watch everything very close around the kids when they are here. I always do around Pogo because he is as gentle around them as my boys are. I think they are beautiful too, but I may be a bit prejudice;)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 01:58:41 pm »
Well we finally had our first meeting. Tub and Pogo smelled each other a little bit and were fine. Butt however started barking and carrying on as soon as he saw him. If we ever let them get close enough Butt would lunge and grab Pogo. We kept separating them and would walk more, but it never seemed to help. I'm not sure what to try next, I don't want Pogo to get hurt.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 04:14:12 pm »
I think Butt needs a real good long work out before meeting..and as suggested before you really need to let him know you are in charge not him..

Walking together with a strong pack leader can do wonders..

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 05:21:45 am »
He was walked before hand, I can't over walk him though because of his shoulders. I have decided that next time I'm going to try it without Pogo's Dad around, I think he gives off the wrong energy and tries to push it to work too fast.