Author Topic: Hi there, another newbie.  (Read 8834 times)

tralfazmom

Hi there, another newbie.
« on: January 09, 2009, 06:57:21 am »
Hi all, what a terrific site. I have been reading here for a few weeks, and can't tell you how great it is to find a site with positive and happy people! Too many times when you find a site to ask a question, you get negative or rude treatment, and I have yet to see a reply that wasn't constructive and meant to educate.
  We brought home our Gus about 7 weeks ago, and added him to a crazy bunch of dogs, cats, and kids. He fits right in! so far, no huge problems, just lots of loving, consistent discipline and treats, treats and more treats! Housebreaking was a snap, and as of today, we haven't eaten anything we aren't supposed to.  I have to thank you guys for some of that, I have learned a lot of what to watch out for from you. Keep up the great work, and thanks for a wonderful forum!

Tonda

Re: Hi there, another newbie.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 07:00:01 am »
Oooooooo, another Pry with dark markings. I have such a weakness for them . . .

Welcome to the board!

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 07:03:03 am »
Oh what a little sweetie you got there!! Welcome!! Yep your right, this is a great site.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline kpost

• Gnawer
  • My Boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:15:55 am »
Welcome...i am new here too and think this site is great, i haven't seen one nasty comment yet.
~Kim
Mother of 2 young girls ages 5 & 8
Wife of 1 great man
A dog lover but I am biased towards Mastiffs
6 yr. old male brindle Mastiff Rescue named Beau (my Velcro dog)
< 1 yr. Old Male Fawn Mastiff Named Sanuk
10 year old chihuahua named Zoomer
1 yr old Blue fronted Amazon named Kitty

AudgePadge

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:28:27 am »
aww welcome!! Puppies! Fluffy Puppies are a weakness here... I'm Audrey, kids are in the siggy- and, like always- can't wait to see more pictures!

lookingfornewf

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 07:35:04 am »
If you've been reading here for a few weeks you do know we can be kind of demanding. We need more cute fluffy puppy pictures, Pleeeeeeeeease more pictures of Gus.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 08:27:06 am »
Hello and welcome!  Glad to have you here, your avatar is adorable!

My name is Chris and my crew consists of Keiko, my husky/shep mix, Gunther, a great dane, and Nigel and Posey, two rat terriers...... .and a slew of other pets as well......lol.  :D

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 08:31:17 am »
Welcome!!! Your pup is super cute and YES we NEED more pictures  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 01:41:51 pm »
awww, cute fuzzy pupper.  Welcome!!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 01:58:39 pm »
Welcome!  Your Gus is just adorable!
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 01:58:56 pm »
Nice to meet you and Gus. I'm Jaime and am mom to Mr. Bear- a 6 year old Newf.

I'm glad that your reading here has made a great impression thus far!  
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

tralfazmom

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 05:58:34 pm »
Thank you for such a warm welcome. Yes, I will post more pics as soon as I take them. So far, we have lots of new puppy pics but as soon as the other guys see the camera they duck and hide! I have always had German Shepherd Dogs, and the easier, lower drive of a Pyr is exactly what we were looking for. We researched many breeds for over a year, and had a REALLY hard time choosing just one. So far, we are the right fit for a Pyr, and we are strong believers in the family fitting the breed, not making the dog fit the family.
  Our only issue so far has been with meeting small breed dogs. We are trying our best to socialize Gus as much as possible. We live in a rural area on a large acreage, so traffic and other dogs are not part of our daily life. When we take Gus out to meet other dogs, he doesn't quite know what to do with the little yappers that often frequent the park and the dog friendly shops we take him to. He is quite puzzled by the frantic yapping and spinning that so many of the small breeds do. When he approaches one of them, we ask him to sit, and on several occasions he has had his nose snapped at! How do you properly socialize a pup to dogs of all sizes when the other dogs are not very well behaved?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. He starts Kindergarten classes in 2 weeks, so I hope that we will be in contact with other dogs who are also learning their manners. 

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 06:07:06 pm »
He is too cute!!!! 

I'm sure the classes, and age, will help with that issue!!  When Issy met my neighbors toy poodle for the first time she picked him up by the head and started to carry him around!!  She thought he was one of her toys!!  But they became fast friends with time!!!

Welcome, and good luck!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 03:59:55 am »
  When he approaches one of them, we ask him to sit, and on several occasions he has had his nose snapped at!
It seems like those people have to socialize their dogs better and not you  :-\ I would suggest to stay away from those little ones that snap at him. He might develop intolerance (understandably so  :P) to little dogs and it might become an issue when he matures and will be a BIG dog.

The best way to socialize puppies is taking them to classes and pet stores. If there is no dog park where there are two separate areas for large and small dogs I would avoid it until a little later. It's better meeting well behaved dogs while he is "getting his mind in gear"  :D
It sounds like you are doing wonderful job  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)