Author Topic: Need help with training motivation  (Read 4265 times)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Need help with training motivation
« on: January 18, 2009, 06:29:27 am »
For those of you who do a lot of training or have been in training for a long time, how do you keep yourself and your dog motivated?

We go to class every Saturday and Sunday and have been for sometime. The Newfs are fairly new to formal classes so they are still pretty enthusiastic. Ursa, on the other hand, seems to be suffering from burn out. Yesterday was her first Advanced class and even our trainer noticed that she just wasn't into it. We've had this problem at home off and on (not surprising given her age and her breed) but this is the first time that she mentally checked out during class.

Part of it may be that we have taken off the Gentle Leader in preparation for her CGC training. She seemed to associate wearing the GL with working. She's never worn the training collar during at home training though and we've had the problem here.

I can see the potential for Fargo to have the same problem down the road as he gets tired of training about 3/4 of the way through every class. Once he's decided that he's had enough he isn't exactly the most cooperative dog either!

Taking a break right now isn't an option. Our trainer will be leaving in the spring to get married and will be taking some time off herself so we want to finish all of our basic classes with her. We've had trouble finding another trainer that likes working with the giant breed dogs.

Any suggestions on how to keep everyone motivated?
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with training motivation
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 06:53:10 am »
I had quite a few times when Lily will totally shut down and refuse to do anything in the class. I didn't find the way to bring her back to life  :-\ The only thing that worked for me is when she isn't into working I put her in a crate right in front of the training ring while I am playing and training another dog and give out plenty of treats. Lily gets somewhat left out and is much more eager to work when I bring her back in  :)
I try to make every training session as one long game. I have some toys hidden in my pockets, tons of treats and hands to give butt rubs in between exercises. Most of the time dogs really feel our energy and if we are enjoying playing obedience they will do the same in return  :)
NOW you have to multiply fun by THREE! LOL  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 12:52:04 pm »
It doesn't always work, but sometimes with Jake, taking a few minutes and just really roughhousing with him will get him back to a frame of mind, where he is focusing on me again.  When I say roughhousing, I mean where he is leaping into the air to try and body slam me.  I turn at the last minute and he goes by my shoulder.  Using a high pitched voice and lots of quick body movements will get all my dogs, other than Cody, going.  My energy level gets theres up and they pay attention to what I am doing.  You have to keep the energy up, while maintaining some kind of focus, which isn't easy, but is better than a roadkill imitation.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 01:18:46 pm »
I taught all my guys "tuggie" on command with their leashes(or you can use a separate toy).  This helped keep it upbeat and fun between practices.  It was a nice stress reliever and was good at tuning them back into the game.

Make sure that your instructor realizes that some dogs have short attention spans and respects that.  Nothing can turn some dogs off faster than too much repetition, ESPECIALLY if they already did it right once or twice.  :)  Not all dogs are goldens and border collies.....   lol
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.