Author Topic: Lower calorie then Innova?  (Read 6777 times)

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Lower calorie then Innova?
« on: January 18, 2009, 07:29:12 pm »
I've got my parents feeding their 11 month old mini/toy Aussie Innova Puppy food, she'll move to the adult formula in Feb. She's a bit chubby though. I can't feel her ribs. She isn't getting much exercise right now, as my parents won't walk her in the cold (we live in MN), and that is part of the problem, but is there a food that is comparable in quality but lower in calories? She's only eating 3/4 a cup a day.

I was thinking of the Eagle Pack Holistic line? They have a food for small/mini dogs under 20 lbs, and she SHOULD be well under 20 lbs (she's like 17-19 lbs right now). I was thiking of putting Gilligan on the Eagle Pack Giant Breed puppy food, anyway.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:37:25 pm by NewfFan »
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Lower calorie then Innova?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 02:38:20 am »
Have you thought of just taking her off of the puppy and putting her on adult?

lookingfornewf

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 03:02:14 am »
I agree with vdoglover. If she is doing well on Innova than keep her on Innova. Your options are decreasing the amount of food( if she is getting less excersise she needs less food) or switching to the adult. If you check their website, it gives calorie content. The adult has less that the puppy and the large breed has less calories than the adult. I had written the company a while back and asked if it was appropriate to be giving my Jack Russell the large breed food as that was what I was giving my Newf. They said it was fine.
How much does she weigh now. I know 3/4 doesn't sound like much but if she is small it makes a lot of difference. When my Jack Russell got a little heavy I switched her from 3/4 to 2/3. She only gets a third a cup in the morning and 1/3 cup at night and she is quite active at 17 pounds. If she were on a poorer quality food with lots of filler she would probably need more food.

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 08:45:48 pm »
I agree with vdoglover. If she is doing well on Innova than keep her on Innova. Your options are decreasing the amount of food( if she is getting less excersise she needs less food) or switching to the adult. If you check their website, it gives calorie content. The adult has less that the puppy and the large breed has less calories than the adult. I had written the company a while back and asked if it was appropriate to be giving my Jack Russell the large breed food as that was what I was giving my Newf. They said it was fine.
How much does she weigh now. I know 3/4 doesn't sound like much but if she is small it makes a lot of difference. When my Jack Russell got a little heavy I switched her from 3/4 to 2/3. She only gets a third a cup in the morning and 1/3 cup at night and she is quite active at 17 pounds. If she were on a poorer quality food with lots of filler she would probably need more food.

Emily,
Stupid me, I didn't stop to think that the adult formula would have less calories. I was thinking it would have less protein, not calories! Sheesh.
Thanks for letting me know that you switched your JR to the Innova adult. I'm glad that the co. said the large breed was ok for her, as I think I'll go with that due to the lower amount of calories. The mini should be around 15-17 lbs, and I want to be able to fill her ribs again. Also, glad to know yours does ok on 2/3 a cup a day, I suppose I could supplement with some carrot and apple chunks (her fave) each day too, if she acts hungry!
Thanks!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 08:47:09 pm »
Have you thought of just taking her off of the puppy and putting her on adult?

Duh! Haha. I was thinking the adult would have lower protein, not calories. I've been checking protein content of different foods for a while now, trying to find something suitable for my Newf, so I didn't stop to think an adult formula would also probably contain less in the way of calories!
Thank you for reminding me!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 03:09:18 am »
Went to the Innova site and it seems their adult is HIGHER in k/cals then their puppy, so I would not switch to that. However they do have a low fat/ low cal formula
http://www.innovapet.com/product_line.asp?id=1411

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 03:22:09 am »
Went to the Innova site and it seems their adult is HIGHER in k/cals then their puppy, so I would not switch to that. However they do have a low fat/ low cal formula

Sheesh I'm a dork, I really should just research, haha. Thank you for looking for me.
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

lookingfornewf

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 06:14:54 am »
Ooops my mistake, sorry, should have double checked the website. I just remembered the adult large breed was quite a few less calories than the puppy.