Author Topic: Piddling help please??  (Read 4401 times)

Offline kmdb

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Piddling help please??
« on: January 20, 2009, 11:18:06 am »
HI :) I have a 3 month old Australian Shepherd. He is so smart, and sweet, but we have started having a problem.  When he is being told not to do any of the things he isn't supposed to do, like jump on my 3 year old, get on the couch, get into the garbage etc. he has started peeing.  He doesn't have any accidents otherwise, and actually tells us when he is out of water or food, as well as when he has to go to the bathroom outside.  I had a 6 foot long piddle trail to clean up this morning, and I just need some help.  Will he grow out of this once he is not a puppy? What are some things we can do to help him to overcome this?  We love this little guy so much, but also need some light at the end of the piddle tunnel.  BTW, his name is Dresden. Thank you in advance!!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Piddling help please??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 11:39:27 am »
Sounds like you've got a submissive pee'er there.  Been there, done that.........L OL.  Dont' want to do it again.  :D

Yes, he should probably outgrow it.  There are some things you can do though to keep him from feeling so insecure.

When disciplining him, try not to raise your voice too much, not more than a decible or two.........lo l.  The louder you are, the more likely he will pee, especially if you are looking at him and near him.

Also when disciplining.. .....try not to get down in his face, or lean down over him.  This will make him feel threatened or insecure, and he will pee.

Praise, praise, and praise some more for proper behavior. this will boost his confidence and confident pups don't pee submissively.

When he's in trouble, I suggest giving him time outs.  Correct him and tell him "NO" or whatever, but when putting him in time out do so as calmly as you can.

Keiko was a submissive pee'er off and on until she was about 5 or 6 mo old.  I worked very hard to be a "gentle" disciplinarian .......lol.... ....so she wouldn't turn out to be a submissive adult.  Build confidence in the dog and he will outgrow it.  If he is feeling constantly threatened or afraid he may never get over it, and could eventually become fear aggressive.

Good luck!

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 11:46:32 am »
I agree with ZooCrew. It should pass with age...does he do this when around other older dogs too?
I've seen that before at the dog park.
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

AudgePadge

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 12:19:01 pm »
I hear ya...Roscoe is like that too...He flips on his back and pees all over himself (lovely sight as you can imagine) 

Anyway, I've found time outs really work- When you tell him "No!" keep it short then send him to the corner or...In our case, his room. lol... Good luck... I hope you post pics!