Author Topic: hey everyone (kinda long sorry) with pics  (Read 5848 times)

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
hey everyone (kinda long sorry) with pics
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:04:21 am »
Hi everyone. I joined awhile ago but havn't been on at all. I just wanted to say hi. I'm 19 and currently have two beautiful dogs. I've always loved big dogs and spent my whole life around them. I had a great dane named Blue when I was 16 and I always knew I wanted to have a giant breed dog when I got my own place.

I was able to get my own dog when I was 17 so about two years ago but because I was living with my dad I had to get a medium sized dog because he didn't want a real big dog in his house. So I ended up getting Roxi about two years ago right after my boyfriend/best friend committed suicide. She helped me get through everything.

I got Roxi from a guy my dad knew. He owned a farm and two of his farm dogs had an ooops litter of puppies. They were a mix between an American Bulldog male and a female Border Collie. So we went looking for a male dog, with long hair, and preferably black. Which alot of border collies have. Well needless to say that isn't what I got. She completely picked me and although my dads friend said she was anti-social she wouldn't leave me alone. After I picked her up I never put her back down. So I ended up taking home a female, very short haired, mainly white with brown spotted dog. LOL!

I got my second amazing companion last October as an early birthday present to myself. I had finally gotten my own house and was finacialy stable. So I had been looking into either getting an Irish Wolfhound, a Great Dane, a Saint Bernard, or an English Mastiff. We looked for months and couldn't find a breeder or rescue around my area. The few I did find never called me back or returned any of my emails. I kinda gave up at that point and figured that when I was meant to find a dog I would.

Well a friend of mine called me and told me that he had found an a guy in his area that had a litter of mixed giant breed puppies. He didn't remember what breeds they were mixed with but he said the guy had both parents on site and it was within driving distance. So he gave me the number and I talked to the guy and set up a time to meet him. It ended up that the dad was a huge Great Dane/English Mastiff mix and the mom was a pure bred Saint Bernard.

This was the second litter the guy had bred and he said the puppies from the last litter ended up having the Saint Bernard's markings and hair, the Great Dane's height, and the English Mastiff's weight. The males from the last litter weighed between 250-300 pounds. I was super excited. The puppies were 3 of the 4 breeds I really wanted so I ended up taking home an amazing "little" 7 week old male puppy. He's amazing but a complete momma's boy and is sometimes stubborn when my boyfriend tells him to do things and looks at me for the ok.

I have some pictures of my babies below.

Me and Blue when I was 16

Roxi at 10 weeks

Roxi at 1 year

Hades at 7 weeks

Hades at 4 months

Hades at 5 months and Roxi at 2 years

Hades: 2 year old, Saint Bernard/Great Dane/English Mastiff mix
Jypsi: 8 week old Cocker Spaniel/Australian Cattle Dog mix
Kane aka Poe, Kira, Karma, Kalypso, and Krystal my kitty kids
A ball python
Otis the rabbit

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: hey everyone (kinda long sorry) with pics
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 11:31:24 am »
Hello and welcome!!
You've got a good looking family. 
Roxi is gorgous, I lover her markings.
Hades certainly does take after the st. bernard in looks.  I have to say though I don't know of many dogs that get b/t 250-300 lbs naturally.  The one's that I've met are obese b/c their owners wanted "big" dogs and like to brag on their size.

My name is Chris, and my crew consists of Keiko, a husky/shep mix, Gunther a great dane, and Nigel and Posey 2 rat terriers.  Plus a few misc. critters...... ....lol.

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 11:42:18 am »
Yea I thought it seemed kinda high when he said 250-300. Last month when we took Hades to the vet he weighed 62 pounds at 4 months and my vet said that he's underweight. Which was weird cause it seemed pretty big and he is eating Innova Large Breed. His food is left out all day and he eats an ice-cream bucket full of food a day. He's really tall though so idk how big he'll get.
A ball python
Otis the rabbit

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 12:11:12 pm »
Granted I have a great dane, and not a mastiff or bernie which are typically more massive dogs, but at 4 mo old gunther was approx 50lbs and at a good weight.  He was 63 lbs by 4.5 months.

wow, an ice cream bucket full of food?!  how many cups is that?!  I don't remember how much Gunther was eating at that age.  I want to say somewhere b/t 4-6 cups, but not sure (I should have written it down for future reference..... .....lol)

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:25:16 pm »
your babies are cute, welcome to the board.
Im Jo, owned by Zero & Jigsaw, two bull terriers, reba a chinese crested and Pavi a Xolo.
hope to see more of your crew :) your Hades looks like he will be one big beautiful feller :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 04:31:11 pm »
Yea neither of mine were planned and I got really lucky to find both of them.
A ball python
Otis the rabbit