Author Topic: Akitas and off-leash dog parks?  (Read 26456 times)

Offline Elizabeth

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Akitas and off-leash dog parks?
« on: August 15, 2005, 09:19:59 pm »
I have a 7 month old akita boy and have worked very hard to socialize him, thinking enough socialization would make him a little more predictable. He did fine until he hit 6 1/2 months and began to assert his dominance with other dogs by laying on top of them. We are trying to break him of this habit because he will be over 100 pounds as an adult.

Do you think it's possible for an akita to be able to handle an off-leash park as an adult?

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Akitas and off-leash dog parks?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 10:10:45 pm »
Of course!
A dog, regardless of breed, is only as good as its' Master.
You have to be diligent, understanding, forgiving, diligent, forgiving, etc., etc.
Your boy will someday meet a dog that doesn't want to be layed upon, that's when the lesson will be learned. It will up to you to determine what his reaction will be, and be prepared to deal with it.
There are various forms of agression and dominance.
Be prepared to handle your animals reaction to another animals reaction.
If they can walk away unscathed and unscarred, physically and emotionally, then you've done a good job.
If you walk away cursing the other dog, or its' Master, then you have to go back to school!
It's OK to tell the other dogs Master that he/she is F%#ed up, when your dog has done everything right.
Just make sure that you know your dog!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 10:27:30 pm »
I agree.....but the reality is that you have a dog that was bred to be a fighter (fought bears in Japan) and if stressed, can revert to his breeding.  DO be careful.  I had an Akita for 13 years who was absolutely wonderful for the first five.   My 7 year old daughter went through training with him and she could walk on the bike path at the beach and he was PERFECT.  At around five years, he became incredibly territorial, and would attack meter readers, the UPS man, the wild animals who live here, cats who strayed in to our yard.  It was SO stressful.   We ended up having to keep him confined even though we live in area with no leash laws.  I agree that training is absolutely key but also understand that Akitas can be very difficult to handle!

Offline Elizabeth

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 10:59:07 pm »
One of my fears is that without the dogpark, he won't be able to get the socialization he needs, and honestly, he has become noticeably more dominant the past two weeks (puppy puberty is what I've been told by his obedience teacher). He is a doll with me and my family though, and of course we couldn't love him more if we tried.

Are there alternatives for dogs who are working on being good dogs, but haven't quite achieved the title ?

Offline Elizabeth

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 11:00:20 pm »
By the way, I love your photo! What a sweetie!

ann

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 07:45:04 am »

i would keep taking him everywhere you can and train him alot over and over he is so young you san mold him into a perfect dog ,akitas are one of my favorite breeds they are so beautful and noble  i'm sure you will do everything right keep us posted........ ....

ann

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 08:09:55 am »
I agree with the others ... akitas can be socialized to accept other dogs. Our akita, Joji, absolutely *loves* other dogs.  I have yet to see her act aggressive with a dog, although, she tried to assert dominance in one setting where she was temporarily staying with a friend and the friend brought a new dog into the household.

Overall, I've found that dog parks can be a crap shoot; they really depend on the people who go. The regulars generally don't let anything get out of hand between dogs and the dogs have a good time, but once-a-year visitors tend to bring in dogs who are not socialized and fights break out. Just a thought ... usually regulars show up at parks about the same time every day (or at least routinely) ... you might want to try to find a such a group and go regularly. I'm sure your dog will benefit from the regular dog-interaction.  Good luck!   
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Kiahpyr

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 04:56:45 pm »
Sorry not much help with akitas here. I just want to thank everyone for the information on dog parks. In my city they are in the process of setting up a dog park right in my neighborhood. I can't wait to take Kiah. She loves to play with other dogs. I feel sorry for her when another doesn't want to play with her.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 11:42:45 am »
We rarely go to the dog park anymore for a few reasons...
1.  Maia will fight if another dog crawls and gets in her face
2.  Rocco jumps on random humans if they sound too excited or look like they need some Rocco love.
3.  Maia will take toys and keep them if someone is trying to play fetch with their dog and will run away if the person tries to get the toy and growl if the dog tries to get it.
4.  Rocco plays rough with all dogs.
5.  Small dogs like to snarl and attack my dogs and I am afraid that my dogs will inadvertently (Rocco) hurt them or eat them for lunch (Maia).

I prefer to get together with my friend who breeds goldens.  Our dogs have a pecking order, her mama female is the top,  then her male, then Rocco, then one of the pups (who is 3 now), then Maia, then anyother pup who is around.  They don't see each other everyday so it is fun to see them, but they see each other enough that we trust them all together.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

nickerbokker

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 01:21:47 pm »
Of course!
A dog, regardless of breed, is only as good as its' Master.

oh crap lol

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 01:27:04 pm »
I'm sure that wasn't directed at anybody in particular.... . ;)

nickerbokker

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 01:33:33 pm »
still....im screwed  ;D

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 01:35:24 pm »
Oh, a little (or a lot) of pooh on your poohjamas is nothing to beat yourself up over.  He was just sharing his special-specials....just like Bear with his drool.  You must be SOOOO special to have that effect on dogs! ::)

nickerbokker

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 01:43:07 pm »
i'm nicki...cummon, we all know im special.  special  that is lol.    i so glad everyone needs to share thier poo and drool with me, i guess im one of them now

Offline mr2gurl4life

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 03:40:54 pm »
I agree.....but the reality is that you have a dog that was bred to be a fighter (fought bears in Japan) and if stressed, can revert to his breeding.  DO be careful.  I had an Akita for 13 years who was absolutely wonderful for the first five.   My 7 year old daughter went through training with him and she could walk on the bike path at the beach and he was PERFECT.  At around five years, he became incredibly territorial, and would attack meter readers, the UPS man, the wild animals who live here, cats who strayed in to our yard.  It was SO stressful.   We ended up having to keep him confined even though we live in area with no leash laws.  I agree that training is absolutely key but also understand that Akitas can be very difficult to handle!

Was he altered? Sounds like alot of people have had problems with aggressiveness in their male dogs due to testosterone. Not to say that this is the sole reason, but it can be a contributing factor.
My dads wolf hybrid became extremely agressive at around 41/2 years, after he neutered, his personality changed for the better. (too bad my dad didnt do this sooner, or he never would have had to get 12 stitches on his face)