Author Topic: Should I?  (Read 4018 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Should I?
« on: January 30, 2009, 05:15:57 am »
I was thinking about making a Vest for Naja.  Kindof like a service dog vest that has a big stop sign on it, and something that says, "I'm in training, please don't approach me".  I want to do this because Naja is okay when out on walks, but I want to desensitize her to being in large groups of people, but I don't want people to come up to her (I'd like to work up to that).  I can't afford a professional trainer right now, but I want to work on her manners while out in public.  I know this is something that we should have been working on since she was a pup, and we have, just not consistantly, and we live on a farm in the middle of nowhere so it just isn't that easy sometimes.  But I figure that with me not working right now, I've got lots of time to try a little harder at socializing her.  What do you guys think??  Also what should I do about her barking at little kids?  She's great with Jack (my bfs kid), but lunges and barks at every single other kid we meet... :-[  I've constantly got to keep her on a short tight leash.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Re: Should I?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:30:16 am »
No advice on the barking but the vest is a good idea.  I'd like to make one for mine.  We find it very hard to get any training done because everyone we pass wants to stop, pet and visit. 

Maybe 2 vests for mine.  One saying don't approach and the other asking people to pet for those times when we're training on greeting people.
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 12:05:32 pm »
I don't know that you would want to do it, but I have found that with ChiChi, since I always muzzle her, to take her for a walk, people avoid her.  I guess they assume, that since she wears a muzzle, she is vicious.  The first few times I took her out, before we got the muzzle, people would want to pet the big fluffy dog and I had to verbally warn them away.  Now they will cross the street to avoid her. 
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 01:00:15 pm »
I don't know that you would want to do it, but I have found that with ChiChi, since I always muzzle her, to take her for a walk, people avoid her.  I guess they assume, that since she wears a muzzle, she is vicious.  The first few times I took her out, before we got the muzzle, people would want to pet the big fluffy dog and I had to verbally warn them away.  Now they will cross the street to avoid her. 
Kathy

I have the same experience with Roxi but with a halti, not a muzzle. We got Roxi a halti to stop her from pulling and anytime Roxi or Hades is wearing a halti people don't pet them. Every parent tells their children not to pet the dogs because they bite and they then point at the halti and say "See they have muzzle on, that means they bite." So maybe try a halti. It can also help with the barking because once she starts you can pull hte halti tight and it will close her mouth.
Hades: 2 year old, Saint Bernard/Great Dane/English Mastiff mix
Jypsi: 8 week old Cocker Spaniel/Australian Cattle Dog mix
Kane aka Poe, Kira, Karma, Kalypso, and Krystal my kitty kids
A ball python
Otis the rabbit