Author Topic: Bullmastiff with a broken toe  (Read 7642 times)

Offline HunE1124

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Bullmastiff with a broken toe
« on: January 30, 2009, 04:35:42 pm »
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me.  My 1 year old, 125 lb., bullmastiff broke her little toe on her back, right leg.  I called my vet and they said there was nothing they could do for it, just like a human toe.  They recommended I give her 1 extra strength tylenol every 12 hours.  I had my doubts about doing that, but I did, because that's what the vet said to do.
The first few days she laid around all day, wouldn't put any weight on it, wouldn't go up stairs, and hopped on 3 legs when she HAD to.  I gave her the tylenol for a few days, but stopped because I am worried about giving it to her for a prolonged period of time.
It's been 6 days and she is getting around more, putting a little weight on it, but I am worried.  She is walking on the inside of her foot (putting all the pressure on the 3 good toes)  I just worry because she is such a large puppy that it will do damage to her foot, leg, hip...if she continues to walk on it funny.
Does anyone have any experience with this?  Any advice?  Am I just worrying too much?
Thanks.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bullmastiff with a broken toe
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 07:23:29 am »

Believe it or not that is a very painful part of the body to injure. There is nothing they can do  for it and just putting a little of weight is painful. I know i had a window blow out of a basement and land on my foot not only did it break my toes but i had to get stitches on my toes. I couldn't even put a sock on the pressure of that was so painful! Only time will heal the toe.The first week will be the hardest try and keep her comfortable That is all you can do . Sorry for your pup! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 03:41:27 pm »
I was wondering about the Tylenol as well.  I've heard you can give buffered aspirin but that's it.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 04:33:50 pm »
Uses for aspirin

Dogs are most commonly given aspirin for treatment of arthritis and associated joint pain. There may be other situations where your dog is in pain, where aspirin may give relief.

Aspirin has good anti-inflammatory effects that reduce swelling. It can also reduce pain and fever. These effects will help make your dog more comfortable.

Note that a dog is not a human. Just because your dog "does not feel good" is not a reason to give it an aspirin. Usually, aspirin is given as temporary solution to relieve extreme conditions of discomfort. Also note that most vets prescribe Rimadyl as a better pain-killer and anti-inflammatory than aspirin.
Use caution

You should use caution In administering any medication to a pet. Giving too large of a dose of aspirin may be toxic to your dog. Sometimes the medicine may not be tolerated or it can cause an upset stomach. If often given without food, aspirin can cause ulcers in the stomach.
Can be toxic

It can be toxic if given in high doses of about 30 mg (milligram) per pound of the dog. This means that even a baby aspirin could be poisonous for dogs weighing two pounds or less. An adult aspirin, which is 320 mg, would be toxic for a 10-pound dog.

Use extreme caution when giving aspirin to a very small breed dog. It is also better to give less than more.

To be sure that you are using the aspirin for the right reason and at the right dose, you should consult your veterinarian first.
Not for young dogs or cats

Aspirin is poorly tolerated by young dogs, since they lack the enzymes necessary to process the aspirin. The same is true for most cats.

Do not give aspirin to your puppy or to your cat.
Stomach problems

Aspirin can cause gastrointestin al upsets and ulcers in dogs, just as in humans. You should pay attention to your dog's eating habits when you have been giving it aspirin to watch for signs of an upset stomach.

If there are any signs of ulcers, such as blood-tinged vomiting, it is important to stop the aspirin. Since aspirin slows down blood clotting, a bleeding ulcer could prove fatal to the dog.

To minimize stomach problems, always give food with the aspirin. I prefer to grind up the aspirin and put it in some food to make sure it does not irritate the stomach lining.
No Tylenol

You should not give your dog such products as Tylenol as a substitute for real aspirin. Some people say their vet prescribed Tylenol, but most sources say it should not be given to animals.

Tylenol, Advil or similar non-aspirin pain relievers meant for humans can kill a dog or cat.
Recommended dosage

Most veterinarians recommend from 5 mg to 10 mg per pound of the dog's weight during a 12 hour period. (That is about 10-20 mg per kg weight). Going on the safe side, a recommended dosage of aspirin of about 5 mg/lb (10 mg/kg) seems to work well for most dogs.

If you are going to give more, it is a good idea to check with your vet. Also, note that a small dog should take less per pound.

Enteric coated aspirin is not recommended in dogs because about half the time the coating isn't digested and the aspirin is excreted whole in the stool.
Start small

It is better to start off small and work your way up to the maximum. If the dog has relief with a smaller dosage, that is great.

A standard aspirin is 320 mg. A baby aspirin is typically 80 mg. That means that 5 mg/lb works out to be one baby aspirin per 16 pounds of body weight twice a day.
Chart

The following chart can be used as a guide. Note that this is not medical advice.
Weight of dog in pounds (or kilograms)    Number of tablets each 12 hours    mg
8 lbs (3.6 kg)    1/2 baby aspirin or less    40 mg
16 lbs (7.2 kg)    1 baby aspirin    80 mg
32 lbs (14.4 kg)    1/2 adult or 2 baby    160 mg
48 lbs (21.6 kg)    3/4 adult or 3 baby    240 mg
64 lbs (28.8 kg)    1 adult or 4 baby    320 mg
80 lbs (36 kg)    1 1/4 adult or 5 baby    400 mg
96 lbs (43.2 kg)    1 1/2 adult or 6 baby    480 mg
Summary

The proper dosage of aspiring can give your dog relief from pain and inflammation. You should be aware of possible problems and know the proper dosage. It is good to check with a vet before giving any medication. Remember that dogs are not humans and don't need an aspirin for minor pains.

Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline HunE1124

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:30:54 am »
Isn't Acetaminophen (aka Tylenol®) toxic for dogs? I'm fairly certain it's on the list of things one should never give dogs.

This is my first experience having a dog with a broken bone.  I too did my research and found that most places said NOT to give Tylenol....eve r.  I even bought buffered aspirin, which I read was better to give, and called my vet back to question them.  They assured me that the Tylenol was better.  I gave it to her for a few days, but then stopped.  She has been putting some weight on her foot.  Thank you all for your help.  Any ideas how long it will take for the toe to be completely healed?