Author Topic: Fargo frustration!!!!  (Read 5580 times)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Fargo frustration!!!!
« on: January 31, 2009, 03:57:37 pm »
I need some serious help/advice here!

First a little background.  Ursa just finished week 3 of Advanced Obedience and is doing great.  Fargo and Sadie are in week 5 of Intermediate Obedience and are also doing well for the most part.

The problem is that we cannot get Fargo to heel.  He can sit, down, stay (both sit and down with distance and distractions), come, stand and park it.  He cannot or will not heel, however.  He's always either pulling out in front, hopping up to try to snag a treat or, in the case of right turns, lagging seriously behind.  This is with his Gentle Leader on.  Without the GL you can forget keeping his attention while walking for even a millisecond. 

Even our trainer is a bit stumped.  She's suggested things to try but the light bulb refuses to come on for Fargo. 

Any suggestions?  He's already over 60 pounds and growing like a weed so good leash manners are not optional for him.

Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Re: Fargo frustration!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 04:46:46 pm »
We have changed the treats - although Fargo is so food motivated that I could probably hold out a piece of cardboard and he'd go for it!

I've tried the jog (although it's more like a speedy shuffle  :D) and tapping my leg - no luck.  In fact, even when he does heel successfully he has only one speed - amble!

I've thought about a prong collar and I've done a bit of research on how to fit them properly.  I can't seem to find any info on how old a dog should be before using one.  Is 7 months too young?

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 03:18:13 am »
I'm not sure how my trainer feels about prong collars but I'm going to ask her about them at class today.  Now that Fargo is a little older he's becoming a bit of a brat!

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 10:24:54 am »
Casual boy - I like that.  It describes Fargo perfectly!  Ursa is about as motivated as a Pyr can be when it comes to training.  Sadie is so uber-motivated that she blows the other two away.  Fargo, on the other hand, is pretty "relaxed" when it comes to training. I feel like he wants to please us but only if he doesn't have to try too hard! 

Fargo is not at all motivated by toys.  None of our dogs are.  That's a plus when it comes to staying with distraction and the recall obstacle course.  They aren't sidetracked by toys at all. 

I have been working on using the "watch me" command during heeling.  The early results haven't been encouraging - it tends to make Fargo hop out in front a bit.  I'm trying to solve that problem because I really want his focus on me when we're out somewhere and he needs to be on his best behavior.  I use that command a lot when we're working on long stays and it works very well then.

I will try switching the treat bag to my left to see if that helps.  Basically I will be delighted if all he learns in the next few weeks is how to heel at normal speed.  Am I making a mistake by not pushing him to learn quick, normal and slow as one basic skill?

Intellectually I know that all dogs learn at their own pace.  Emotionally it's hard not to compare him to other dogs in the class who are all "getting it". 

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 04:50:50 pm »
I wish I could help but I really need help myself  :'(
I can't get Lily to heel for obedience no matter what  >:(
She follows me somewhat behind which works OK for Rally training but we just don't advance at all. So far, nobody found a solution for her lazy butt  :-\
Let me know about anything that will help our training  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 04:55:23 pm »
We have changed the treats - although Fargo is so food motivated that I could probably hold out a piece of cardboard and he'd go for it!

I've tried the jog (although it's more like a speedy shuffle  :D) and tapping my leg - no luck.  In fact, even when he does heel successfully he has only one speed - amble!

I've thought about a prong collar and I've done a bit of research on how to fit them properly.  I can't seem to find any info on how old a dog should be before using one.  Is 7 months too young?
I tried prong collars too.   didn't phase Grace or Lady.  with a bigger dog with thick skin, they are pretty useless.
I wonder if a shock collar would help.  i know it sounds bad, but it's mostly a noise thing...lots of dogs respond well to noise.  I actually carry a whistle with me on walks...especi ally right when spring starts and Grace has had all winter to forget her manners.  It's not a dog whistle, but a regular loud whistle.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 04:56:30 pm by Lin »