Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 8217 times)

Offline KylieMay

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Introducing myself
« on: February 02, 2009, 03:23:27 pm »
Hi!
After lurking for a while, checking out all the most excellent photos of your *beautiful* Newfies, I registered.

Mayhem is our second Newfie - we adopted her at 9 months so she has lots of bad habits that I am hopeful you guys can help me deal with! She is a beautiful girl but really small (under 90 lbs.) for a Newfie. (Is there a nicer word for 'runt'?) Her predecessor Chumley was 140 lbs. and a completely different personality. Mayhem is a dog's dog (likes to 'garden' and chase squirrels), whereas Chumley was more of a princess (she would hold up her paw for us to get the ice balls out).

-Kylie
Kylie
Owned by Mayhem, 1.5 yr-old Newfie

Chumley, Newfie, 1996-2008

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 03:38:27 pm »
Hi Kylie!  Welcome to BPO, the best place in the world for all things dog!  Mayhem is adorable, How old is she now if you don't mind me asking?  Would love to see more pics of her.  :D

My name is Alex, my beasts are Naja 21 month old Great Pyr, and Moo same age but 17 pounds - Cairn Terrier/poodle/evil Gremlin.   ;D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline KylieMay

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 03:44:49 pm »
Thanks, Indy!! Winston is a cutie-pie!!
Another benefit to a small Newfie (especially one with bad habits like mine...) is that it hurts less when they dive-bomb you in the AM to wake you up. Haha! For some reason she always seems to get one paw on my bladder. Ayayay.

Alex, looking forward to hearing how you manage 2 dogs of such different sizes! Mayhem is about 1.5 years (2 in June). I will post pix of her in her usual naughty state at some point. :)

Kylie

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 09:11:25 am »
Hello and welcome!
Mayhem is a little cutie and I love the name!  :D

My name is Chris, and my crew consists of Keiko, a husky/shep mix, Gunther a great dane, and Nigel and Posey two rat terriers.

Offline maggiesmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 01:15:26 pm »
Hi, My little Miss Maggie is I guess what you would consider on the small size. She is just about 95 pounds. the vet did tell us that her growth plates are not closed yet so she has some more growing to do. As Soon as I Vcan figure out how to post a picure I will, I am new to the site as well.
Patti

Proud mommy of..
Maggie - Newfie puppy (aka Mr. Freshy von Fresh)
Sophia - Chowbaby

Mommy will come one day for you.. we will meet again my loves...
Mrs. Tu - 17 y/o black chowbaby
Kirby -- - 1 y/o cream chow chow

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 10:58:18 am »
you may have jinxed yourself with the name, which i love!!!  mayhem is adorable!!

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 03:34:02 pm »
Welcome Kylie, Common Mayhem looks sooo sweet... how could she ever be naughty?
I'm Kim ~ mama to Miss Libby and spit~fire Storm
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline maggiesmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 11:25:26 am »
I just LOVE all the pictures of everyone's babies - Mayhem is gorgeous.  Did you give that name or did it come along when you got your baby?
Patti

Proud mommy of..
Maggie - Newfie puppy (aka Mr. Freshy von Fresh)
Sophia - Chowbaby

Mommy will come one day for you.. we will meet again my loves...
Mrs. Tu - 17 y/o black chowbaby
Kirby -- - 1 y/o cream chow chow

Offline KylieMay

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 05:04:06 pm »
Some family issues prevented the originally-intended owner from taking her, so little Mayhem was still at the breeder's at 8 months of age. We had a short list of names, but she decided for us by tackling me to introduce herself. :) It was love at first 60-lbs-of Newfie tackle!!
Kylie

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 04:57:08 pm »
I got Annabelle as a rescue at 13months...... ......We have had the pleasure of her delightful company now for nine months. the first few monts were fairly difficult. She was unruly and not potty trained. but we have done lots of training with both a private instructor and weekly kennel club sessions. She is now starting agility and starting her first trials (wish us luck). So I believe that training, training and more training is the answer. Annabelle is our second rescue newf and we did the same with our Zacky. They both became happy placid newfs......... .....It is easier when you raise them from puppies, but the devotion you get from a rescue dog is very special. we always used to have puppies, but we now give rescues a second chance........ ......I wish you all the best with your special newf :)  Hopefully a picture of Annabelle attached
Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos

Offline KylieMay

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 02:25:19 am »
[Annabelle] is now starting agility and starting her first trials (wish us luck).

Annabelle is incredibly cute!!! We are taking pre-agility courses so hope to follow in your foot(paw?)steps at some point!! I saw a picture online years ago of a Newfie doing weave poles and just cracked up. Our previous Newfie was just *never* going to do something like that, but Mayhem is bouncy and just needs something interesting to do!
Mayhem arrived with zero manners but is just such a sweet dog that training has been a breeze. (It's me that needs to learn... she's a natural!)
Kylie