Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline Vapidfire

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Another dilemma with Gilligan.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 05:57:33 pm »
Hi,

Well after hearing everything you are going through I'd pass on getting a dog from those people.

You need to have a long lasting relationship with the breeder you get your dog from. These are people that should be not only able to but very willing to help you for the rest of the dogs life.

I'd also be very suspicious of a breeder who was reluctant or openly unwilling to take one of their dogs back.

When we were searching for a Newfoundland it was a big hassle. I talked to dozens of different breeders, checked OFFA reports, called people all over the country. I actually started to get discouraged before finding the breeder we're getting our boy from. I not only wanted parents that looked how I think Newfies should look, but had taken the time to champion her dogs, had good health checks, and was a member of at least their local Newfoundland club.  Beyond that I wanted a breeder who was easy to talk with, one that I got a good vibe from. I turned down several breeders based on not feeling "right" about them.

If you're getting such a bad vibe I'd kiss the deposit goodbye and move on. You'll be happier in the long run.
Either go with the pit that you're already starting to bond with or search out another Newfoundland breeder.

Cat.
Serenity: 4yr old Fila Brasileiro
Kaylee: 8mo old Fila Brasileiro
Tanstaafl: 11wk old Newfoundland
The rest of the Zoo.
Cat
Serenity: Fila Brasileiro Female
Kaylee: Fila Brasileiro Female
Lincoln: Newfoundland Male
Keegan: Fila Brasileiro Male
Cathen: Fila Brasileiro Male
Bug & Ger: Devon Rex Cats
Remus: Roommates Mutt
Rescues of all sorts

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:31:32 pm »
Just a though on the OFA situation - have you tried checking the OFA website to see if you can find info on the sire and dam?

Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 12:39:03 am »
I have concerns for both sides- not knowing the breeders I can't form an opinion but certainly do detect the roller coaster ride on your side  In the past few weeks you have changed your mind several times- first it was Gilligan then it was another puppy in the litter then it was 2 puppies in the litter and then it was back to Gilligan again NOW it 2 pitbulls??? 

You do need to have a good relationship with whoever you get a dog from- that is indeed important And you need to make a decision that is comfortable for you.  Perhaps you should step back a little and focus on what you really want out of pet ownership.  There are tons of dogs out there needing homes I'm sure that there is one for you too.

lookingfornewf

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 02:30:14 am »
I think you should give it a few days, call the breeder and hope things have settled down. It sounds to me like they are trying once again to keep Gilligan. You have fallen in love with him and want him. Go visit Gilligan if you can and see if he will come to you and how he is acting. Good Luck.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 03:02:02 am »
I am with Tina...I would be very honest about the situation and tell them how I feel. Also, I would ask for a deposit back and walk away  :(
If they didn't show you dogs OFA records when you asked for it than something doesn't sound right. And yes, those records should be recorded and be open to public. Plus, not taking their dog back and trying to re-home it is a very good indicator of how much those people care about their puppies.
The only reason breeders like them still out there (and the number is growing) is because there is a demand and the best way to protect dogs is to buy from people who really do care about the breed or rescue the dog in need...there are many  :( 
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 04:14:01 am »
I agree with Tina as well. If they won't answer the phone, send them an email outlining exactly what your concerns are. Try to use as little emotion as possible so you don't sound b*tchy, even though you are justifiably frustrated. If there is a good reason for their lack of attention to you, you still want to be able to maintain a friendly relationship.

If they do not respond with lots of apologies and provide all information requested promptly then I think you need to walk away. When you are purchasing a dog from a breeder, you pay way too much money to be questioning your decision.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 04:23:21 am »
It's all a little sketchey to me.  I say follow your heart, it's not gonna lead you wrong.

Good luck with the e-mail.  I sincerely hope that they are just really busy and stressed right now, and come clean in a reply e-mail to you.   :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!