Author Topic: Akita Mix?  (Read 31819 times)

Offline cwarner

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Akita Mix?
« on: October 10, 2007, 08:14:51 pm »
Hi,  about 4 months ago we adopted what we were told is an Akita/Bullmastiff mix.  There is obviously Akita, but i'm not so sure about the mastiff.  Here are a few pictures and what do you guys think his mix could be?  He turns 1 this month so i'm guessing he'll start to fill out soon.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: Akita Mix?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 04:22:10 am »
I agree...his jowls, neck, and shape of his snout would all make me think mastiff. His tail and fur would make me think akita. Although I do see some shepherd in their with that coloring. I'm also not all that good a guessing mix breed but....if it was me, that's my guess!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 06:24:18 am »
Well, of course I see German Shepherd, too. I think that there's definitely some GSD in there based on his ears and coat. Both color and texture. (As much as you can tell texture from a photo..hahaha!)

But, his mask and schnozz do look kinda bigger, like perhaps a mastiff. But, I've also seen some kind of jowly labs, and there could even be some bloodhound there.

Mixes are just too mysterious. Something that seems for SURE a trait of one dog, could really be a trait of another breed that looks a particular way in relation to the traits of all the others! hahaha! He's adorable, and if I absolutely HAD to say, I would say Akita and GSD for sure, and probably either some bloodhound or maybe bullmastiff.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 07:04:21 am »
I only really see Shepherd and Akita. i don't really see any Mastiff. He is GORGEOUS!

Me too  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 07:40:35 am »
i've seen pure akita's with similar coloring, and masks are common of akitas.  axle has big jowls, and a huge neck, too, and he's pure...  there's definately a mix in there somewhere though i don't know what it would be.  axle didn't start filling out until about 18 months, but it wasn't a big change until after he was 2.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 07:41:10 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline cwarner

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 05:02:27 pm »
So i'm in the pet store tonight, and one of the staff people who come to find out trains dogs on the side came up to Kodiak thinking he was a Shar pei/sheppard mix ...  i myself came home and looked up a picture of a Shar pei, (which i have never seen one before)  and it got me to thinking, their posture is very much like an akita's and kodiak's,  the forward leaning body when standing, and the curly tail,  and the first picture i found had almost the exact same coloring as Kodiak, with that lighter strip of fur right behind the shoulders ... hmmm

« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 05:04:14 pm by cwarner »

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 08:15:08 am »
depending on the coloring of the akita, some of them have that streak behind the shoulders, too.  here's a picture of axle's whole body to help you out some :)  he's pure akita.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline MirandaS

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 08:25:53 am »
I'm not entirely sure how precise this is but I was reading on msnbc.msn.com that there is a new DNA test for figuring out what your mixed breed actually is.

Go to: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21156493/

One thing we all know for sure is he is super cute!

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 05:56:04 pm »
I read this same thing in the Chicago Tribune about 3 weeks ago.  Genetic testing to pinpoint the breed of your mix dog! 
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline Ivy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 07:01:36 am »
I came across a picture of your cute dog, and was astrounded at how much he looks like my dog Kozmo.  Kozmo's almost 10 years old, so his snout has more white in it than it used to, but he has your dog's build, shoulder markings, and coloring.  I think you're right about the Akita in him.  My vet mentioned that he thought Kozmo might also be part Sharpei because he was so wrinkley as a puppy.  We've also been told he might have some German Shepard in him as well.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 07:27:22 am by Ivy »

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 09:06:05 am »
I see Akita and Shepherd, too, although I'm not at all good at guessing mixes. I also wanted to say that he is beautiful!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Tonda

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 02:02:44 pm »
I totally see the bullmastiff. The colour, the neck, the way he sits, the legs: all mastiff. He screams it to me. The head and tail are very akita. I don't see shari pei at all (and I see A LOT of shari pei mixes in my local dog park).

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 03:34:24 pm »
I see the Akita in there, but the coat looks shorter than Kira's and she is a fb akita and she isnt a wooley either but like someone else said it's hard to really tell coat texture in the picture.
Whatever he is, he is a handsome boy!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak