Author Topic: 140 lbs of problem  (Read 5118 times)

jesday

140 lbs of problem
« on: February 05, 2009, 05:10:20 am »
Any ideas on how to re-train a dog to get in the car? Syrus has never been the best traveler. He gets a bit car sick but has been getting better. He has always been reluctant but hangs his head and gets in anyway.

They have been using the car ramp since there were puppies.

Yesterday I was going to take Syrus to the dog park and no matter what I did, he would not go up the ramp. I lifted front half, shoved rump, grabbed fur, happy voiced, tried treats and yes, yelled at the boy. "Get in the d_ _ _ car you son of a b _ _ _ _!" I could not handle him. Meantime Sophie is behind her barricade, jumping up and down, "I want to go, I want to go!"

I had to abandon ship, mainly because Sophie was getting too worked up. But now I don't know what to do. And he now has a 'win' under his belt.

Suggestions?

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 140 lbs of problem
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 05:52:04 am »
Or you could try tricking him with one of his fav. toys.  ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 06:44:33 am »
ditto on all of the above...and try not to bring your frustration with you...make it no big deal..just hang out time in the car if neccessay..

TATFK

Viking Lady

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 03:40:42 pm »
The treats worked for me too, with Luke. Now it's the only way I can get him in the car because he's had less frequent trips.

I'm sure Luke would agree with Syrus about the 140 pound problem, but I have recently put on some weight. hehe
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:43:14 pm by Viking Lady »

jesday

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 05:06:29 am »
Thanks guys. I bought some chicken livers :-X yesterday and will try those as special treats. He is not terribly food motivated so thought I'd use something he's never had.

I may let Sophie get in (she's always willing to go and if ever there was a dog with a reason not to get in a car) Maybe she can help as well if for no other reason than jealousy.

I'll try the idea of just getting him in and out, then small trips around the loop, then trips to fun places. Hopefully I can make this happen my the 19th. They're overdue for their 1yr vaccinations.

Hubs wants to buy a cattle prod. ::)

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 01:07:47 pm »

Hubs wants to buy a cattle prod. ::)

Ha!  This made me laugh....espec ially coming from Mr. Deer  Whisperer!  :)

I agree with all the suggestions so far....Syrus's problem reminds me of when Winston was afraid to go all the way down the drive way.  While I looked like a complete lunatic outside with all my celebrations (when he took, like, two steps forward down the driveway), the truth is that Champ was the real trainer.  The moment I gave up and gave him a big, "Screw you!  Fine, don't go on the walk!  I'll take Champ by himself!" he became insanely jealous and bolted down the driveway like he was going through the guillotine! 

Good luck!

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 02:12:35 pm »
I saw an episode with Cesar Milan addressing the same problem. Your case might be a tad different since a Newf can't really just jump in and out like the dog in this episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnzufLjYU1U
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 12:15:46 am »
I had a similar problem when we first adopted Raja, and I'm not really sure how we solved it.  Whatever happened, it worked.  Last week she managed to wiggle out of her collar on the leash (again! - she's a master escape artist, no matter what the collar no matter how tight)and just as I began to freak out, "Oh no!  She's making a run for it!" My husband stepped out of the car, quickly opened her door and she was inside faster than I could blink, happier than, well, whatever is happy.

I recall using treats (she's not majorly food motivated either, but her "brother" is and she's competative and wants whatever he has/wants).  Letting Bo or I get into the car first also helped as she loves to be by both of us (my husband will do the trick as well at times).  Beyond that? 

I feel your pain though.  I recall many not so fond memories of us feeling stranded in a parking lot somewhere with a big 100+ pound lug who refused to budge.  You can't exactly pick dogs this size up and put them in there (altough my husband has tried).
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP