Author Topic: Maggie limping - anyone else ever have this happen?  (Read 6347 times)

Offline maggiesmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Maggie limping - anyone else ever have this happen?
« on: February 11, 2009, 11:23:52 am »
Hi all, Maggie came home from the dog park and is limping on her right back leg. I am hoping that this is not related to her hips - I did the appropriate due diligence with the breeder, asking to see certs on the heart, hips, elbows, kidneys,etc -- all good.  I took her to the vet and she had x-rays after given a sedative (she was zonked out of her mind) and the vet said that her hips do not look bad. She said that there is no real sign of hip dysplasia although her right sided hip does not look as good as the left.  SHe did the tests on the her knee and said that she feels some instability.  I am hoping it is not a tear because i do not want little (BIG)  MAggie to have surgery. We are treating with two weeks of deramaxx and rest (well as much rest as you can give a newfie).  Anyone have any experience with this type thing? She does not appear in pain, she lets me move the leg all around but definitely has a limp at times and does not always appear to be putting full weight on the leg.  We have fed her so that she did not put weight on too quickly (we actually free feed Science Diet and she was on large puppy until one year old). The vet did not want her getting to heavy to fast.  She is now nearing 100 pounds. My husband does not recall maggie doing anything different this time at the park than any other time.  I am worried!

Patti
Patti

Proud mommy of..
Maggie - Newfie puppy (aka Mr. Freshy von Fresh)
Sophia - Chowbaby

Mommy will come one day for you.. we will meet again my loves...
Mrs. Tu - 17 y/o black chowbaby
Kirby -- - 1 y/o cream chow chow

lins_saving_grace

Re: Maggie limping - anyone else ever have this happen?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:28:40 am »
if it's the ACL, relaxing and couch rest with drugs will help for now.  but a partial tear is most likely to tear completely eventually. 
Keep an eye on it.  it may be a strain in the ligament and nothing more.  Lady, the other rott i had, would have strains in her leg a lot until one day the ACL just popped. 
ACL surgery isn't so bad...may as well get it over with.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 11:33:42 am »
Kaila has had 2 partial ACL tears in her right hind leg.  She also had pano as a pup.  She was less than a year old when she had her first partial tear and so we did the conservative maintenance.  Which is a lot of kennel rest, rimadyl, and a lot of leash time.  So not fun for a puppy with tons of energy.  But so far, knock on wood, she hasn't had any more issues with tears of the ACL. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline LDT

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 05:08:49 am »
Huh, we had two newfs that tore thier cruitate ligaments. One we knew imediately, she was simply walking and slipped on a piece of ice and lifed her leg right away, had to be corrected with surgery. The other one also tore the cruitate ligament, but he would walk fine for about 10-15 minutes, then became lame, surgery agan! Now, we have an older newf that has always had a on and off limp since he was a pup, the vets cannot find anything. If she needs surgery,you MUST follow the rehabilitaion instructions to the letter, if you do, they make a full recovery. Just our experiences, good luck
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:14:11 am by LDT »
I have tried nothing and I'm all out of Ideas!

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 05:14:56 am »
How's Maggie doing??? I wouldn't be too worried yet, maybe she just strained/pulled a muscle.  If it continues, I'd recheck for possible ortho issues....this is how Winston's (issues) started. 

Offline KylieMay

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 02:38:47 am »
Our previous Newfie (140 lb female) had TPLO surgery at about 2 years of age for a mostly-torn cruciate. Maybe things have changed in the last 10 years, but it was a pretty grueling and lengthy surgery/rehab. The other leg had a smaller tear, so we basically had to repair one of them. We maybe could have subsequently done the leg with the smaller tear, but just couldn't face it. She seemed to manage pretty well except for arthritis from a young age -- glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate highly recommended. Good luck!
Kylie
Owned by Mayhem, 1.5 yr-old Newfie

Chumley, Newfie, 1996-2008

Offline maggiesmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 06:31:40 am »
I want to give maggie the best possible. What do you recommend for food?  the vet was okay with the SC large breed. I also give her glucosamine.ch ondrotin as well as fish oil supplements.
Patti

Proud mommy of..
Maggie - Newfie puppy (aka Mr. Freshy von Fresh)
Sophia - Chowbaby

Mommy will come one day for you.. we will meet again my loves...
Mrs. Tu - 17 y/o black chowbaby
Kirby -- - 1 y/o cream chow chow