Author Topic: Somebody knock some sense into me please!  (Read 9168 times)

Lyn

Somebody knock some sense into me please!
« on: February 13, 2009, 06:27:11 am »
My hubby wanted to get me a puppy for Valentine's day. He found a litter of Newf/Saint mixes.. 2 breeds that I absolutely LOVE! I have not seen them and I don't really know any background on this litter so I can't really comment about that, once I find out more that may be a deal breaker regardless of my puppy fever. BUT....

Normally I would be ecstatic but I'm obviously second guessing the decision. Part of it might be the fact that I don't know much about this litter other than they look more Newf... but in a way we have a fairly good dynamic going on now.

It's not Bubba and Lola.. I just don't know if I want to do the puppy training all over again. I'm the one that does the all potty training and feeding and overall care since hubby works a fair bit. Plus I love my sleep, but who doesn't. LMAO At the same time though I'd love another dog expecially a newf and the puppy stage only lasts so long right. :-\

I know my hubby wants a Newf so bad.. but is this the right time? Ahhhhh...

Lyn

Re: Somebody knock some sense into me please!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 07:51:51 am »
I think your right Jackie. When we got Bubba and Lola there was no questioning it. I was so excited and didn't care what I was in for.. sleepless night etc.

It's like I'm purposely thinking up reasons NOT to get a puppy. Although part of it (I think) is because all the responsibility falls on me. Now that Bubba and Lola are adults I don't have to chase them around and wonder what they are getting into. I kind of like things the way they are. :-\

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:25:06 am »
I think that's my problem.. I have severe puppy fever. LOL

Just a little update.. They are asking if one of my Saints is a male. I think I know where that line of questioning is going. >:(

Even if I was ready for a pup I can't support these people.

I knew it! I just knew something was not right.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:26:55 am by Lyn »

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 10:55:11 am »
Are these the ones I saw online with a 1/4 yellow lab?  Its a newf/saint dad and a saint/lab mom?  If it is, then they are adorable.

However, I am of the same mindset as Jackie.  If there is some doubt, I'd wait.  Wait until you find a breeder with the right intentions and the perfect pup at the perfect time.

Hmmm, Hubby found it on a local forum that I'm registered on. Is it on Kijiji too? I'll have to look. The one I read doesn't say anything about lab, just Newf and Saint.

I haven't got a reply back yet since they asked if one of my Saints was male.

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:15:18 am »
Ok I'm pretty sure I found the ad. They told me they had no pics but they have a pic on there.  ???

http://norfolk.kijiji.ca/c-pets-dogs-puppies-for-sale-PUPPIES-St-Bernard-New-Foundlander-Cross-W0QQAdIdZ106662809

Cute puppy.. but they don't look Newf or Saint to me.  :-\ Plus they are only 6 weeks old.  :o

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 12:21:05 pm »
LOL I was tempted to correct their spelling. For some reason New Foundlander annoys me.  :D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 10:09:50 am »
Modified to add a pic of Bubba, Lola and Daisy. Daisy gravitated to Lola.. it was adorable.

Oh my goodness!  That picture is just too adorable!!!  I love it and could stare at it for hours.  :D  :-*  :-*

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 10:18:03 am »
I'm just in love with that picture of Lola, Bubba and Daisy!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 10:38:12 am »
She fit in so well.. I tried to keep her but my Aunt wasn't having it. ;) LOL I puppysat her for a week maybe a bit longer. That pic was taken back in June 08.

Hubby wanted a Bassett for ages after that. :D

Lyn

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 04:30:34 am »
Nah, no need for slapping. ;) I haven't really mentioned much about Lola's progress but I swore I posted that pic when I was puppysitting Daisy. :-\

She did meet 9 week old Neo Mastiff pup that I so wanted to steal. LOL She was fine with him but he just lounged and when he did finally move he just lumbered along. I've never seen such a lazy puppy. LOL

She actually seems more annoyed by the smaller ones since they don't seem to hold still or want to jump in her face. Lola seems to prefer a low key greetings but sometimes she'll surprise me by laying down for the little ones and letting them climb on her. ???

Honestly I really haven't put my finger on exactly what sets her off. It seems to be personality/dominance related but we can be at the vet clinic sitting across from a dog that is giving her the hairy eyeball and growling at her and she'll ignore it completely. Then on the other hand if a fight breaks out she'll want to get in there and tune the aggressor. She's complicated. LOL

Progess wise she's is doing really well and it happened alot faster than I thought it was going to.

Tonda

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 04:58:31 am »
She did meet 9 week old Neo Mastiff pup that I so wanted to steal. LOL She was fine with him but he just lounged and when he did finally move he just lumbered along. I've never seen such a lazy puppy. LOL

This is soooooooo Clancy. We call him Quaalude pup. He has occasional bouts of puppy frenzy (like when he guts the couch), but even then he only goes up to 4 (and the scale, as you all know, goes to 11 *grin*). I never thought I’d find something calmer than a Newf, but I’ll be d@mned if Clancy isn’t.

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 05:40:09 am »
LOL!

I've seen that Neo pup a couple times now. I'm truly amazed at his wrinkles. I could just squish his face all day. :P He has very thick/heavy wrinkles and when he sits the extra skin folds over his hips in like 3 rolls. :D It's hilarious and adorable at the same time.